DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Ok, so gave Godfather 3 another go (maybe 3rd time?) every time, about 30 minutes in I think "this isn't as bad as I remembered"...well it is. It's fucking shit. Garcia is awful, Coppola is awful, the script is shit. The story is boring, even Keaton and Pacino just seem so bored.

Joe Mantegna is the only good thing in it.

I've read Easy Riders and Raging Bulls, but this doesn't get mentioned so if anyone can recommend a good book/article on this I'd appreciate it because I want to know the in depth story of how this piece of shit got made.

I know Coppola was forced to make it due to a previous flop, but I want to know more about the script being written in 6 weeks, Duvall etc

I can't believe as well that this got nominated for Best Picture back when it was just 5 films, and that Roger Ebert gave it a higher rating than 2.

What a shit film. I have a weird thing where I HAVE to watch trilogies in order (ie I'll never just watch Return of the Jedi for instance if it's on), but I'm never watching that again.

Whilst having a look what films Kevin Smith has made over the last few years I stumbled across Tusk. After watching a few clips I'm almost tempted to give it a go. Is it as terrible as it appears or is there a tongue in cheek charm to it?

I remember him spouting about Jersey Girl being his Annie Hall coming of age film but to be fair he's probably never topped his first film. Red State was quite interesting but was ultimately disappointing and whilst I'll unapologetically sit through Jersey Girl whenever it's on it certainly wasn't his Annie Hall. Outside of the nostalgia of being a teenager and loving everything he did he's pretty shit really isn't he?

Avoid Tusk. It's so bad and I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan...

• Paid Members

I've lost track of Kevin Smith since "Clerks 2". Has he done anything worthwhile I should be looking at?

Definately probably a bit of nostalgia kicking in. I started watching a lot of films when he was coming out with "Clerks" and I remember that being brilliant and it led me to watch a lot of other type of films.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Whilst having a look what films Kevin Smith has made over the last few years I stumbled across Tusk. After watching a few clips I'm almost tempted to give it a go. Is it as terrible as it appears or is there a tongue in cheek charm to it?

I remember him spouting about Jersey Girl being his Annie Hall coming of age film but to be fair he's probably never topped his first film. Red State was quite interesting but was ultimately disappointing and whilst I'll unapologetically sit through Jersey Girl whenever it's on it certainly wasn't his Annie Hall. Outside of the nostalgia of being a teenager and loving everything he did he's pretty shit really isn't he?

Avoid Tusk. It's so bad and I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan...

Can't say I agree. I enjoyed Tusk for exactly the reason Danger said, and it's without question tongue in cheek.

Michael Parks is amazing in everything he does so he's worth the watch alone. It's just a fucking weird film that makes you laugh whilst making you physically sick at the same time.

Red State too was a massive departure to what he did in the past and for me didn't get enough plaudits. Parks again along with John Goodman are brilliant.

I agree with the above.

Someone who loves all of Smith's films up to Clerks 2 isn't necessarily going to enjoy the films he has done since then. But those first 7 films up as far as that point were all in a similar style, and the two I've seen since are a completely different style altogether.

I personally did enjoy Red State and Tusk, and am looking forward to seeing Yoga Hosers eventually.

• Paid Members

As a counterpoint, Red State is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Agreed on the Michael Parks point, a terrific actor, but completely wasted. It's an utter shit-show from start to finish.

I don't know if it was down to her or Fincher that I found her character to be completely ridiculous but just for you I'll give her the benefit of the doubt  :wub:

The character in the book is far more believable but yeah, quite ridiculous in the film.