DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES (NETFLIX) I've read a few Lawrence Block crime books and they're always entertaining, but I resisted watching this at it seemed to be another Liam Neeson action film. However, its a pretty good Private Detective Film, with Neeson giving a nice stoic performance. Its quite uncomfortable at times to see the build up to the murders, David Harbour plays unsettling well. Probably the best Neeson led film from that whole period.

East Is East

Such a wonderful film, and as moving as when I first saw it.

Everyone is great but Om Puri and Linda Bassett are just superb, absolute next level performances from both.

Weirdly, with each watch I find myself sympathising with George more.

Don't get me wrong, I obviously don't condone what he does or how he behaves, but I used to see him as an absolute monster, and now he seems more like a bit of a tragic figure, and I can understand his struggle more.

Weirdly, just realised that for how much I love the film, I've never seen West Is West. 

• Paid Members

6 Underground 

Mopey Muse soundtrack and some not even remotely subtle product placement aside, great action pretty much from the start, very funny and Adria Ajona is an absolute rocket. Top popcorn action flick. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Watched Toy Story 3 again today. It’s absolutely fantastic as we all know, but one thing I hadn’t noticed before was a Ghibli Totoro playing with all the other toys in the credits! 

• Paid Members

The Ice Storm (Mubi)

I still haven't watched that many Ang Lee films but clearly I should change that. This is the best I've seen from him so far - an absolutely stacked cast playing out bored upper class lives to an unexpected tragedy, it's an acting masterclass.

Body of Lies (Amazon Prime)

One more for the 'Ridley Scott might be shit' evidence pile. Absolutely pointless, jingoistic bullshit, nobody ever needed to see this aside from when Leo pushes Russell Crowe off his chair.

POW: The Escape (YouTube)

Unheralded Cannon actioner set during Vietnam. David Carradine says "Everybody goes home" 768 times and UKFF favourite Steve James gets a good-sized role too. Surprisingly decent story as well, but the action is what you're here for, and it's good quality.

• Paid Members

Blinded By The Light 

Superb. Soundtrack is fantastic even before you hear one of Brucie's bangers. Star turns from several cast members (Nell Williams is great as tory-hating Eliza) and you'll go through the suitable range of emotions throughout the film. Luton is painted perfectly as the suitably grim shithole it was/is (with apologies to any local residents reading this). Just warms the cockles really. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter
Can't spell.

• Paid Members

The Bling Ring (Mubi)

This is so fucking shit, but even worse than that it's just so pointless. What's the point of taking the piss out of rich cunts if you're then going to have Paris Hilton in it? Emma Watson is a terrible actress and she should feel terrible.

Shanghai Express (DailyMotion)

Marlene Dietrich was absolutely ridiculously stunning. But also a brilliant actress and her work with the dialogue in this staves off disappointment in the predictable plot. Not the outright classic I was expecting but still worth seeing.

Date Night (nefarious means)

I really like Steve Carell so I'm polishing off all the other reportedly good films by him I haven't seen yet. Could have done without the surprise James Franco but this was loads of fun, and not dissimilar to The Lovebirds.

• Paid Members

The Fallen Idol (ok.ru)

Carol Reed made this between Odd Man Out and The Third Man, and that has to go down as one of the most underrated three film runs from a director in history. This is a brilliant but unusual noir, and even the kid wasn't annoying.

Frog Dreaming (Amazon Prime)

Had never heard of this until a few days ago. So it's an Australian fantasy adventure with Elliott from E.T. and Bronwyn from Neighbours about a monster living in a nearby creek. It's pretty enjoyable and worth an hour and a half of your time.

The 40 Year Old Virgin (nefarious means)

The usual Judd Apatow overlong, hit-and-miss thing. Some truly great moments, a total underusing of Jane Lynch, who's brilliant, and the usual Seth Rogen drugs shit. Apatow will never make a great film but hiring an editor might help.

• Paid Members

The Driver (1978)

Thanks very much Talking Pictures for showing this last night. What a brilliant film this was. Phenomenal car chase scenes, but the last one, in the warehouse? Lovely stuff. Ryan O' Neal was kind of like a cross between McQueen and Nolte here, and that's no bad thing. Talking Pictures will join my favourites list, along with other beauties such as TCM and the Sony channels. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Frog Dreaming (Amazon Prime)

Had never heard of this until a few days ago. So it's an Australian fantasy adventure with Elliott from E.T. and Bronwyn from Neighbours about a monster living in a nearby creek. It's pretty enjoyable and worth an hour and a half of your time.

Got shown quite a few times on BBC back in the day then disappeared without trace, to the point that for a few years, pre Internet, I thought I had imagined the whole film and my brother said I was full of shit and it didn't exist. That wasn't helped by it apparently having half a dozen different titles when you look for it online. Still vividly remember the monster 'reveal' 

Edited by chokeout

I’ve just remembered that film for the first time in about 30years! What’s blown my mind more though is that Henry James is Elliott and I’ve never realised until now, even after The Haunting of Hill House.