Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Everyman Cinemas are awesome. They have proper bars, couches as Dev says, and at the Screen On The Green Everyman in Angel, you can order food to your seat, plus they also have a mini screening room you can hire out for private viewings - they've got a huge catalogue of shows you can pick.

12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

£10.80, so a bit pricey, but you do get couches instead of seats and it's really lovely inside. Would definitely go back.

They're £15 in London, which I've discovered is pretty much my definite cut-off point. Everyman is great, especially for a date night, but most of the time, my requirements are more along the lines of people keeping quiet and not moving about much, so I can watch the movie in peace. 

Aren't Everyman Cineworld owned, or is that Picturehouse?

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

That's Picturehouse.

Yeah, and fuck them and Cineworld. Worker-exploiting bastards.

Downton Abbey

Forelock tugging shite.  Also it never ends, with more false finishes than an Indy match in a school gym.

1/2 Star for Tuppence Middleton being in it as her name makes me smile.

Midway is *exactly* what you'd expect a Roland Emmerich war film to be like. Great action scenes and the rest is largely rubbish. Apart from Mandy Moore.

I’m just about to watch Dora and the Lost City of Gold. This better be good. 

Sold 7. Nice kid friendly Indiana Jones alike with some nice comedy moments. Plus points for a song from 1/2 of Flight Of The Concords and The Cure. I’m glad James Bobin has finally had a decent follow up film on his resume. Because Muppets Most Wanted & Alice through the looking glass are woeful.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Anna

Bugger me, that is a bad film.  The best action sequence is shown, virtually in its entirety, in the trailer.

If you want spies and assassins and all that at the tail end of the Soviet Union watch Atomic Blonde, or if you fancy some naked Jennifer Lawrence you could go for Red Sparrow.  Even Red Sparrow is infinitely better than this.

Being set between 1985 and 1990 you'll be surprised to see them use full colour TFT laptops running at least Windows 95 versions of applications, big screen IBM ThinkPads (wouldn't surprise me if they were fucking Lenovo such is the lack of attention to detail), clamshell mobiles, email with HD video attachments, USB pen drives, CCTV servers using hotswap SATA drives with plenty of modern cars in the background.  Look, if the lead characters drive LADAs no one will notice...  Less attention to detail than a sixth form creative media assessment piece.

Sub-phoned in lazy, lazy, embarrassing shite.  Yeah I used lazy twice because this didn't deserve me firing up the mental thesaurus.

(There are a sprinkling of CRT screens and photographers use film cameras.)

Ingrid Goes West - Some really good bits in this, I thought when it was funny it really was funny but there is a huge undercurrent of sadness throughout.  And O'Shea Jackson Jr is an absolute delight.  4 likes out of 5 from nearly 10k Kool Keith.

Ice Cube Jr. is a cracking actor. He was the best thing in Long Shot too, and the only good thing in Den of Thieves.

Today I saw Frozen 2 and Parasite.

one is as disappointing as you’d expect. The other I might have to go and watch again at the cinema. Why were getting it so late fuck only knows

21 Bridges

Tim Riggins, Dr Bashir, and The Black Panther meant this was unlikely to score poorly for me.

We've all seen this film 50 times before (double that if you like your 70s New York cop thrillers) but it was well done, if entirely paint by numbers, with people I enjoy watching.

Knives Out

Daniel Craig's Foghorn Leghorn impression, oddly, doesn't detract from this.  Huge Clue vibes and bonkers family energy from Ready or Not.

A really fun whodunnit escapade, but best to see it spoiler free, I declare see it spoiler free.

That accent is the main reason I'm going to see it! Craig will be best served doing these kooky roles post Bond. He was great in Logan Lucky too.