Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Empire Records

One of my favourites growing up, and has aged fairly well I would say.

A better film than Mallrats (not saying much to some of you), and an absolute cracker of a soundtrack, and Liv Tyler and Renee Zellwegger, but I will always belong to Robin Tunneys Debs. A fuck up after my own heart.

Damn the man, save the empire. 

Most disappointing thing is that most of the best songs in the film didn't actually make it on the soundtrack. This was a massive film for me in my teens though, along with 'Can't Hardly Wait'. Not sure how well that's help up though? May have been skewed by my Jennifer Love Hewitt obsession.

81ySpJy3woL._SY445_.jpg

An ex soldier (David) played really well by Jordan Henderson, arrives at the house of a fellow soldiers' family home claiming he was a former friend. He gets invited to stay and makes himself at home by helping the family. But before long, strange occurrences start to happen and soon David is under suspicion as someone who may well not be who he claims to be.

Very stylish thriller with a good performance by the ever reliable Henderson. It's got that 80's vibe with the music and it reminds me of Drive. Enjoyed this.

Okay, I know it's Dan Stevens

:D and he's excellent in this

I though that IT Chapter 2 was a really decent follow up, but if you've got a weak bladder maybe take a bottle to piss in as it weighs in at nearly 3 hours.

As much as I love Jessica Chastain, Amy Adams was clearly the correct choice for grown up Bev due to them sharing the same face.

Finally got round to seeing Blinded By The Light (it was in and out of most local cinemas quick sharp). I thought it was a little hokey and a bit Eastenders with the acting to begin with, but it definitely won me over by the end - crying again; the state of it.

Definitely don't need to be a Bruce fan to enjoy it. Although I think most of the music tie-ins were the weakest part of the film. Gave me a new appreciation for the excellent Rocketman (a shout for my favourite film this year) that gets all that spot on.

Just got round to watching Shazaam. Good but not great. Definitely something missing from it that I couldn't quite put my finger on except maybe far too many fight scenes between hero and villain. 

30 minutes ago, 5pints said:

Just got round to watching Shazaam. Good but not great. Definitely something missing from it that I couldn't quite put my finger on except maybe far too many fight scenes between hero and villain. 

Sounds a bit superhero-y to me.

I watched Local Hero last night, which was brilliant. Jenny Seagrove's accent was absolutely appalling but everything else about it was a delight, the sort of small town comedy that I'm surprised we haven't done more of in this country, we seem perfectly suited to them.

Bait

Got the week off work and saw that this was playing in my local independant cinema. Seemed to be getting some rave reviews so I thought I'd give it a go.

Great film about the small fishing town Cornish life and how it's slowly being taken over by out of town, city folk who think they're doing their bit to help the local economy by renting out one of their holiday homes they have on AirBnB.  A nice social commentary on gentrification. 

It starts off pretty slow but it's really good once it get going. It's all filmed with 16mm cameras and all the dialogue and sound is added in post which I think adds to the uneasy aspect of the movie. Some really great acting in there too that seems very real.

Edited by wordsfromlee

22 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Bait

Got the week off work and saw that this was playing in my local independant cinema. Seemed to be getting some rave reviews so I thought I'd give it a go.

Great film about the small fishing town Cornish life and how it's slowly being taken over by out of town, city folk who think they're doing their bit to help the local economy by renting out one of their holiday homes they have on AirBnB.  A nice social commentary on gentrification. 

It starts off pretty slow but it's really good once it get going. It's all filmed with 8mm cameras and all the dialogue and sound is added in post which I think adds to the uneasy aspect of the movie. Some really great acting in there too that seems very real.

I really want to see this but as usual nowhere round here has scheduled it at a friendly time.

I did go to see Crawl and Angel Has Fallen though, both of which were excellent. The latter is definitely the best of that series and before some smartarse says, "Huh yeah like that's hard!" it actually is because it's a very decent action series. Gerard Butler looks like he's melting though.

Crawl was a cracking monster movie too. I personally prefer more humour in this sort of thing but it just keeps building and building tension. Laughed out loud at the end credits song and I'm sure everyone else would have too if there was anyone else in the screening.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

IT 2 was a bag of shite. They could have easily turned this into a trilogy and not had this as baggy, or just cut out a lot of the stuff in this one as it doesn't work for the film. The book has always been a cocaine fueled mess (at times great) and they did an excellent job in the first one adapting it. This just seemed bloated, like the success had allowed them to do whatever they wanted. There's strands that just never get picked up. Chastain continues to be an incredibly annoying presence on screen.

Bill Hader is great in it though. Steals the thing. He's pretty tremendous in everything. After 'Barry', I will be shocked if he doesn't go on to be a top Film Director.

I just spend most of IT 2 trying to work out where I knew the adult version of the fat lad from. Got to home and looked at the cast to then realise it was Jack Scully from Neighbours.

I didn’t mind it, but you could’ve easily left half an hour out of it. I knew it long, but even then there was still a couple of points where I was looking at my watch.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Jack Scully cosplaying as Dr Strange to be precise. I liked it and all but the thing that worked best was the psychological horror. The suspense of waiting for the scare was way more uncomfortable than the scares were scary and it's so bloody long that even that has no effect after a while. 

Yeah I thought chapter 2 was a fucking mess. The first 45 minutes or so were top notch though. The ending was a disaster but the book ending is basically unfilmable so I guess they did what they could. Ziggy from The Wire was unbelievably shite as was the guy who played grown up Henry Bowers, grown up Ben was completely forgettable. McAvoy, Chastain and the almighty Hader were fantastic. Overall, preferred the first movie by miles. Would have liked them to delve into It's history and true origin much more. The early Pennywise scenes in the film were my favourite bits for sure.

The Green Mile

My girlfriend had never seen it before so we decided to give it a go as it was Film4 this week. 

Nearly three and a half hours long (we had to watch it in two sittings) but it doesn't feel like it. I don't think you could really cut anything out without it affecting the plot even if you wanted to trim it down. It's a marvellous piece of storytelling. It's does all the fantasy/magical parts really well without them seeming cheesy and out of place. The guy that plays the guard, Percy, plays a real good horrible cunt.

I think Tom Hanks really makes this movie. I think it would have fallen flat on it's arse without him. Or without Michael Clarke Duncan. Imagine if they'd have got Shaquille O'Neal to play John Coffey like they original wanted.