DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

CHILDREN OF MEN (Netflix) - I hadn't rewatched it in a number of years, and in many ways it often gets forgotten, but fuck me, I don't know if its the times we're living in but it really affected me a lot more than it used to. There's a lot of parallels that are uncomfortable to watch now that there are people who appear on BBC news who want this type of shit. Clive Owen doesn't do much so that helps. It is superbly directed. An underrated gem really.

To get all University essay on you all, it shows what people can become when the government orchestrates their fears for its own advantage

Edited by Factotum

10 hours ago, Factotum said:

I ended up watching the sequel a few months back around a mates. Gumbo's back in it with Billy Mitchell from 'Enders.

Featuring him uttering the words "We think catenaccio is a frothy coffee, not a deep lying defence system". 11/10.

• Paid Members

Running on Empty (ok.ru)

Just when I think I've watched all of Sidney Lumet's best films, I find another that's brilliant. He's bound to have a few hidden gems in such an illustrious career but this deserves to be regarded as one of his very best. And just how many great River Phoenix performances have we missed out on?

The Vast of Night (Amazon Prime)

A 1950s, Twilight Zone homage sci-fi mystery where absolutely nothing happens. Similar to how so many indie horror films lately have covered over having nothing of depth with some pretty aesthetics, except in a different genre. I'm not buying this shit.

• Paid Members

Mississippi Grind (2015)

Ryan Reynolds and Ben Mendolsohn strike up an unlikely friendship and go on a road trip, in search of that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that every gambler is chasing. They both put in good performances here and the arc their characters take is compelling. You're left guessing to the very end if it's going to be a happy ending or not. 

Outbreak (1997)

We've all seen it. I just reckoned I should compare how Dustin Hoffman contained that monkey, in light of current events. It was also nice to watch Kevin Spacey's character suffer in the film, considering what a dirt bag he turned out to be. 

American Graffiti (1973)

By God was Richard Dreyfuss young looking here. It's mostly about Dreyfuss (and some of his friends to a lesser degree) and his trying to make his decision on what is supposed to be his last night in his hometown, before going off to college, trying to decide what he really wants from life. I thought Paul Le Mat's story, as the town's local version of James Dean who feels that life may have been passing him by, was the most compelling character in the film. A young Harrison Ford pops up too. 

The Blue Dahlia (1946)

I liked this. Alan Ladd's character returns from the war with his two friends, and very shortly thereafter his wife is found dead. The film centres on the whodunnit, with Ladd on the run as the chief suspect. William Bendix and Howard Da Silva put in good performances and steal the film really. Ladd carries his part well, but he's at least third on the list for who was best in this one. 

The Enforcer (1951)

Bogie here as the assistant DA, trying to keep a key witness safe to get to trial and put the leader of a group of hitmen behind bars. There are a lot of flashbacks to tell the story, and it's quite interesting as it jumps back and forth with little things getting revealed in each jump back in time. Good stuff. 

Out for Justice (1991)

Seagal at his pomp, doing Steven Seagal shit. William Forsythe was good as the drug crazed psychopath, who Seagal was hunting all over Brooklyn for revenge. You really wanted to see Seagal catch him and make him pay. And that's the point really, isn't it? Plus, Gina Gershon shows up. Always a thumbs up. 

Machine Gun Kelly (1958)

The weakest, or least enjoyable, of the film's in this post. I didn't think much of this one really. It's one of the earliest roles I've seen Bronson in, and while he looks like Charles Bronson, that distinct voice wasn't quite all the way there in this, nor did I think he was projecting that same aura that he would throughout the 60's and 70's. I didn't think there was any singular performance that really grabbed this movie in order to elevate it, though Susan Cabot, as his main squeeze, was good at being hateable. Decent viewing if you have nothing to be at, but not worth going out of your way to see if you haven't already. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Can't disagree with much there, @WeeAl, although I wasn't much of a fan of The Enforcer for reasons I can't remember. Out for Justice was definitely Seagal's best, William Forsythe was superb in it. Nice to see some love for Mississippi Grind too, really good little film. Ben Mendelsohn is magic.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can't disagree with much there, @WeeAl, although I wasn't much of a fan of The Enforcer for reasons I can't remember. Out for Justice was definitely Seagal's best, William Forsythe was superb in it. Nice to see some love for Mississippi Grind too, really good little film. Ben Mendelsohn is magic.

