DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Aside from the use of its cast and its excellent use of the 'one shot' gimmick, it's really not deserving of the gushing praise it's getting. I enjoyed it and I do love war films but it's already been ridiculously talked up.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, the soundtrack and the game are definitely the best things about it. Man, I would love for that game to get a remaster. For a GTA clone I actually enjoyed it more than the GTA game that was out in the same time period.

Flashback FM from GTA 3 was literally all songs from Scarface. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5isDvrsBAPI

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Aside from the use of its cast and its excellent use of the 'one shot' gimmick, it's really not deserving of the gushing praise it's getting. I enjoyed it and I do love war films but it's already been ridiculously talked up.

More enjoyable then Dunkirk?

Agreed. It reminds me of The Revenant where people were going on about the craft of a film but the film itself is pretty...meh.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Agreed. It reminds me of The Revenant where people were going on about the craft of a film but the film itself is pretty...meh.

It was much better in its first half when it was about

ghost trenches

But there was too much coincidence and nonsense in its second half.

As a sidenote, I wish you'd quote people directly!

• Paid Members

The Scarface game was great. It had loads of little conveniences that GTA hadn't yet implemented, like having vehicles/weapons delivered to you anywhere, calling for reinforcements and being able to play music wherever. Loved customizing the mansion with exotics (was gutted you couldn't get an actual tiger, though). I think I maybe gave up before the end (I vaguely remember getting frustrated at it seemingly just turning into defending territories and doing drug deals), but had got so much fun out of it by that point that I can't complain!

Would definitely play a remaster, and it could probably do with one, given nobody I know IRL played it. Coming out that late on the PS2 with no next-gen versions was a burial.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:55 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Informer

Quite enjoyed this. I don't think much of Joel Kinnaman as a lead and this would have benefitted from someone with actual charisma in the lead, plus Ana de Armas doesn't get much to do. But it's second half is a really good prison thriller with a quality ending. Worth tracking down, wish I'd gone to see it at the cinema.

Is The Lovely Rosamund in it much?

I went back and watched Breakdown because I was sure I'd seen it but needed my memory jogging. Turns out I must have seen it a million times during that golden time in film watching where you'd catch something on late night BBC1or 2 and not find out what it was called until your one cool mate told you in school on Monday. See also ; Mallrats, Spanking the Monkey (grim), Empire Records and some film where a cop goes undercover at a high shool.

Anyway, road thrillers are great aren't they? 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Anyway, road thrillers are great aren't they? 

I rewatched Roadkill after Breakdown because it put me in a road thriller mood. It was still really good too. The sequel? Not so much.

I want to watch Duel now.

• Paid Members

I watched Breakdown last night thanks to you wonderful bastards. Tremendous entertainment. Not sure how I missed it until now honestly. Felt more late 80s than late 90s to me. A real treat. 

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Ford vs Ferrari is very enjoyable. I thought I knew a lot about this story. Yet the film found a way of completely engaging me. Bale does a great job of bringing the Ken Miles character to life. Even if the accent wanders off into Aussie a few times.