Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

On 1/9/2020 at 10:55 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Informer

Quite enjoyed this. I don't think much of Joel Kinnaman as a lead and this would have benefitted from someone with actual charisma in the lead, plus Ana de Armas doesn't get much to do. But it's second half is a really good prison thriller with a quality ending. Worth tracking down, wish I'd gone to see it at the cinema.

Is The Lovely Rosamund in it much?

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is The Lovely Rosamund in it much?

Mostly at the beginning and end. Not much of a role for her, really.

25 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Mostly at the beginning and end. Not much of a role for her, really.

im out bbc two GIF by BBC

I went back and watched Breakdown because I was sure I'd seen it but needed my memory jogging. Turns out I must have seen it a million times during that golden time in film watching where you'd catch something on late night BBC1or 2 and not find out what it was called until your one cool mate told you in school on Monday. See also ; Mallrats, Spanking the Monkey (grim), Empire Records and some film where a cop goes undercover at a high shool.

Anyway, road thrillers are great aren't they? 

24 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Anyway, road thrillers are great aren't they? 

I rewatched Roadkill after Breakdown because it put me in a road thriller mood. It was still really good too. The sequel? Not so much.

I want to watch Duel now.

I watched Breakdown last night thanks to you wonderful bastards. Tremendous entertainment. Not sure how I missed it until now honestly. Felt more late 80s than late 90s to me. A real treat. 

Edited by DEF

Ford vs Ferrari is very enjoyable. I thought I knew a lot about this story. Yet the film found a way of completely engaging me. Bale does a great job of bringing the Ken Miles character to life. Even if the accent wanders off into Aussie a few times. 

I thought Ford v Ferrari was fantastic. I mean I find motor racing and car talk absolutely tedious but the 2 and a half hours went by quick fast. It's such a gripping story about innovation, corporate greed and friendship.

Uncut Gems

Yeah, fair play, Adam Sandler is great in this. It kind of makes his most recent stuff look even worse (if that's possible) knowing that he's still capable of this kind of performance. I was on Sicario-level of edge of my seat for the last 15 minutes or so.

Although Sandler's false teeth got very off putting after a while.

Edited by wordsfromlee

As shit as his Netflix output is you have to commend him for getting paid millions to hang around exotic locations with his mates.

The Distinguished Citizen

Argentinian comedy about a Nobel Prize winning author who travels back to his hometown, and becomes more and more exasperated with the town that he grew up in. Becomes quite dark, and is well worth watching

All The Freckles In The World

Mexican comedy based around the 1994 World Cup (LETCHKOV! ALDRIDGE!) and sees Jose Miguel fall in love after moving to a private school (class conscious alert) , and to be honest, whilst it's sometimes a bit lazy 'adolescent growing up' genre, it's well written and easy going

Teen Spirit

Elle Fanning plays a Isle of Wight based Polish girl who has desires of making it big as a singer. This starts off really strong, and tails off a bit when she enters the Teen Spirit competition (basically X Factor), and there are a few too many song performances, but Fanning is absolutely excellent in this. Really strong performance. Good synthy-pop soundtrack too. 10yo daughter recommended.

House Party

Still really funny. "Oh yeah, well I guess we would smell like pussy to a BUNCH OF DICKS"

Edited by SuperBacon

I threw on John Wick 2 on Saturday as I suppose I should catch up on those sequels that everyone seems to love.

Fun stuff, although the Gun-Kata gets a bit boring after a while. Keanu is great, and the scenes where Wick is getting set-up were tremendously entertaining. The supporting cast were all lovely as well.

I'm not a fan of the stylized subtitles though, at all. A bit wanky for my tastes. Talking of subtitles, I had to put on the English CCs because everyone was fucking mumbling their lines, which seems to be a emerging habit in modern TV/movies. *oldmanyellsatcloud.jpeg*.

Still, a jolly good time that got me lubed up for number 3, which I'll probably watch in 2023 at this rate.

6 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Fun stuff, although the Gun-Kata gets a bit boring after a while.

That reminds me: I really need to re-watch Equilibrium. Such a fun film.

On 1/8/2020 at 8:35 PM, johnnyboy said:

Little Women

May have seen my favourite film of 2020 already.  I didn't mind the way it altered the structure of the book to make it more filmic.  Gorgeous.

I saw this yesterday and was impressed. It's beautifully made, and Saoirse Ronan and Florence Pugh are fantastic in it.

21 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I threw on John Wick 2 on Saturday as I suppose I should catch up on those sequels that everyone seems to love.

Fun stuff, although the Gun-Kata gets a bit boring after a while. Keanu is great, and the scenes where Wick is getting set-up were tremendously entertaining. The supporting cast were all lovely as well.

I'm not a fan of the stylized subtitles though, at all. A bit wanky for my tastes. Talking of subtitles, I had to put on the English CCs because everyone was fucking mumbling their lines, which seems to be a emerging habit in modern TV/movies. *oldmanyellsatcloud.jpeg*.

Still, a jolly good time that got me lubed up for number 3, which I'll probably watch in 2023 at this rate.

John Wick 3 - It's just been added to Netflix and I think the best of the lot personally. I thought the 2nd was not quite as much fun as the first, even though it looks fantastic