DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

The entire reason The Postman is shit, because Costner is the focal point of the film and he simply doesn't have the acting chops to carry a film. He only really works as a lead where he has a strong supporting cast, because whilst he does have some charisma, he doesn't ever stand out.

It strayed too far from the source material, that’s where it went wrong

JP.jpg

Maybe they’ll get it right next time

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

That may or may not be the case, but what does that have to do with Costner? He played the role exactly as was required by Brian De Palma and was the right man for what De Palma wanted. If De Palma wanted a portrayal that was truer to life then obviously Costner wouldn't have been a perfect fit. But that's not the Ness we were presented with.

All Costner does is ape Robert Stack's portrayal of Ness. What 3 things come into your head when thinking about the Untouchables? For me the 3 things are, Connery's "They put one of yours in the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue" speech. The pram rolling down the stairs shootout and De Niro beating the fuck out of some guy with a baseball bat during a meal.

The shootout is all about the editing and cinematography rather than anything Costner does in that scene acting wise. The fact that your leading man is only in one of those 3 scenes and doesn't get the memorable quote from the film really says a lot about how bland he is. Simply because he is literally supported by the rest of the cast. If a film he is in doesn't have an ensemble cast its likely to be decent at best. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

All Costner does is ape Robert Stack's portrayal of Ness. What 3 things come into your head when thinking about the Untouchables? For me the 3 things are, Connery's "They put one of yours in the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue" speech. The pram rolling down the stairs shootout and De Niro beating the fuck out of some guy with a baseball bat during a meal.

The shootout is all about the editing and cinematography rather than anything Costner does in that scene acting wise. The fact that your leading man is only in one of those 3 scenes and doesn't get the memorable quote from the film really says a lot about how bland he is. Simply because he is literally supported by the rest of the cast. If a film he is in doesn't have an ensemble cast its likely to be decent at best. 

So what if all he does is ape Stack's portayal? Actors have aped performances practically since cinema started.

So what if he's not the standout part in an action set-piece scene? Why aren't you complaining about Michael Biehn's acting in the Tech Noir scene in The Terminator, by your logic?

So what if he doesn't get the most memorable quote? The lead actor hasn't had the most memorable quote in probably thousands of films.

Again, this is all utterly irrelevant, just move on for fuck's sake.

Costner is like the Michael Carrick of acting. Solid, reliable, doesn't stand out much but keeps things ticking for the flashier performers around him. And Waterworld is frigging ace.

There's been bad actors mentioned on the last couple of pages that have seemed to get a pass. Clive fucking Owen for a start. And I have a slight irrational dislike for Sean Connery for his piss poor performance in You Only Live Twice.

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I don't think it's particularly fair using De Niro and Connery to prove how shit you think Costner is, especially in a film where those two actors get all the showy bits. 

My point is even though Costner is "the star" in that film he doesn't do anything to stand out. In his good films he might be the biggest name on the poster, but if he was replaced practically anyone else the films wouldn't suffer.

He's not a complete charisma black hole, but he doesn't have that scene  stealing charm compare to many of his contemporaries. The best thing you can say about him is he is competent.

• Paid Members

I liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, I enjoyed it being more aimless and light hearted than I expected, especially as it was so long. 

The Informer was so dry, I only saw it a few days ago but I can hardly remember it. I like straight to video style action thrillers but this one had nothing to make it stand out at all. I've never seen Anna de Armas in anything before and I can see why everyone is always saying how beautiful she is so it has that going for it.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I've never seen Anna de Armas in anything before and I can see why everyone is always saying how beautiful she is so it has that going for it.

You really should have watched Blade Runner 2049 by now, come on.