DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Just browsing some of the titles in the Sky Movies On Demand section.  I came across a movie called K-Shop about some lad who works in a kebab shop and turns vigilante on all the drunks that piss him off during a night out.  Might give it a bash later.  Anyone here watched it? 

• Paid Members
On 05/04/2017 at 7:37 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

Just watched Split

Reveal hidden contents

Knew it had a massive twist, as had been mentioned on here.

First 2 minutes, "Where do I know her from? Oh I think it's the girl from The VVitch? I'll just hop on Wikipedia and check the cast list. That'll be fine."

"Oh."

I'd have fucking loved that bit :(

Spoiler

I watched this today and thought it was pretty decent. I did something similar to you though. Watched Bruce Willis in some shit the other day and decided to look him up on IMDB to check the last film I enjoyed of his. Fucking fuming at myself at the time. I would've marked out if I didn't know.

53 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Probably one for the foreign film thread as well, but The Handmaiden is a cracker.  Lots of non-gratuitous nudity, genuinely sexy sex scenes, and one of the lechiest film pervs I've seen.

Subtitled, and you will need to pay attention.  You may also have to travel to find somewhere showing it if you're not in/near a major city.  I had to go to Enfield :(

I'm a big fan of Park Chan-wook and watched The Handmaiden as well yesterday. I thought it was a very good well acted erotic drama, with good characters and interesting plot developments. It is a little poorly paced though, can be a bit too explicit in parts and it is probably too long (at 140-minutes it can feel a little drawn-out), but it is Park Chan-wook's best film since Lady Vengeance.

It has a really great look to it as well.

Edited by DJM

Finally watched Logan, and really like it, but was stunned at just how violent it was. I haven't seen The Wolverine or the last 2 X-Men films, so was bit taken aback by the language and gore.

Have I missed a shift in tone for Marvel or is this a one off? (Before it's mentioned, yes I've seen Deadpool)

Very good though, Jackman is a very underrated actor.

• Paid Members

Yes, I've heard some good things about that, must stick it on at some point.

Do not stick on Viral though because it's fucking shite. Just like most Blumhouse films.

Free Fire was absolutely great fun though, far and away Ben Wheatley's best film to date.

• Paid Members

Not been a big fan of Wheatley's previous films but Free Fire does look great. Sightseers was rubbish.

I just watched low-budget black-and-white horror The Eyes Of My Mother. Doesn't entirely work and doesn't contain anything you haven't seen before, but there are some genuinely creepy moments in it. And it's only 1 hour 16 minutes too! Lovely to see at a time when most films seem to be pushing 2+ hours. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Better than Sightseers?

I hated Sightseers and every one of his films aside from A Field In England, so I'd say so. Free Fire really is very little like any of his other films, which I think is a very good thing.

• Paid Members

I tweeted basically the same thing about Free Fire and then of course had all my mates who like Wheatley called me out on it. But one them even liked bloody Kill List so that's an argument I wasn't going to win.

Anyway, I really came here to chime in on the 4DX conversation from a few pages back as it got brought up when a bunch of my mates went to see Fast 8 and hated it as a gimmick. The first film I saw using it was Fantastic Beasts and I thought it was excellent. Added so much to the film and was surprisingly subtle in places.

I enjoyed it so much, I immediately pre-ordered Rogue One tickets for my weekly Cineworld Unlimited crew as they'd been pretty hesitant to try it but I found that a much different experience and definitely agree on the whole "getting beaten up by your chair" thing. I imagine Fast 8 was likely much the same.

I think this is a shame because my initial experience of it proved that that it can add something to the overall viewing experience and clearly depends on who it is that's doing the effects for it.

In Fantastic Beasts, the movement of the seat matched the movement on screen - the opening scene where he arrives in New York by boat actually felt like I was on a boat. During action sequences, the seat moved with the action, like you were following it. Speaking to my mate the next day, I compared it to one of those rollercoaster simulators you used to see in the 90's (whatever happened to them?)

I have no idea why you'd want to add force feedback to feel like you're the one getting shot or punched like they did in Rogue One. Doesn't add anything, doesn't enhance or compliment the scene at all.

It's something that could be a great gimmick if used properly but it's largely being used in a pretty hamfisted way and I think it's spoiling the experience and putting off people who might otherwise enjoy it.

Edited by Au

• Paid Members

I went to see the ironically titled  Unforgettable last night thanks to my Odeon limitless card. It's the least I've ever known about a film before seeing it at the cinema, I knew it had Katherine Heigl and Rosario Dawson in it and that's it, although I did assume (correctly) it was some kind of fatal attraction style love triangle thriller.

It was cheesy and stupid but pretty fun, like a 6 month Hollyoaks storyline compressed into an hour and a half. If it finds its audience it could go down as a bit of a modern day camp classic.

The best thing about it was casting Katherine Heigl as the heel, she usually plays normal nice girls but everyone knows she's the biggest bitch in Hollywood so it was a stroke of genius casting her as someone who is such a cunt that she frigs herself off while committing evil deeds.