DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

its sad to see some of the movies Kilmer's appeared in in recent years :( he did some quality stuff when he was younger.

I watched a horrid movie called 7 Below the other day that featured a bloated Kilmer in a glorified cameo :( he used to be great.

• Paid Members
its sad to see some of the movies Kilmer's appeared in in recent years :( he did some quality stuff when he was younger.

He was fantastic in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and showed signs of his old self in Bad Lieutenant, Felon and Kill the Irishman, but for the most part, since 1995 he's just phoned in his performances.

On a side note, I fucking hate people who eat soup and slurp the cunting thing and let the spoon clunk off their bastard teeth. Fuckin swine sitting opposite me in work.

• Paid Members

I'm on the sick for a bit, so I'll be looking at some films I've had about and not watched yet.

I may or may not succeed at this as much as I'd like, but I finally got around to watching Alien after the 4 film set was bought for me by my mate.

I really enjoyed it. It wasn't as good at building suspense as I was expecting, but my expectations here were very high, and some of the camera work in the switch from the dummy of the robot to the guy having his head through the table looked a a little ropey but over all it was an excellent film.

I really liked how it was just the one alien hunting them down and, for me, you saw the alien enough to not over build the reveal but didn't see it so much it lost mystique.

The only massive let down was Weaver getting her kit off and her clearly not being able to afford correctly fitting underwear which left an unattractive buttock cleavage and had her thighs looking like a bit of gammon tied up with string.

I'll try and watch Aliens when I can, which, for some reason, I expect to be more action film and less tension and what not.

1gotp1nk8cidbootson

• Paid Members

i always find it weird when an actor gets to the point where they just start appearing in any old crap, i mean Val Kilmer's still enough of a name that he can probably pick and choose good roles but is there like a studio contract that makes him appear in certain movies that get offered to him?

or is it simply a case of accepting an easy paycheque?

Cuba Gooding Jr. is another classic example of a hollywood fall from grace.

• Paid Members

Val Kilmer is even lower than that though he does loads of direct to dvd guff now that's even lower than Segal and Van Damme's stuff. He was playing Wyatt Earp in some direct to dvd Western last year.

Val Kilmer is even lower than that though he does loads of direct to dvd guff now that's even lower than Segal and Van Damme's stuff. He was playing Wyatt Earp in some direct to dvd Western last year.

Was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang the last good film he was in, eight years ago?

• Paid Members

Watching Godfather Part II on film 4. Will never get tired of it. John Cazale really was something special.

Has anyone else ever seen the re-edited films put into chronological order. It was originally shown on tv and released on VHS. Adds a whole new dynamic to part 2 with it not being split between Pacino and De Niro and makes part 3 almost berable.

• Paid Members
Jaffa - I had no idea Make 'Em Laugh was done in one take, that's fantastic.

I'm not sure that's true, as the DVD extras mention how it took three days for him to film that sequence, after which he was hospitalised for exhaustion.

Each take would have been long - possibly even the entire sequence - though.

Has anyone else ever seen the re-edited films put into chronological order. It was originally shown on tv and released on VHS. Adds a whole new dynamic to part 2 with it not being split between Pacino and De Niro and makes part 3 almost berable.

That sounds awful on paper. The narrative structure of Pt 2 is what makes it the greatest film of all time (cue discussion).

Did anyone watch Kill List on telly the other night (or any other time that matter)? Heard so many wildly different opinions on it and on paper it was the sort of thing I might enjoy so I was intrigued. I basically thought it was brilliant up until the last act...the dialogue and performances (particularly the lead) were totally authentic and convincing...terrific camera work and use of a daunting soundtrack...the slow build up of tension and foreboding was well handled and the violence was brilliantly brutal!

I just felt the last third let it down a bit as it sort of relied more and more on horror clich

• Paid Members

I thought it was absolutely shit. I saw the ending coming from the start (not the fact that it turned into that rip-off, but who he fights) and if a film can't fool me then it's obviously not very good.

I'll still try the director's next film, Sightseers, because it sounds a lot better. Completely baffled by the Kill List love, though.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members
I'll still try the director's next film, Sightseers, because it sounds a lot better. Completely baffled by the Kill List love, though.

About the brummie holidaymakers? It's hilarious and very good indeed.

Mind you, I liked Wallflower..............