Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

I'm sorted for something to watch tonight now with that documentary. What is the horror one you guys mentioned? 

58 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I'm sorted for something to watch tonight now with that documentary. What is the horror one you guys mentioned? 

In Search of Darkness.

Heat

It still lives up to its acclaim, although I found it dragged a little compared to say, The Irishman which zipped by.

A superb cast and a cracking score and Robert De Niro remains my favourite actor of all time, but Al Pacino is at his ridiculous best here and steals it.

All day I’ve been cracking up at the thought of him shouting “Cos she got a GREAT AAAAAASSSSS” and I’m having a coffee waiting for my youngest to finish gymnastics laughing on my own. Such a superb moment. I want to see the takes that didn’t make it.

Watched A Take Of Two Sisters earlier.

Will probably have to watch it again as I had no idea what was going on but the horror aspect was brilliant.

4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah I’ve heard that, it’s good. I couldn’t give a fuck about the Oscars and neither should anyone else 👍

My boss loathes Suicide Squad with a vengeance, so now and then I bring it up and refer to it as 'academy award winning film Suicide Squad'. 

I watched Heat again a couple of nights back and its superb. I've always maintained that the famous shoot out should have been cut because it gets bang in the way of the narrative and you could achieve everything that happens in it within seconds. Having said that it absolutely is acracking action scene.

No way. It could absolutely stand on the strength of the narrative but it's undeniably a bit better because of the shootout. I'm gonna watch it again this weekend, it's been years.

10 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

No way. It could absolutely stand on the strength of the narrative but it's undeniably a bit better because of the shootout. I'm gonna watch it again this weekend, it's been years.

I concede I'm in the tiny minority but I stand by it. No question it's a great bit of action though.

The shoot-out is the best part. The rest of it stretches out a nice little crime narrative because Michael Mann is an idiot who has never known how to rein anything in. Plus the coffee shop scene is really stupid, when you think about it.

That's definitely true of Mann. His best work will usually overcome that with such strong material but stuff like Miami Vice is just too drawn out with beautiful lingering shots and long periods of silence. It's the auteurs affliction. The best ones always have a strong editor but even then an artists ego will dictate everything else.

I fucking hate Miami Vice. It's *terrible*, to the point where I can't see what anybody would see in it. I've never been a fan of Mann and The Insider, which is probably his least Mann-like film, is his best one. Collateral too, but I'm increasingly of the belief that Tom saves that one.

Edited by Devon Malcolm