DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I rewatched Menace ll Society last night for the first time in years. One thing that grabbed me was how it’s not particularly preachy at all. The message seems to be ‘this is how it is and this is how we live, it’s shit but what else are we going to do?’ and not a lot else. It’s more raw than Boyz in the Hood and not nearly as polished but still worth a watch. It really lacks that stand out performance.

6 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I rewatched Menace ll Society last night for the first time in years. One thing that grabbed me was how it’s not particularly preachy at all. The message seems to be ‘this is how it is and this is how we live, it’s shit but what else are we going to do?’ and not a lot else. It’s more raw than Boyz in the Hood and not nearly as polished but still worth a watch. It really lacks that stand out performance.

It's been a while since I saw it, and whilst when I was young I had no problem lazily grouping them all into "hip hop films" (if I'm being honest, the original reason for watching many of them is because they were loosely hip hop based), it's one of the worst of the genre, and like you said, lacks any kind of message (which is fine; not every film HAS to have one obviously).

Think it falls down as well because it's so fucking bleak. Boyz N The Hood is bleak as fuck as well, but there are some genuinely funny bits in it, whereas Menace II Society is just relentlessly serious. I don't need O-Dog pratfalling but something different would've been good.

I know he's a well regarded actor and rightly so but it's still weird seeing Toby Jones turn up in the Jurassic Park film on ITV

I'll be moaning though if he doesn't say 'cos he's a cunt' at any point, good film anyway, no idea why I haven't seen it before, good to be able to sort of connect Gomez to Happy Days if you do that six degrees of separation thing as well 

1 hour ago, Pogue said:

I know he's a well regarded actor and rightly so but it's still weird seeing Toby Jones turn up in the Jurassic Park film on ITV

*looks it up and sees its Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom*

1 hour ago, Pogue said:

I'll be moaning though if he doesn't say 'cos he's a cunt' at any point, good film anyway, no idea why I haven't seen it before, good to be able to sort of connect Gomez to Happy Days if you do that six degrees of separation thing as well 

puke GIF

• Paid Members

Jurassic World is The Force Awakens of the franchise. The rehash of the best bits of the original trilogy (so the first film) is a crowd pleaser. Fallen Kingdom has that ridiculous lava chase and Justice Smith so that knocks it down some stars already. The only positive is the end sets up an interesting 6th film.  

The lava chase is bollocks and the only other thing that genuinely wound me up was where a dinosaur winks at the fucking camera. Other than that it's a solid summer blockbuster, Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard are good but it's Ted Irvine that steals the show, a bit like Postlethwaite in The Lost World.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Jurassic World is The Force Awakens of the franchise. The rehash of the best bits of the original trilogy (so the first film) is a crowd pleaser. 

Fuck that. Jurassic World doesn't rehash any of the best bits of the originals and has no crowd pleasing moments. It's a miserable film with a nasty undercurrent that hates its own terrible, miserable characters. It's a badly made joyless film that somehow manages to have no fun in it at all despite being about rampaging dinosaurs (scientifically proven to be the most fun thing ever). It perfectly encapsulates everything wrong with the modern Summer blockbuster movie.

Can't stress enough how much I hate that piece of shit film.

I do hope they go all War For The Planet Of The Apes with the next one though. I want a dystopian future, dinosaurs everywhere, possibly on horseback, pockets of human resistance fighters trying not to get eaten by genetically modified winking superdinos.

• Awards Moderator

Jurassic World got past my radar on sheer blinkered nostalgia - my brain forced me to accept it because it's another Jurassic Park film come on don't not like it it's good really isn't it isn't it isn't it Jurassic Park Jurassic Park Jurassic Park. 

I was given no such mental filter for Fallen Kingdom and the pile of 10,000 Triceratops' shit that the film is was instantly clear. 

Which also means I don't like Jurassic World anymore either, but I can see why people did, at least initially. Fallen Kingdom has nothing to camouflage its shitness.

• Paid Members

I am much the same as Harmonic. I came out of JW thinking it was a fun summer blockbuster that rekindle my memories of 1993 all over again. On re-watches its lazy and generally pretty crap. I came out of Fallen Kingdom hoping, like @cobra_gordo, we would finally see a new type of Jurassic movie, not on a secluded island, not in a theme park, but a proper Planet of the Apes style romp where the world has had to adapt to Dinosoaurs coming back. Even though I know we have 2 stinkers, stupidly, I am looking forward to Dominion, or whatever the 3rd one is called, in the hope we may finally get a great sequel to the original.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Ah, the old Baywatch defence.

Get a new joke.I know you may struggle, but there are plenty of funny people who can probably help you. Also, Pogue made the mistake of loving Fallen Kingdom last night and admitting to writing that half way through watching, which was "the Baywatch defence". 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch