Jump to content
Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Recommended Posts

On 3/6/2020 at 10:42 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

This is my thread now then.

Spenser Confidential

Be interested to see what fellow Peter Berg devotee @Scott Malbranque made of this. I thought it was one of Berg's worst. It tries to be a bit of about five or six different things rather than keeping things simple like Berg's films normally do. Iliza Shlesinger can't act either so she can add that to not being able to do comedy well. Really disappointing.

Watched it last night, and it was a bit gik, wasn't it, D-Mal.
I love and anticipate Peter Berg movies like I used to Tony Scott's, and from my point of view - and I'm sure Berg would be delighted - that's as big a compliment I can pay him, and even though Mile 22 was regarded as shite, I actually loved it, but this was a mess and lends further credence to the fact that the Big Name Actor/Director straight to Netflix flicks really can ask my bollocks for the most part.
Was entertaining at points, but as you said, it didn't know what it wanted to be or do and it had potential to be a decent, funny buddy cop movie, but Winston Duke really isn't that funny or charming. 
I probably would have switched Bokeem Woodbine with Winston Duke as Woodbine and Wahlberg had decent chemistry in The Big Hit, even back when neither were really very good at this acting thing, but yep, a mess.
 

11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Twelve Monkeys

Shouldn't have done really. Bit more paranoid now.

Don't watch Contagion. I did. Shouldn't have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Watched it last night, and it was a bit gik, wasn't it, D-Mal.
I love and anticipate Peter Berg movies like I used to Tony Scott's, and from my point of view - and I'm sure Berg would be delighted - that's as big a compliment I can pay him, and even though Mile 22 was regarded as shite, I actually loved it, but this was a mess and lends further credence to the fact that the Big Name Actor/Director straight to Netflix flicks really can ask my bollocks for the most part.
Was entertaining at points, but as you said, it didn't know what it wanted to be or do and it had potential to be a decent, funny buddy cop movie, but Winston Duke really isn't that funny or charming. 
I probably would have switched Bokeem Woodbine with Winston Duke as Woodbine and Wahlberg had decent chemistry in The Big Hit, even back when neither were really very good at this acting thing, but yep, a mess.

Duke was actually funnier in Us, so how they managed to give him less comedy in this was bizarre. And yeah, Mile 22 was lots of fun. I think, after Six Underground, which I loved, I was hoping this would be similarly enjoyable especially as Berg is more reliable than Michael Bay. Ahh well.

Triple Threat

I think Scott Adkins is shite so it was good to see him only in support in this, which was a really enjoyable little action film. Good to see Iko Uwais back in a lead role again too after a few supports.

Lost Girls

Another new Netflix-er, and one of their better ones to date. Surprised that it was kept so short but it's sharp and to the point, and Amy Ryan is even better than usual. A nice change from Netflix's usual crime stuff too.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Triple Threat

I think Scott Adkins is shite so it was good to see him only in support in this, which was a really enjoyable little action film. Good to see Iko Uwais back in a lead role again too after a few supports.

 

I’ve just read Michael Bisping’s autobiography & this was going to be my next ‘working from home’ watch, I’ve got a bit of soft spot for Adkins though. In the past week or so I’ve watched….

Booksmart – Highly praised on here & whilst I liked it I didn’t enjoy it as much as The Edge of Seventeen. Still good though & the lead girl in it was excellent.

Hostiles – Really liked this. An oft told story but done with class & a great supporting cast (Jesse Plemons was a nice surprise). Good pacing stopped what could’ve easily become a Christian Bale mumblethon. Some belting scenery too which made me wish I’d seen it on the big screen

The Rover – I’m a sucker for post-apocalyptic  stuff & this looked interesting. Guy Pearce gets his car nicked & chases the thieves across the Aussie outback with Robert Pattison in tow. Some interesting bits & nice tension but this felt like a waste of a good cast & was pretty forgettable.

Ready or Not – A great little horror/thriller about a wealthy family who put new members through initiation rituals post-wedding. I’d read the synopsis a while ago and heard good things (on here?) but it’s surpassed my expectations. Some great dark comedy too, highly recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2020 at 10:42 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Spenser Confidential

Be interested to see what fellow Peter Berg devotee...

Is there a Tim McGraw cameo?  It's not a proper Berg otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Is there a Tim McGraw cameo?  It's not a proper Berg otherwise.

No. It does have that rapper with the tattoos on his face in it although that doesn't really narrow things down these days.

Also, having just seen @Dead Mike praise Ready or Not, semi-regular reminder that you should also watch Mayhem if you want more excellent Samara Weaving horror comedy action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

No. It does have that rapper with the tattoos on his face in it although that doesn't really narrow things down these days.

Also, having just seen @Dead Mike praise Ready or Not, semi-regular reminder that you should also watch Mayhem if you want more excellent Samara Weaving horror comedy action.

