DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

When did you first see it? It's a film I've loved more each time I've seen it, but I only saw it for the first time about 5 years ago - it was one I knew I had to be in the mood for, and my partner insisted on me seeing it on the big screen for the first time. It's such an immersive experience that it's difficult the first time, especially if you have the lights on, pause it to make a cup of tea or take a phone call, etc. It's one that rewards as few distractions as possible.

Linked to that, actually, what's the best cinema for that kind of thing in Stockport/Manchester? Is there anywhere that does classic film showings well? (I go up sometimes to visit my Nan - the Plaza looks gorgeous, but haven't managed to go to anything there, outside of their cafe).

I first saw it when I was about 20 and it was a good 15 or so years before I rewatched it. But yes, it's certainly a mood thing.

The Plaza is definitely the best place around here for that sort of thing. They do play the occasional classic at HOME but Plaza is your best bet. Might be worth checking around the universities and Affleck's Palace, there are a few film societies floating around that might let in some non-students.

• Paid Members

We watched Playing with Fire (dubious methods) the other day. Daughter found it hysterical, I thought it reminded me of those early 90's wacky kid comedies like Dennis and Baby's Day Out. Big Match John was alright, but overall found it pretty meh. At least Judy Greer was in it for a bit.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

We watched Playing with Fire (dubious methods) the other day. Daughter found it hysterical, I thought it reminded me of those early 90's wacky kid comedies like Dennis and Baby's Day Out. Big Match John was alright, but overall found it pretty meh. At least Judy Greer was in it for a bit.

I quite liked it, the cast is great and Cena is such a natural at comedy. It knows what it is and doesn't try to exceed its limitations.

2001 has amazing special effects, and because it was all in camera they’ve aged supremely well.

There was an article I read a few years ago about how they did the spacecraft’s graphical display as, of course, there were no computers powerful enough to create such a display at the time.

Interestingly the back projection that they used so extensively in 2001 is having a renaissance now with wraparound super hi def screens projecting your CGI locations rather than using green screen.

• Moderators

I saw 2001 for the first time, like a lot of people, when the BBC showed it sometime in the early 90s, on a tiny 14 inch screen, just like Kubrick intended. It was a Saturday night, and they played it up as being a Star Wars style adventure, and made a big deal out of how they were airing it in widescreen. Although so's not to freak people out and think something was wrong with their TVs, they superimposed painted stars on the black bars.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I quite liked it, the cast is great and Cena is such a natural at comedy. It knows what it is and doesn't try to exceed its limitations.

I prefered Blockers for a John Cena comedy. I mean it wasn't awful, if I had to sit through it again, and probably will have to, I could.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Loki said:

2001 has amazing special effects, and because it was all in camera they’ve aged supremely well.

I went to the Kubrick exhibition last year, which had some stuff from it, including a small replica of the station set. You know the scene where he's running in anti-gravity in the station? Done with the aid of a massive rotating set, with a camera moving as well in the middle, like a giant hamster wheel.

A good few years ago I got a gig to edit the original, unused score for 2001 onto the film for some exhibition or screening, I forget what.  It was a really interesting experience, and it meant I went through the whole film with a fine tooth comb.  The whole thing is a masterpiece of editing, pacing, effects.

I mean, it's no Death Wish 3, but it's still pretty good.

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

I went to the Kubrick exhibition last year, which had some stuff from it, including a small replica of the station set. You know the scene where he's running in anti-gravity in the station? Done with the aid of a massive rotating set, with a camera moving as well in the middle, like a giant hamster wheel.

I went to that! I was in fanboy heaven!

• Paid Members

I went too. Amazing exhibition. Was surreal to see the props (the car from Clockwork Orange and HAL particularly so), but there were some excellent pieces that went into a lot of detail about Kubrick's philosophies regarding almost every aspect of film-making. I remember especially the note about how, when it came to lighting, he tended to think more in terms of shade and shadow than light. 

• Paid Members

Brewster's Millions (Sony Movie Channel)

Definitely should have left the memories alone with this one. It's just got no jokes in it, at all. Millions of characters and lots of spending but no jokes. Which is amazing considering who the two leads are. Not really much Walter Hill could do with this one but I hope it bought him a nice house.

Faster (Film4)

Certainly the worst film I've seen from The Rock. Its title is stupid, for a start, but that's nothing compared to the plot, characters, and the twist ending. Everyone is so bad in it that even Maggie Grace looked competent. Whoever was playing her boyfriend wants shooting, he was the worst of the lot. Just bloody miserable.

• Paid Members

Three the Hard Way (YouTube)

Superb blaxploitation actioner with the perfect trio of Williamson, Brown and Kelly as the leads. The plot is bloody mental (a white supremacist is trying to invent a chemical that will kill only black people) and the action scenes are great. Not the quality of soundtrack I'd expect but still ace.

Back in Action (YouTube)

The Rowdy Roddy Piper / Billy Blanks action film from the 90s. Features a fight about every 90 seconds and Piper busts out a bulldog, a clothesline, a sleeper hold and a dropkick, although I reckon the latter was a stunt double. Really good fun.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Three the Hard Way (YouTube)

Superb blaxploitation actioner with the perfect trio of Williamson, Brown and Kelly as the leads. The plot is bloody mental (a white supremacist is trying to invite a chemical that will kill only black people) and the action scenes are great. Not the quality of soundtrack I'd expect but still ace.

Have you seen the Black Six? That's my favourite blaxploitation film, 6 black American football players against 150 Hells Angels.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Have you seen the Black Six? That's my favourite blaxploitation film, 6 black American football players against 150 Hells Angels.

No but it's high on my list. This was great though so I might have to get to it soon.