DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Bone Tomahawk was a top recommendation. Even Matthew Fox and Patrick Wilson were good in it. James Tolkan pops up to!

Matthew Fox was a revelation. When I saw him in that I thought, "What really?" I mean, when's that guy ever good in anything. But he's the best thing in it and it's got Wilson, Kurt Russell and fucking Richard Jenkins in it. Amazing.

Clearly never seen Speed Racer then

• Paid Members

Did Trainspotting 2 today. Really good. Toned down the comedy a little bit and I liked the fact that it made Spud more than just comic relief as well. Well worth seeing and waiting for.

I just trawled back to see if there was any mention of the new Trainspotting film and there's only Dev's post above so I thought I would continue on from here.

I went to watch it with my wife on Saturday and I'm in agreement that I thought it was great as well. One of my concerns was about how you bring these characters back together after 20 years, on top of following on from what was a cultural phenomenon. However those concerns faded within 20 minutes as everything really felt organically brought together. It had an awful lot of heart and it makes you sit there contemplating what you did with your own life since the original movie came out. As you say, Spud's arc was a joy to watch.

I felt the end was little abrupt mind, but it still didn't cloud over anything in what was a really fantastic follow up.

• Paid Members

I did post what i thought of Trainspotting 2 a few pages back.

It's been a few years so i decided to work through all of Twin Peaks again. I won't go into loads of details about that but I re-watched Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me last night after not seeing it for ages.

My god, its so shit (and that's coming from a big David Lynch fan) .

I think at the time the fan base for the series wanted a continuation but they ended up with a full on David Lynch film, stripped of the humour from the series and more graphic scenes, which don't really sit well. The only bonus is 80's Bowie, looking like he's got a lift from Jagger straight from the Dancing In The Street video, showing up for one scene

God knows what the rumoured 4 hour cut of it would have been (I know most of the scenes have actually turned up on the Blu Ray release)

• Paid Members

I did post what i thought of Trainspotting 2 a few pages back.

Found it now. It was because you started the post about Green Room that I missed it.

I can definitely see how watching the first recently would impact on how you view the new one. For me, I haven't watched the original in years but I'm glad Danny Boyle choose to go in this direction for the new.

For me, if they made it in the same way you suggested today it would have felt like they were trying to replicate the same formula. It's why I enjoyed it so much. You have remember these characters are 45 plus years old now, and chucking guys of that age into something as chaotic as the first wouldn't feel genuine to me.

It's why I used the term organic above. It felt a natural way to bring these characters back together. 

Edited by lambyUK

Went to see The Lego Batman Movie at the weekend. I really enjoyed it, there's plenty for the kids to enjoy and loads of adult gags too (such as the nob gag Devon alluded to). Probably on a par with The Lego Movie for me but preferred Batman's happy-but-not-overly-sugary-ending-because-Will-fucking-Ferrell.

• Paid Members

That is a wonderful poster. I don't think it looks that bad to be honest. Don't like them shoe-horning the Godzilla reference into the trailer and have no idea how they plan on making the eventual cross over work but you can't really go wrong with a giant ape smashing the shit out of everything (plus the poster makes it look like we're going to get an ape vs kraken showdown!)

• Paid Members

That is a wonderful poster. I don't think it looks that bad to be honest. Don't like them shoe-horning the Godzilla reference into the trailer and have no idea how they plan on making the eventual cross over work but you can't really go wrong with a giant ape smashing the shit out of everything (plus the poster makes it look like we're going to get an ape vs kraken showdown!)

That Grey thing looks like Cloverfield

I watched War Dogs today. I really enjoyed it. Jonah Hill is something of a stamp of quality for me, I gotta say. I don't think I've seen any film with him in that I haven't liked.

Echo the Jonah Hill comment.

As for War Dogs, I really enjoyed it too. One of those films that's easy to watch and keeps you laughing almost all the way through. Ana De Armas(sp?) is my main celebrity crush. Hardly a great film but enjoyed it far more than I'd expected to.

Edited by Undefeated Steak