Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

22 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Not watched Foxcatcher in ages, but really enjoyed it when I saw it. It’s grim as fuck, but a great watch and I’d give anything to have a Team Foxcatcher trackietop. Mark Schultz fucking hates it by all accounts

Fuck yeah. That'd be up there with a velour 2003 Team Angle trackie! 

Just now, PowerButchi said:

Death Wish was on ITV4 on Monday and is still amazing and after it I finally watched Foxcatcher after it. The two hours flew by and I didn't go for a fag or piss once during it which is like an Oscar in my eyes. Steve Carell was ace in it. 

Yeah, Carell was excellent as the pathetic, desperate Du Pont.  I didn't think of Michael Scott once when I watched it which is a huge credit to him as the two nigh on blur into one with me.

The Hunt

If you thought Damon Lindelof couldn't fuck up a simple The Most Dangerous Game / Hard Target / Surviving the Game story, guess again. Betty Gilpin is great but this is absolutely pathetic and unnecessarily politicised bollocks. 

I think my expectations were so low for The Hunt I enjoyed it, but I can see why it’s not so well received 

Betty Gilpin remains the main sell for me but I'll wait until it's a regular rental rather than a home cinema price.

14 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Betty Gilpin remains the main sell for me but I'll wait until it's a regular rental rather than a home cinema price.

It's not even worth a Putlockering.

Watched TOO LATE on Prime the other day mainly as John Hawkes is in it and he's great in everything. LA Noir with him playing a PI. All the scenes are one long takes and they're pretty well done. Anyway, its not going to pull up any tress but its enjoyable to watch with the story not in order so various things are revealed to you at different times. It works well in this rather than as a Pulp Fiction rip off gimmick. Would recommend checking it out as I hadn't heard anything about it and it was a good way to spend 100 mins

The Conversation

I'm absolutely sure this is Coppola's greatest film now, there's no question. I really want to rewatch Enemy of the State now as well, another reason why I'm glad I watched this again.

Foxtrot Six

Indonesia can stop making action films now, thanks. Over-long and stupid as usual, it was always going to be downhill after The Night Comes for Us.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Fruity French art erotica just like they used to make in the 80s and 90s and show on Channel 4 on Sunday nights. By way of a bonus, also a really excellent film, which helps.

52 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Coffee & Kareem

Netflix want us to die.

A classic example of someone thinking of a pun title and then having to make a film around it. It looked horrible 

Major_league_ii.jpg

Major League II was on the Sony Movie channel earlier and if I have seen it before it was a long, long time ago, which is strange considering how many times I must've watched the first film.  I did miss the opening half hour but I don't think I missed much.  The team are back together for another season, if a little older looking, with one exception, Wesley Snipes clearly thought better of returning and they drafted in another actor to reprise the role of Willie Hayes, while Jake Taylor's dodgy knees mean he's hung up his spikes and is now assistant coach.  The plot is practically identical to the first although there is a sub-plot of fame having gone to Rick Vaughn's head and him having a crisis of confidence as he loses the zip on his fast ball.  If you've seen the first film you know how this one is going to end.  I did get a kick out of Vaughn returning to his "Wild Thing" ways at the end complete with glasses and parts of his hair shaved as the tuned blared out in the stadium.  Bob Uecker is great again and Margaret Whitton is quality in her cameo role. I could've done without the stereotypical Japanese character who signs for the Indians mid-way through the season though. In all honesty it's not the best and not a patch on the first but I don't resent watching it.

I quite like the Major League films but Mr. Baseball is better.

The best baseball film aside from Eight Men Out is The Bad News Bears though.

5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I still don't think I've ever seen the first one but I used to love major League 2

Find it, it's really great.

They both are.

Dumb & Dumber

Watched it with the kids (few bits were covered with coughs but i thought there was more to hide from them to be honest) but its still stupid and funny, even though 7yo thought the "selling the dead bird to a blind kid" was awful and it upset her a bit.

I just laughed at it again.

Hustlers

Good fun and a great soundtrack. Will never not enjoy hearing E-Talking appear in anything.

Jennifer Lopez's stripping? 11/10.