Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

29 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why wouldn't you just Google this?

He was probably too busy writing a story. 

Watched a couple of classics earlier today on Netflix, starting with my first ever viewing of Enter The Dragon which was entertaining if a little bit offputting with the dubbing then followed it up by watching Robocop for the first time in a good 20 years, genuinely didn't realise that one of the lead villains was the guy who played Red Forman on That 70s Show, what a total cornball shitcunt he is in it

Also watched Bloodsport for the umpteenth time over the weekend, doesn't need much saying but it's still a fucking awesome film

The Gentlemen

The best Guy Ritchie gangster-em-up since Snatch.  18 certificate on the strength of the language, it uses "cunt" a lot.  Let Hugh Grant be your guide to the seedy underbelly of Britmerican Gangsterism.

Terrific fun was had by all.

The John Cena kid's firemen comedy Playing with Fire was a gem, try to check it out. It was exactly like a film from the 1980s, I enjoyed this because I'm old.

Big match John was perfect and he had some really solid support, especially Keegan-Michael Key who added so much, he was brilliant.

28 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

The John Cena kid's firemen comedy Playing with Fire was a gem, try to check it out. It was exactly like a film from the 1980s, I enjoyed this because I'm old.

Cena's got to make 80s-inspired comedies every Christmas a yearly tradition off the back of this and Bumblebee.

I've been a big fan of Cena as an actor for years. I've lost count of the amount of non wrestling fans I've lent the DVD of the first The Marine to because it's such a perfect throwback action film, it's one of my favourite films of the 2000s, and has so many explosions in it.

He's got good comic timing and charisma as well and was great in Blockers and his small roles as Fred's Dad and someone even tougher than cool dad Mark Wahlberg in Daddy's Home 1 & 2.

Bumblebee was great, he's just going from strength to strength now and I'm probably more excited to see him in Fast and Furious 9 and Suicide Squad 2 than I would be to see him at Wrestlemania.

The best thing about Cena's comedy is that it seems derived from a genuinely odd part of his personality. Judging by his Instagram and various wrestlers stories about him, he's a bit of a weirdo at times. I bet if you're on good terms with him it gets to be hard figuring out when he's playing up his over-earnestness shtick or genuinely being psychotically earnest and forward with you. 

His comedy timing in the Southpaw Regional Wrestling videos was really good. The "I miss my father" line immediately comes to mind.

He was great in Trainwreck as well, especially during the sex scene with Amy Schumer.

I watched 'The Cannibal in the Jungle' last night on Quest.  Let's just say when then end credits rolled I was pretty pissed that I had spent two hours watching this.

I was under the impression that this was a legit documentary, as everything kind of insinuated that was the case, not the piece of fiction that it admits to being at the end of the film.  The pretense is that Dr. Timothy Darrow, and Ornithologist, went into the jungles of Indonesia where he killed and cannibalized his two colleagues, one an Indonesian national.  Darrow was sentenced to life in prison but maintained his innocence, claiming it was these small, hobbit like creatures, that were known to have existed tens of thousands of years ago.  An anthropologist later finds the skeleton of one of these creatures, along with a crafted spear head (that Darrow mentioned in his testimony), during his own investigations in the jungle, then goes on a mission to prove Darrow's innocence.  I probably should've realised earlier because it was very Blair Witch Project at times, while the actors playing Timothy Darrow (this anthropologist was "allowed one filmed interview" with him) and Darrow's sister were both poor (as opposed to the guy playing the anthropologist who I found incredibly convincing).  They did ramp the tension up and I was hooked in, but do wish they'd said that it was a piece of fiction at the start because I was incredibly frustrated come the end of it.

I spent New Years Eve watching Little Women and it's just a beautiful little film, everyone's on top form and the writings even more charming than Lady Bird, and not nearly as "cute" either. I loved it, it's like a warm and stupidly witty hug.