DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

51 minutes ago, Loki said:

There should be a name for it, like Californian Dry or something.  I love those sorts of films too, the feel of a Western but usually a mode modern setting.  No Country For Old Men as well.

You'd probably like White Sands if you haven't seen it Pat, it's a nice mix of this genre and a bit of noir.  Also Lone Star.

I've not seen White Sands, so will add to the list. I have seen Lone Star not for ages mind, great shout though!. Still actually havent seen No Country. I have it on DVD just not actually got round to viewing as yet..

Thanks for all the recommendations all

• Paid Members

1990s neo-noir is full of films of that sort of ilk, it's one of my favourite things in cinema. You could probably make a case for Red Rock West, Kill Me Again and Blood Simple falling in these categories. One False Move too.

• Paid Members

Soon as I was trawling through all this, I immediately thought of One False Move, but I knew D-Mal wouldn't lemme down.
My da brought me to see One False Move in the flicks, because I was a huge Bill Paxton fan as a kid. I loved him for that!
I'm watching that tonight now...

Edited by Scott Malbranque
dot dot dot

• Paid Members
Just now, Scott Malbranque said:

Soon as I was trawling through all this, I immediately thought of One False Move, but I knew D-Mal wouldn't lemme down.
My da brought me to see One False Move in the flicks, because I was a huge Bill Paxton fan as a kid. I loved him for that!
I'm watching that tonight now...

It's one of the best crime films of the 1990s. An absolute travesty that it wasn't given a shot at a wide release, and probably the best performance of Bill's career. The ending is stunning, but it's all great.

• Paid Members

Olyphant actually classed it as the movie - and performance -  that made him want to be an actor, and it shows, as there's a smite of Paxton in Olyphantastic.

I actually think I have the cinema stub at home from it. I found a box full of them from the early to late 90s when I was clearing out my dads house. Four Event Horizon tickets on different dates and the most bizarre ones being "Bio-Dome" and "The Mirror Has Two Faces". No idea - none whatsoever - why I went to see the latter at 16 years of age, but I'm sure it was herself's fault, or I wanted UCI (Odeon) Nachos...

• Paid Members

Think the worst thing I was ever dragged to see was Woman on Top. Never forgave my friends for that and I still moan about it to them to this day.

• Paid Members

While looking for a copy of Papillon I've discovered a remake was made a couple of years back.

For those who have seen it how does it stack up against the original and is it worth a go over re-watching the original?

• Paid Members

I watched Mommie Dearest tonight, the film about Joan Crawford's less than stellar parental abilites. It's got a reputation as a shite classic (it won a Razzie, fuck the Razzies) and it was massively over the top, but I genuinely enjoyed it for what it was as well as finding the cack bits amusing. The scene where she goes apoplectic with a wire coat-hanger was genuinely frightening.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, gmoney said:

I watched Mommie Dearest tonight, the film about Joan Crawford's less than stellar parental abilites. It's got a reputation as a shite classic (it won a Razzie, fuck the Razzies) and it was massively over the top, but I genuinely enjoyed it for what it was as well as finding the cack bits amusing. The scene where she goes apoplectic with a wire coat-hanger was genuinely frightening.

I started watching this last year but struggled with it from the off. Should give it another shot, really.

7500 (nefarious means)

Not sure why Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been so quiet recently but if it's by choice and he's picking smaller projects like this, fair play. He's great in this, a claustrophobic thriller about a co-pilot fighting off hijackers. It's all shot from within the cockpit and it's really well done. Slightly peters out towards the end but a good little thriller.

Waking Ned (Amazon Prime)

Lovely comedy that I didn't realise was such a big hit when it was released. I shouldn't have taken so long to watch it, it's very funny and relaxing and Ian Bannen and David Kelly are brilliant in the leads.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Waking Ned (Amazon Prime)

Lovely comedy that I didn't realise was such a big hit when it was released. I shouldn't have taken so long to watch it, it's very funny and relaxing and Ian Bannen and David Kelly are brilliant in the leads.

I was working at a UCI when this came out, we had a run of great little films like this, then Arlington Road (which seems to get no love, anywhere!) Plunkett and Macleane (ditto) It's a superb little film. Occasionally cropped up late night on normal telly about a decade ago and now is on Prime, well worth going to have a watch

30 minutes ago, patiirc said:

I was working at a UCI when this came out, we had a run of great little films like this, then Arlington Road (which seems to get no love, anywhere!) Plunkett and Macleane (ditto) It's a superb little film. Occasionally cropped up late night on normal telly about a decade ago and now is on Prime, well worth going to have a watch

Both great films. I enjoyed Plunkett and Macleane so much when it came out, but I have never watched it back. Will give it another bash this morning.

Dating Amber

This film really means well, but it all feels so contrived and "Hey remember the 90s!!!" and that overshadows the heart of the story, which is a massive shame.

Sharon Horgan continues to be the fittest person ever though.

Never Rarely Sometimes Always

Contrasted to the previous, this film about a 17 year old who finds herself pregnant and unable to get an abortion in her state feels incredibly authentic and at times heartbreaking.

Beach Rats was great, and this is another belter from Eliza Hittman, the two leads are great (especially Sidney Flanagan). A massive recommend.

Do The Right Thing

Incredibly relevant (then again, it always has been), this swaps with Back To The Future as my favourite film ever. I just think it's perfect in every aspect.

Something or someone new grabs me every time, this time it was Rosie Perez. She's wonderful.

Mallrats

Don't care. 14/10