DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I stand by Last Man Standing, D-Mal. I saw that in the flicks on the night of my 17th birthday and I absolutely loved it. I think I was more in love with Ry Cooders main title theme than the actual film (so much so, I bought the score on Vinyl in Tower Records that weekend) but, yeah, it's one of my guilty pleasure movies.

Haven't watched it in a good while, mind you, and there's a reason for that. I would assume my rose coloured glasses would be taken off and smudged with gik.

Speaking of Hill ; has anyone braved The Assignment yet? Does Rodriguez get in the nip?

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

I gave Last Man Standing another go a couple of years ago but still found it a chore. It's one of those I'm convinced I'll like one day though because, well, it's Walter.

Haven't seen his recent two though yet but I should rectify that. I did watch Trespass again over the weekend and it's still absolute class. Like Walter having a go at a blaxploitation film and getting it spot on.

• Moderators
Speaking of Hill ; has anyone braved The Assignment yet? Does Rodriguez get in the nip?

I have, and it continues his weird fascination with terrible freeze-frame comic book panel transitions, as seen on the special edition The Warriors DVD.

And yeah. The lot. For ages.

• Paid Members

That director's cut of The Warriors is a special kind of shit. Annoyingly there's actually a load of alternative footage from the old TV versions that would make a great edit. Instead, we get cartoons

• Paid Members

Other 80's classics I have never seen include Aliens, The Running Man, & Big Trouble In Little China.

If you watch all three in the same evening, it's technically an orgasm.

Seriously, those three with a few mates, some beer and a takeaway is the best night in you can have.

• Paid Members

"Man who Sued God" with Billy Connolly was surprisingly not as shit as I believed.

Remember that time in the early 90s when the Americans were pushing him, giving him his own comedy TV shows and films and they were rubbish? He's always better in the comedy-drama section, IMO. 

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Against my – and Astros’ - better judgement I watched The Assignment last night.

What the shite was that? I’m all for Walter Hill and I’m all for B-Movie fun and even C and D Movie fun, but this was nonsense...absolute gibberish on celluloid.

I know Michelle Rodriguez has always had a distinct honour of being very attractive no matter what gender she inhabits, but even the image of her in the raw didn’t make me want to pause it!

Either the film was that bad that I was too annoyed and/or perplexed to look at such a fascinating womans realistic, moderately sagging, almost National Geographic magazine bosom, or lads, I’m getting old and the 37 years have caught up to me.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Ooh, doesn't sound great, I'll strike that one off.

I watched The People vs Larry Flynt yesterday, what a brilliant film. Amazing how such a colourful life was crammed into 2 hours and how respectful it was of Althea Flynt too.

• Paid Members

I've just watched Kong: Skull Island. It's very very stupid and the script may have actually been written by a child, but it's about a big monkey* punching other animals in the face so there's always going to be some fun to be had.

He's far too big in it. I understand why ( won't spoil it but anyone who's heard what the planned sequels are will understand why) so there's no real way to interact with the human cast.

Anyway on my 'Chokeout's league of films about things that are bigger than they should be' I put it above Anaconda: Hunt for the blood Orchid but below Alligator

*yes I know he's an ape, not a monkey.

• Paid Members

I'm going to see it tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it. At least it's an hour shorter than Peter Jackson's King Kong. It's so long I'm still watching it now and I started in December.

Rewatched The Man Who Would Be King today. I love films that take real life people and put them in a totally fictional story. Brilliant film.

• Paid Members

"Man Who Would Be King" is such a great film. Michael Caine looks like he had a whale of time acting with Sean Connery in it. Brilliant Bank Holiday film.

Michael Caine worked with Roger Moore too in that crappy 90s Michael Winner film "Bullseye!" too.