Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Joker

Joaquin Phoenix is great and in other news, water is wet. What about the rest of it though?

26 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Joker

Joaquin Phoenix is great and in other news, water is wet. What about the rest of it though?

You watched Joker? 

Fucking hell. Things are worse than I thought.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Joker

The rest of it? Todd Philips makes a tribute to Taxi Drive and people think it’s the 2nd coming because it’s classed as a comic book movie. When really it’s just bang average with some really shitty shoehorning of the Batman universe in it. But it’s from the director of The Hangover so it shows he’s got range or something.

yeah, I didn’t rate it other then Zazie Beats  and Joaquin’s performance 

B00Q3DLD68.jpg

Nightcrawler got recommended to me by someone and boy is it a fucked up dark tale.  Jake Gyllenhaal plays Lewis Bloom, best described as a chancer, who accidentally stumbles across the world of Stringers, people who video tape things (primarily crimes or accidents it seems) and sell the footage to news stations.  Bloom gets drawn more and more into this world, learning that stations will pay a higher premium for more graphic footage.  It's seriously dark and Gyllenhaal is excellent playing Bloom, a man who has no moral compass and will do whatever it takes to further his career.  Great to see Rene Russo in this too as the station's director who ends up finding a kindred spirit in Bloom.  Engrossing stuff.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The rest of it? Todd Philips makes a tribute to Taxi Drive and people think it’s the 2nd coming because it’s classed as a comic book movie. When really it’s just bang average with some really shitty shoehorning of the Batman universe in it. But it’s from the director of The Hangover so it shows he’s got range or something.

This is such a lukewarm take, that i've just sat in a bath of it and added hot water.

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Can't disagree although the way some of it was framed, wouldn't be surprised if Phillips thought the story mirrored his shitty career.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

This is such a lukewarm take, that i've just sat in a bath of it and added hot water.

You’ll have to see what I wrote about it back in October in here. I probably said it was the best film I’d ever seen

2 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

B00Q3DLD68.jpg

Nightcrawler got recommended to me by someone and boy is it a fucked up dark tale.  Jake Gyllenhaal plays Lewis Bloom, best described as a chancer, who accidentally stumbles across the world of Stringers, people who video tape things (primarily crimes or accidents it seems) and sell the footage to news stations.  Bloom gets drawn more and more into this world, learning that stations will pay a higher premium for more graphic footage.  It's seriously dark and Gyllenhaal is excellent playing Bloom, a man who has no moral compass and will do whatever it takes to further his career.  Great to see Rene Russo in this too as the station's director who ends up finding a kindred spirit in Bloom.  Engrossing stuff.

Gyllenhaal should have won all the awards for his turn in this. I'm still a little baffled it doesn't get nearly the plaudits it deserves. Creepy, fragile, menacing, desperate, tragic, driven - usually all in one scene.

Birds of Prey is sadly underwhelming. Margot Robbie turns in her usual good performance but despite some really fun and colourful action scenes, it's a little dull. The story, as it unfolds, isn't all that interesting and a lot of the try hard quirky dialogue isn't good enough so produced a few groans. Shame because it starts well, giving you some false hope.

DC just can’t make a decent movie from there IP can they?  Wonder Woman being the honourable exception.

Warner can't help themselves. Whether that be hiring shite like Zak Snyder to be a major player in their universe building, or forever chopping and changing their movies no matter how jarring it is to the initial direction and the eventual final product.

46 minutes ago, Loki said:

DC just can’t make a decent movie from there IP can they?  Wonder Woman being the honourable exception.

Man of Steel is pretty solid. I'm no fan of a cape films, but I've always had a soft spot for Superman ever since I was a yoof. I really enjoyed this. 

i actually thought Justice League wasn't awful. Wonder Woman, whilst overrated is good, and Shazam! is a lot of fun. But yeah, that universe is a mess. Though R-Pats as Batman does seem interesting

There's something wrong with the aesthetic of Justice League. It looks very unpolished in a lot of places. Flash and Cyborg just look wrong. Wonder Woman got it right. That's a fantastic film to look at.

Fucking hell, Dev, you’ve got the spandex spackers banging on outside their thread. I bet you’re doing a dance on the staircase.