Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I didn't notice that much difference to how Wonder Woman was being marketed which semed to avoid this flake, despite having a strong female character, though I remember a lot of flak about Gal Gadot and her serving time in the Isreal army.

Only from anti-semites. Larson dodged that bullet by breaking up with her Jewish boyfriend earlier this year.

I’ve learned today how toxic Twitter is towards famous women. God knows how I’ve missed all this. Someone today said Captain Marvel was portrayed in the film as a Mary Sue. I’m not even bothering to google that

28 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

God knows how I’ve missed all this.

I think some of us might have an inkling...

2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I think some of us might have an inkling...

Alexa, what is "confirmation bias?"

10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’ve learned today how toxic Twitter is towards famous women. God knows how I’ve missed all this. Someone today said Captain Marvel was portrayed in the film as a Mary Sue. I’m not even bothering to google that

2019 is abysmal. In this thread alone I have had to look up the terms "Mary Sue" and "SJW". Laughable attempts to denigrate Larson. The "Mary Sue" thing clearly isn't even true anyway, as the audience are routinely told throughout the film that her reckless behaviour and emotional temperament are her biggest stumbling block. The misogynists would have the film end there, no doubt.

Triple Frontier is every bit as enjoyable as I expected it to be. J.C. Chandor continues to be 100% and I hope this gets a sequel, the positive reviews should sway Netflix, hopefully.

Fun!

Last_Flag_Flying.png

The performances make this worth watching, Cranston, especially, cutting loose as a roguish instigator. You forget he was Walter White. The others are great too - Carell is brilliant as the damaged vet in crisis, having lost his son to a war he now sees as pointless. Fishburne steadies the ship as the man of faith gradually accepting his past. It's not Linklater's finest moment, but it does its job perfectly well as a sequel of sorts to The Last Detail. The ending packs a punch. It's worth watching just for the three leads being brilliant, even if the story is slight and the dialogue could have been tweaked. 

220px-The_Dinner_(2017_film).jpg

This I had mixed feelings about; it's too long and I can't take Coogan seriously as I always imagine him doing the Partridge voice no matter what lines he's spouting, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't hold my attention throughout. It's a bunch of rich cunts having a ridiculous meal and eventually talking about the terrible crime committed by their offspring, which is revealed in flashbacks. It's very much an in yer face "look how dreadful rich people are!" kind of film, with nowt much else to say beyond that, but nonetheless kind of entertaining despite itself. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

On 3/10/2019 at 10:21 AM, ColinBollocks said:

Border is a treat. Absolutely mental, in parts, but an interesting watch all the same. It's uncomfortable to watch in a number of scenes.

Reveal hidden contents

The supposed twist was pretty obvious, I thought. Given that I read the twist is a surprising one, I thought they were just being super obvious with her man, but nope there he is trying to ruin perfectly good babies.

Also, that sex scene is brilliantly bad.

Absolutely loved it. Genuinely unlike anything I've ever seen. I wish more films played with genre expectations like this.

Also saw The Kindergarten Teacher. Another one to add to Maggie Gyllenhaal's CV of amazing performances. Nails the ending and pretty much everything else too.

With regards to all the woman-hate that’s come with Captain Marvel, was there similar stuff with any of the other Marvel films? seen as Scarlett Johansson is a featured character in Avengers, Zoe Saldana is one of the main characters in Guardians of the Galaxy. Or is it just because this one has a female lead? And we can’t be having that now.

Or is it just part of a wider toxic problem of basement dwellers can’t enjoy anything unless it’s done the way they imagine things to be in their head

Edited by WyattSheepMask

It's definitely more prevalent that shite when they do the occasional female-led superhero film because a woman is the one that shines throughout. GOTG and Avengers are such male-heavy casts, so it seems to cancel their bile. I assume most just see a female lead and decide it's some evil anti-male feminist campaign.

It makes it all the more delightful when the likes of Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel do so well at the box office because it effectively shows how impotent those unfuckable white dudes are.

download.jpg

"A man (Gong Yoo), his estranged daughter and other passengers become trapped on a speeding train during a zombie outbreak in South Korea."

Sublime. Just sublime. The movie makes smart use of the cramped quarters of the train, which of course for most of the fun time, is where the action is centred. Filled with Suspense, drama, and tension throughout and is filled with characters you can gravitate towards and against. Some emotional stuff here too and it keeps you glued and guessing. Terrific.

3 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

It's definitely more prevalent that shite when they do the occasional female-led superhero film because a woman is the one that shines throughout. GOTG and Avengers are such male-heavy casts, so it seems to cancel their bile. I assume most just see a female lead and decide it's some evil anti-male feminist campaign.

It makes it all the more delightful when the likes of Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel do so well at the box office because it effectively shows how impotent those unfuckable white dudes are.

Not just sexism though, racism too. The sheer bile coming out about Black Panther and the "lack of a diverse cast" was beautifully converted into alt-right tears by the massive box office numbers it did.

To be fair it's not been all hatred and bile towards Captain Marvel. I hear Ben Mendelsohn, Samuel L. and the (presumably male) cat have were all positively received.....

2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

To be fair it's not been all hatred and bile towards Captain Marvel. I hear Ben Mendelsohn, Samuel L. and the (presumably male) cat have were all positively received.....

The cat's a 'she'. I'm sure I heard a character refer to her as 'she', anyway!

Wait a minute... superhero fanboys are actually getting their panties in a bunch about... erm, what exactly? This is all new to me. Caped crusaders should be more black, more white, more female, more gay? Or less so? My mind is boggled, educate me. What are the mongoloids up in arms about?