DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, I do not know why I do it to myself. Everyone in the franchiseĀ I have watched and thought "No more" then when a new one is released, I watch it with the anticipation that it might be good, only to be somewhat unfulfilled andĀ The Final Chapter was no different.Ā 

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz

• Paid Members

Made over $300 million off a $40 million budget. That's why they still make them.

Watched a super little film today called Grabbers. I do love a monster movie but this one was especially good. Like a cross between Tremors and The Guard, terrific.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Watched a super little film today called Grabbers. I do love a monster movie but this one was especially good. Like a cross between Tremors and The Guard, terrific.

Is that the one set in Ireland? Ā Shit a brick, we agree on a film, must be a sign of the apocalypse.

I've started watching that one a coupleĀ of times but nodded off. Its a great little premise. Might give it another go this weekend.

I started watching Geralds Game but got so far and couldn't watch on as it took am unexpected turn. Someone spoiler tag the end for me as i was in to it up until this certain point i won't mention.

• Paid Members

Did Blade Runner 2049, last night. My immediate thought after watching it was "I need to see this again", so jobs a good 'un. I found the initial viewing to be borderline overwhelming. There is clearly so much richness going on throughout the film (from the visuals, to the story, to the acting, to score, toĀ threesome), that I definitely missed some little subtleties - like the first time I watched the good cuts of Blade Runner. It's incredible we managed to get a Blade Runner sequel this good.

It was a film full of rock solid performances, butĀ Sylvia Hoeks was bloody terrifying and

her death scene is up there with any villains demise I've ever witnessed, violent and beautiful and completely satisfying.

It's hard not to argue Denis Villeneuve is the best in the game, right now. You come out of his films completely rattled by the emotions he manages to rile up inside you; consistently too.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Controversy alert - Watch out snowflakes

The Dark Knight is bang average and if Heath Ledger's JokerĀ wasn't in it, it wouldn't be held in such high regard

I absolutely agree. Watching it for the first time in the cinema, the sheer strength of Ledger's performance carried it all the way through, so I was buzzing coming out of it. Rewatched it years later, and was amazed how plodding and weirdly structured it was, and how little anything but the Joker felt like it mattered, or had any life behind it.

Miles ahead of Dark Knight Rises, but I hated that one, so that's not much of a compliment.

There's a lovely bit in The Dark Knight where, during a sting operation to catch The Joker, the Joker shows up and a policeman says, "I didn't sign up for this!". This is the exact scenario you signed up for, mate.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I absolutely agree. Watching it for the first time in the cinema, the sheer strength of Ledger's performance carried it all the way through, so I was buzzing coming out of it. Rewatched it years later, and was amazed how plodding and weirdly structured it was, and how little anything but the Joker felt like it mattered, or had any life behind it.

Miles ahead of Dark Knight Rises, but I hated that one, so that's not much of a compliment.

There's a lovely bit in The Dark Knight where, during a sting operation to catch The Joker, the Joker shows up and a policeman says, "I didn't sign up for this!". This is the exact scenario you signed up for, mate.

And for a film as beloved as it is, I thought the whole Two Face thing was as shoehorned into the film as Venom was in the (rightfully) universally panned Spiderman 3. What a misuse of a beloved character

• Paid Members

I was going to bring that up in my post, actually; they spend half the film building to Two Face, only for him to serve absolutely no purpose, and get killed off almost instantly. Harvey Dent, in the context of the film, could have been any public official for the ending to have worked, but no, let's throw in Two-Face for a cheap pop, only to write him out almost instantly.

Get that comic book shite outta here! I say after I just watched Spiderman Homecoming, which was really very good.

Has anyone seen 2049 in 4DX yet? I'm half tempted but I also feel that's going to be way overboard for such a film with so many subtleties, imagine watching something like Stalker and being bombarded with the chair in fronts smell spray trying to recreate what The Zone stinks like.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Get that comic book shite outta here! I say after I just watched Spiderman Homecoming, which was really very good.

Has anyone seen 2049 in 4DX yet? I'm half tempted but I also feel that's going to be way overboard for such a film with so many subtleties, imagine watching something like Stalker and being bombarded with the chair in fronts smell spray trying to recreate what The Zone stinks like.

I am yet to have my first 4DX experience, but I was tempted to do it for BR, however having seen it I am glad I didnt. really I should have seen F&F8 or Baby Driver in 4DX. I think a more action packed film would be more fun.

• Paid Members

I watched 2049 for the second time in 3D and I'd say it added nothing over the 2D experience. I don't know if the addition of a moving seat would help with that but I imagine you'd end up getting sprayed with water A LOT.

It's a film full of subtlety and I'm not sure it lends itself well to 4DX but I'm intrigued enough to consider it and enjoyed it much, much more the second time around so it definitely holds up to repeat viewings. If it does that thing like they did in Star Wars where the seat wants you feel when someone gets stabbed/shot then I suspect that would get annoying. Maybe even moreso than getting sprayed with water.

• Paid Members

Just watched The Snowman. Pretty much as you would expect, quite enjoyable and well acted and stunning to look at. Seems a bit late to be cashing in on the Nordic noir craze though. The ending is amazingly shite. Val Kilmer looks dead.