DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Watched the remake of The Magnificent Seven last night. By no means a masterpiece but its a lot of fun with a belting cast and it's always great to see a popcorn western that doesn't take itself too seriously. I know since Unforgiven people have strived to show the grim reality of the old west but there's a time and place for Denzel riding his horse through a window then using it for cover. 

"I do believe that bear was wearing people clothes" 

• Paid Members
Just now, chokeout said:

Watched the remake of The Magnificent Seven last night. By no means a masterpiece but its a lot of fun with a belting cast and it's always great to see a popcorn western that doesn't take itself too seriously. I know since Unforgiven people have strived to show the grim reality of the old west but there's a time and place for Denzel riding his horse through a window then using it for cover. 

"I do believe that bear was wearing people clothes" 

I enjoyed it, too. It should have been called The Magnificent Eight though because Haley Bennett does more than most of them in that film.

The County

Probably the film I've enjoyed the most this year to be honest, despite it being a bit bleak in places.

Inga and Reynir are Icelandic farmers fighting their corner, and trying to stay afloat in the modern world, and their relationship with the shady local co-op that control things isn't exactly rosy. The clashes between the traditional ways of working and how Inga wants to modernise makes for interesting tension.

Stellar performances (Inga particularly), and Iceland always make for beautiful film. Highly recommended if Scandinavian films about farming are your bag.

Educating Rita

One of those films that is so associated with doing GCSE and A Level drama for me, that it's just told me my Geordie accent is shit, and I've walked out of the assembly hall.

Incredible performances from Caine and Walters (probably in the top 10 of all time for me) make this film, and the scene in which Rita/Susan sits in the pub next to her Mum still makes me weep. Love it. 11/10.

The Lovebirds A couple on the wane get caught up in a murder and flee the scene of the crime with shenanigans to follow. It’s not original or groundbreaking but I enjoyed it a lot. That was in no small part down to the leads, Kumail Nanjiani is one of the most likeable actors around (even the new improved chiselled version) and Issa Rae, who I’d never heard of, was excellent. It’s on Netflix.

Edited by Mr_Danger

Ready Player One - this really passed me by, I knew nothing about it and have no idea what the reviews were like but having been signing Spielberg's praises I thought I should catch up.

It's really excellent.  Given how difficult a proposition it is to sell a story where the protagonists spend half their time appearing in completely different guises, and you have to juggle two different universes, it's an incredibly coherent and fun film.  Mrs Loki, who generally doesn't like CGI heavy movies or scifi, loved it and said "it's got that Spielberg magic" which it did.

It may not be in his top drawer of films, but I once again find myself marvelling at his range.  Not many (if any other) directors have the breadth of genre understanding to make Jaws, ET and Schindler's List.

• Paid Members

It's nowhere near top tier Spielberg but I really liked it. I was hoping he'd be working on a sequel by now but no he's fucking about with West Side Story.

I’m not normally one of those “the film isn’t as good as the book” wankers but I make an exception for Ready Player One. 
They completely butchered the book and removed all the adventure stuff and replaced it with car chases and explosions. It seemed to have lost all its heart and peril that the book contained. 

I guess it’s due to licensing issues, but I’m gutted they cut out the part where he had to re-create the scene from Life of Brian, rather than The Shining, as well as the Rush guitar solo. The Dungeons & Dragons, arcade game, 80s music and text-adventure game stuff was all cut out and they swapped storylines to other characters. 

I watched the film straight after finishing reading the book as I loved it and couldn’t wait to see how they did it but I ended up really disappointed with how it turned out. It had so much potential but seemed to care more about being able to get the rights to famous characters more than the story of the movie. 

It should have been this swirling epic but ended up just being a quite basic action movie for kids. 

Due to the nature of the story though it kind of needed to be switched around what they could work with. It's one thing in a book to write "and he performed the whole of War Games flawlessly without fluffing any of the lines from the film" and another to try and represent that sort of thing on screen and all the rights involved. World building and so on might have been lost but as a film, not a bad couple of hours entertainment and still hits the beats and absorbs the nostalgia fix the book is essentially trying to create. With less 30 page essays about how great wanking is.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

With less 30 page essays about how great wanking shitting is.

22 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Sounds like the pitch for ‘UKFF: The Movie’

• Paid Members

Just giving Looper a watch. It's strange seeing Joseph Gordon Levitt made to look like Bruce Willis. 

• Paid Members

Kung Fu Killer (Amazon Prime)

Like a martial arts Se7en as Donnie Yen chases a serial killer. Slows down a bit in the middle but the fights are great, especially at the end, and it works alright as a crime thriller too.

Dead Calm (nefarious means)

Still a superb thriller which even Billy Zane comes out of well, and when did that ever happen? Even the tacked-on ending works quite well. Absolutely no fat on this one, it's great.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:28 PM, SuperBacon said:

You've Got Mail

A wonderful film. Just really lovely. I know it's considered the lesser of the Ephron triple giants (Your Harrys and Sallys, your Sleeplesses), but it was great.

I used to dislike Tom Hanks quite a bit, as I thought he was overrated and limited, and I fully hold my hands up that this was a bad opinion on my behalf. I've always enjoyed his films and thought he was merely "good" in them. He's in the GOAT running.

Incredibly for a film that revolves around the brand new concept of chat rooms, emailing and early IM, it doesn't feel dated at all.

Fuck conventional opinion, it's the best of the three, easily. I really love this film. Not just because it's a throwback to a different time and in a strange way that era appeals to me (when you first got the internet and had no idea what was in store), not just because it uses New York in a far better way than Harry Met Sally (or most films set in New York, for that matter). The dialogue, the quirkiness, the fun and heart of it is fantastic, the chain vs. Mom and Pop store element, its fucking brilliant. Films like this usually are completely unmemorable to me, but this is an exception. I enjoy it the more I watch it. Hanks is fantastic, Meg Ryan is in her  best role, and in a very rare criticism, I almost wish it was five to ten minutes longer so the Joe/Kathleen budding friendship has a little more time to breathe before the meeting in the park. 

Edited by Liam O'Rourke