DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I'm a huge fan of the Chucky films, so pleased to know Cult is getting decent reviews. I think what's helped its popularity of the years is how spaced out the movie releases have been compared to Friday, Elm Street, TCM and Halloween. To break it down

Friday The 13th - 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1993, 2001, 2003 (FvJ), 2009 (reboot)

Nightmare on Elm Street - 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1994, 2003 (FvJ), 2010 (remake)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 1974, 1986, 1990, 1994, 2003 (remake), 2006 (remake prequel), 2013 (og sequel), 2017 (og prequel)

Halloween - 1978, 1981, 1982, 1988, 1989, 1995, 1998, 2002, 2007 (remake), 2009 (remake sequel)

Child's Play - 1988, 1990, 1991, 1998, 2004, 2013, 2017

• Paid Members

Double Date was pretty good fun. Nothing particularly special but entertaining all the way through. Michael Socha, from This is England, is easily the best thing in it. Enjoyed it.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Child's Play - 1988, 1990, 1991, 1998, 2004, 2013, 2017

I seem to remember that Child's Play 3 (i.e. the one that became notorious over here) was subtitled Look Whose Stalking in the US. Was it indeed or was that just a tagline?

Personally I think Childs Play 2 is the best film of the series.. feel it adds more to the whole aura of Chunky. I've got the Bluray box set preordered with all the films in it, so i'm gonna watch them in order and finish on the new one., really looking forward to seeing More of tiffany and Andy in Cult!!

• Paid Members

I watched them all recently in order. I was really surprised how the quality stays so high throughout the series. Horror franchises normally go completely to shit very quickly.

Baywatch was a hell of a lot more entertaining than its reviews gave it credit for.  Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember the series, and that was absolute shite but very entertaining.  For a Friday night popcorn movie I give it a thumbs up.

Also, it's not often someone out physiques The Rock, but damn... Zac Efron's abs have abs.

I saw It at the cinema tonight. I thought it suffered from the same problems a lot of movies suffer from these days; too much shake cams, jump scares and overdone CGI. I think it failed to expand on the original in any way and the humour Tim Curry brought to the role was badly missed. It was completely lacking in nuance, it had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. I didn't feel that the children feared "Pennywise" enough. A bit of a letdown IMO.

The actor who played Richie Tozier was incredibly irritating BTW.

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

• Paid Members

Maybe it was the crappy early 90s special effects, but "It" looked far creeper then (apart from the end). Such a creepy original film. Made you think for days. All psychological horror too. I remember the end of Part One fucking me up so bad I didn't want to see part Two of the VHS. Chubby kids story really hit home with me in that one. It's a place I don't want to go back to.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
On 10/18/2017 at 3:15 PM, Nick Soapdish said:

I seem to remember that Child's Play 3 (i.e. the one that became notorious over here) was subtitled Look Whose Stalking in the US. Was it indeed or was that just a tagline?

Yeah, you'd be mental making a "Child's Play" film and bringing it over here in 1993 (thus the space between 1991 and 1998, then they changed to comedy-horror a bit) with the Bulger Murder still in people's minds. Whole lot of films can be blamed for it including "Mikey", which was never mentioned but the Bulger father had seen.

"Look Whose Stalking" was the tag-line for "Childs Play 3".

"Mikey" is still banned over here. Full thing is on Youtube though.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yeah, you'd be mental making a "Child's Play" film and bringing it over here in 1993 (thus the space between 1991 and 1998, then they changed to comedy-horror a bit) with the Bulger Murder still in people's minds. Whole lot of films can be blamed for it including "Mikey", which was never mentioned but the Bulger father had seen.

"Look Whose Stalking" was the tag-line for "Childs Play 3".

"Mikey" is still banned over here. Full thing is on Youtube though.

Thanks for the clarification. Mikey looks pretty grim and I am not surprised in the aftermath it was not released, though maybe surprised it is still so over 25 years later. I wonder how he'd seen it when it was never released here, bearing in mind this was pre internet days so trailers would only be on VHS or at the cinema.

• Paid Members

Happy Death Day - I love a timeloop film and this one was pretty good. A bit predictable for my tastes but still really good fun, and very funny in places.

The Ritual - Exactly as bland and pointless as it looks. Nobody needs to see it.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Happy Death Day - I love a timeloop film and this one was pretty good. A bit predictable for my tastes but still really good fun, and very funny in places.

The Ritual - Exactly as bland and pointless as it looks. Nobody needs to see it.

I'm intrigued by HDD so may give that a chance.

after going to Halloween Horror Nights and visiting The Shining house there ive booked tickets to see it for Halloween as .... I've never seen it before. Don't worry, I feel embarrassed enough about it

I saw the Ritual a few days ago. Came across like a B-Movie. Thought parts of it were funny (liked the britishness to it), some of it weird but could tell it was a budget film. 

The funniest part was coming out of the film afterwards and some guy who also saw the film in his Ju-Do suit praying to the posters on the wall mimicking the film, my other half got a bit freaked out by it. 

On reflection the film was worth a watch I guess, had no expectations which makes it easier.

I watched The Babysitter, it's decent enough dumb fun and and Samara Weaving is gorgeous so that helps.. Bella Thorne may be one of the worst actors alive but it felt like her character was written for that and actually worked. They played it real cute for a slasher, a little inventive at times too.

Also re-watched Re-Animator, it really is daft body horror perfection and Herbert West is one of the best horror protagonists ever.