Aye Forsythe plays the cunt like a gem. Mississippi Grind went under the radar completely with me until I watched it recently. Very relieved at how good it turned out to be as it sounded right up my alley, but I was wondering why I had missed it. Naturally, with having heard nothing about it, I feared that it mustn't be up to much, but It was as good as I'd hoped. 

On 6/3/2020 at 10:04 PM, WeeAl said:

Mississippi Grind (2015)

Ryan Reynolds and Ben Mendolsohn strike up an unlikely friendship and go on a road trip, in search of that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that every gambler is chasing. They both put in good performances here and the arc their characters take is compelling. You're left guessing to the very end if it's going to be a happy ending or not. 

On 6/3/2020 at 10:09 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Nice to see some love for Mississippi Grind too, really good little film. Ben Mendelsohn is magic.

Thanks for the recommendations was an amazing film

9 hours ago, patiirc said:

Thanks for the recommendations was an amazing film

I saw Mississippi Grind in a London cinema with my now-wife when it came out. I think there were maybe two other people in the screening, which was disheartening but not surprising. 

Really enjoyed the film then and on a subsequent re-watch. One of those fairly recent films that felt like a throwback to the New Hollywood days of the 70s. 

Speaking of, I'd recommend watching Robert Altman's California Split if you liked Mississippi Grind.

Edited by SaitoRyo

17 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

I saw Mississippi Grind in a London cinema with my now-wife when it came out. I think there were maybe two other people in the screening, which was disheartening but not surprising. 

Really enjoyed the film then and on a subsequent re-watch. One of those fairly recent films that felt like a throwback to the New Hollywood days of the 70s. 

Speaking of, I'd recommend watching Robert Altman's California Split if you liked Mississippi Grind.

I shall seek it out. I'm kinda loving those kind of movies at the moment, sort of American Frontier/West but with modern spins or in some cases not modern spins. It's nearly always about personal growth and bonding but it's very evocative, the scenery is stunning and the actors usually formidable. Chuck in a heist or gambling or some such and I will watch them all day long From  the likes of  Bad Day at Black Rock, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Charley Varrick, Mississippi Grind, The Limey, Logan Lucky ( for three  ore modern takes) and then heist stuff like The Hot Rock. heck, probably squeeze Sneakers in their too and Up in the Air for some variety

If anyone has more recommendations, then I am definitely all ears. I've probably missed some belters along the way

• Paid Members

The Descendants (nefarious means)

I've always been a bit mixed with feelings on Alexander Payne films but I think this is his best, just ahead of About Schmidt. It deals with a lot and does so maturely and without any hysteria or cliche. I've always liked George Clooney as an actor but he's quite fantastic here, possibly career best form.

Flightplan (nefarious means)

A complete turd. Regularly gets described as Hitchcockian but it can't even compare to his worst. Should have been a decent little thriller, instead it's just boring and Jodie Foster is rubbish in this sort of film.

Get Smart (Netflix)

Not bad at all. Works reasonably well as comedy and action and Carell and Hathaway have good chemistry. Alan Arkin's the most fun of all though, I love that guy.

6 hours ago, patiirc said:

I shall seek it out. I'm kinda loving those kind of movies at the moment, sort of American Frontier/West but with modern spins or in some cases not modern spins. It's nearly always about personal growth and bonding but it's very evocative, the scenery is stunning and the actors usually formidable. Chuck in a heist or gambling or some such and I will watch them all day long From  the likes of  Bad Day at Black Rock, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Charley Varrick, Mississippi Grind, The Limey, Logan Lucky ( for three  ore modern takes) and then heist stuff like The Hot Rock. heck, probably squeeze Sneakers in their too and Up in the Air for some variety

If anyone has more recommendations, then I am definitely all ears. I've probably missed some belters along the way

There should be a name for it, like Californian Dry or something.  I love those sorts of films too, the feel of a Western but usually a mode modern setting.  No Country For Old Men as well.

You'd probably like White Sands if you haven't seen it Pat, it's a nice mix of this genre and a bit of noir.  Also Lone Star.

Edited by Loki