DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I was really delighted to catch Everybody Knows at the cinema. I love Asghar Farhadi's films so to get to see one like that was a huge treat. I was interested to see how he would adjust to his first fully non-Iranian film and he's not put a foot wrong. Not quite his best but a lot of echoes of About Elly, which I absolutely love.

Also, Penelope Cruz is ridiculous in so may good ways.

I caught The Hole in the Ground this weekend. It's fine. I was hoping for more Hereditary/Babadook vibes than it gave me but it certainly tries to be in that kind of unsettling vein. It switches to convention pretty quickly and I think it's worse for it.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I caught The Hole in the Ground this weekend. It's fine. I was hoping for more Hereditary/Babadook vibes than it gave me but it certainly tries to be in that kind of unsettling vein. It switches to convention pretty quickly and I think it's worse for it.

I wanted to try and catch this in the five minutes it was on for around here but was tied up with work. Sounds like that might have been for the best.

It's up at the usual nefarious sources if you fancy catching it that way. Like i say, its fine. My tatses in horror can differ wildly depending on mood and expectation but this felt a little bit light on depth for the type of film it tries to be. Seana Kerslake did well with what she was given and she would score pretty high on Branqueys lip scale I reckon.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Deadpool 2 

Got a couple of laughs out of it but it was mainly flat.  I know I'm going to get dragged to the cinema to see that new Avengers one soon :(

The first one was a breath of fresh air. This one was lets repeat part 1 with a worse storyline and don't get me started on the ending. I tried to watch Once Upon a Deadpool to see how they made it a PG13 but I got borred about 30 minutes in. Fred Savage was the best thing in it.

• Paid Members

Deadpool 2 is garbage. I liked the first one (although it's not nearly as cutting edge as some were going on about), but 2 is a complete mess. The jokes are plentiful but very nearly all of them died on their arse in the cinema. They then spend a massive chunk of the film doing a bit of a serious film to help build their universe, which feels completely out of whack with the flippant nature of Deadpool and falls into the cliches they mock(ed). It just didn't work.

A shame because, as mentioned, the first is genuinely quite funny.

• Paid Members

After about 20 minutes I thought I was going to hate Super Troopers.

Now I can't stop thinking about the "Burger for a cop!" scene and laughing. Outstanding.

Saw 'Can You Ever Forgive Me'  on a punt today out of bank holiday boredom. Was pleasantly surprised by it and Melissa McCarthy's performance. Love stumbling on films like these. Last time I went into a film blind was 'You Were Never Really Here' last which also turned out to be quality. Will try it more often I think.

268x0w.jpg

"A quiet pawnshop keeper with a violent past takes on a drug-and-organ trafficking ring in hope of saving the child who is his only friend."

Another superb Korean thriller with excellent performances, esp from the lead role. Action sequences are used well too and not in abundance and we get some nice and brutal hand to hand stuff.