Did you rate Ready or Not? I'm guessing so?

 

Edit - Just noticed 'more'.

Edited by Dead Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Did you rate Ready or Not? I'm guessing so?

Edit - Just noticed 'more'.

Yeah, it was great. I should give it another watch, my eldest wants to see it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started to watch The Hateful Eight last night but switched off an hour in as I was falling asleep.

That was the second time I tried to watch it, lasting longer this time than the first, but there was no hook there whatsoever for me and I was just bored watching it.  I was speaking to a mate about it earlier and he said he found it a bit of a slog but worth sticking with so I will probably give it one final shot at some point.  The use of the 'n' word did seem overkill on what I saw. I had a check of what IMDB had to say just to see if there was something I was missing and reviews there go from one extreme to the other (plenty of 1's and 2's, but plenty of scores of 8 or more too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't trust IMDb ratings as they're often rating-bombed by virgins who've never touched a boob or willy. That's why Knives Out was on about 5 after a couple of days, because Rian Johnson put some women in Star Wars.

But yeah, The Hateful Eight doesn't get any better and you're not missing much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

I started to watch The Hateful Eight last night but switched off an hour in as I was falling asleep.

That was the second time I tried to watch it, lasting longer this time than the first, but there was no hook there whatsoever for me and I was just bored watching it.  I was speaking to a mate about it earlier and he said he found it a bit of a slog but worth sticking with so I will probably give it one final shot at some point.  The use of the 'n' word did seem overkill on what I saw. I had a check of what IMDB had to say just to see if there was something I was missing and reviews there go from one extreme to the other (plenty of 1's and 2's, but plenty of scores of 8 or more too).

I have to say I really enjoyed it, but then I really enjoy beautifully filmed movies even if the plot is boring.  If you were bored after an hour, it doesn't suddenly turn into a Transformers movie after that, so best to not bother I'd say.

I've realised this recently.  If a film or tv series has fantastic cinematography I will generally enjoy it and overlook more obvious issues.  Carnival Row has all the acting chops of an episode of Doctors, but it is VERY pretty and so I've stuck with it.  I'm just a sucker for good set dressing, a nice camera angle and some thoughtful lighting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse at the weekend. It was alright, nothing more. Interesting art style. Fun bit of casting for Nicolas Cage as Spider-Man Noir. But with the main gimmick of the film taking a while to get going, I felt like I'd still barely seen most of the marquee characters by the end. They can probably launch a Gwen Stacy film off the back of it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of 80s flicks last night.

51pyrxikx2L._AC_.jpg

I really enjoyed Adventures in Babysitting.  Elisabeth Shue ends up babysitting for some friends after her boyfriend cancels a date and a night of chaos and mayhem ensues involving love rats, crooks, gangs and more.  There is a fantastic soundtrack starting with The Crystals as Chris (Shue's character) dances around the bedroom getting ready for her date to the Rolling Stones to Muddy Waters to Sam Cooke and Edwin Starr.  Quality stuff at the club too, where you don't get out unless you sing the Blues!

51g7zHE+ttL._SY445_.jpg

Sixteen Candles is definitely of it's era as I don't think there is any chance in this day and age you can get away with the offensively racist Chinese character Long Duk Dong, underage drink driving and the high school prom queen potentially getting raped (it was sexual assault at the least) all being treated as comedy!  Harmless enough affair even if the outcome was predictable.  Anthony Michael Hall is very good and there's a nice turn from the chap who plays Molly Ringwald's Dad, especially a scene the two have together when Samantha is feeling particularly down, and that she's always felt as though she's been in the shadow of her "more attractive" sister.  A very young John and Joan Cusack make appearances playing stereotypical nerdy/geek roles.  Oh, and a pleasant surprise to hear Altered Images in the soundtrack for this one.

Edited by Magnum Milano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

I started to watch The Hateful Eight last night but switched off an hour in as I was falling asleep.

That was the second time I tried to watch it, lasting longer this time than the first, but there was no hook there whatsoever for me and I was just bored watching it.  I was speaking to a mate about it earlier and he said he found it a bit of a slog but worth sticking with so I will probably give it one final shot at some point.  The use of the 'n' word did seem overkill on what I saw. I had a check of what IMDB had to say just to see if there was something I was missing and reviews there go from one extreme to the other (plenty of 1's and 2's, but plenty of scores of 8 or more too).

If nothing else, the score is fantastic. Morricone delivering the damn goods.

I hated the ending, but otherwise was okay with the film - however, I'll probably never watch it again and be fine with that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walt Goggins gets a good part in it plus Bruce Dern so it's definitely worth your time and I enjoyed the film despite it's problems but it's probably only above Death Proof and Kill Bill Vol.2 (it's two fucking films) in the the Tarantino code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...