DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I rewatched The Hunger Games last night.

It is such a good film with regards to staying true to the book, but I genuinely feel it's a good film regardless. Jennifer Lawrence is excellent as Katniss, and the supporting cast are decent as well. They managed to convey brutality despite the fact it was a 12A, and overall I really liked it.

Wild Things. It's been about 10 years since I last watched this. Despite some gaping holes (lol) it's not a bad twisty turny film. However, having said that, the main three stars of the film (Matt Dillon, Denise Richards & Neve Campbell) are just awful wooden actors, Dillon especially. I struggle to understand Neve Campbell sometimes when she does that awful nervous laughey warbley voice, and whilst I can understand the attraction to Denise Richards, she looks like one of the Riddlers and her fake tits are just ridiculous. Not that that has anything to do with her acting ability (of which there is very little).

Bill Murray is great in it though.

• Paid Members
If you liked The Perks Of Being A fucking Wallflower then do this:-

1) Log out.

2) Don't come back.

3) I mean it.

What were you expecting when you watched that in the first place?

It to be exactly like this. But I was curious. The cat is well and truly dead now, though.

• Awards Moderator

Had a bit of a film weekend this weekend. Kicked off with We Bought A Zoo because it was on Sky Movies, not expecting it to be all that great. I will always like Cameron Crowe because he did Almost Famous, but I've not been massively into much else he's done - I couldn't get into Jerry Maguire or Elizabethtown, for example, but I rather enjoyed this. Harmless fluffy date-movie sort of fare, but that shouldn't automatically make it a bad thing. Crowe can be very good at 'human feeling', whatever the fuck I mean by that, not sentimentality exactly but the step just below that. Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson both give performances that aren't really showy but are just quietly ideal for their roles, the kids could have been extremely annoying but weren't, the story's just nice, and it has tigers and a bear in it. And William Miller from Almost Famous, grown up, with a monkey.

Followed that with Lars and the Real Girl, which was great. I've been converted to Gosling fandom, he's stupendous here. Emily Mortimer's great as well. It's an unusual story that might turn a lot of people off but is possibly one of the sweetest, kind-hearted-est films you'll ever see. Lovely stuff.

Then came Chronicle which is now my favourite found-footage movie that's not Cloverfield. Really interesting use of the genre, nice twists on superpowers, and at times, I felt it was a bit like the closest we'd get to a 21st century equivalent of Carrie. Not counting the impending remake of Carrie, of course. The main characters seemed genuine, the effects at the end were spectacular. Not perfect, but very good.

Finally, Attack the Block, which I will leave by saying I hated it and couldn't watch it all the way through. Awful.

• Paid Members

I didn't think it was awful but it wasn't great either. I couldn't root for any of the awful twats for characters. It should have been less council estate thuggery and more horror comedy. The creatures looked amazing, though.

• Paid Members

EDIT - Agreed with Sev. Have seen it thrice and never loses it's appeal. By rights, I shouldn't have liked any of them kids or even related to the movie at all (as I'm 34), but surprisingly I did, and especially related to the Pest character from when I was a wee little prick, and just all in all, found it to be a brilliant way to spend an hour and half.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

It was alright. Well done, good effects, looked polished for a British film. I found the characters distinctly unlikeable, wasn't sure whether I was meant to root for any of them, and if I wasn't then I'm hardly likely to care whether they live or die. The progression of the main guy from mugger/rapist to saviour of mankind I didn't buy at all.

Still, overall a good production with some well-crafted set pieces.

• Awards Moderator
It was alright. Well done, good effects, looked polished for a British film. I found the characters distinctly unlikeable, wasn't sure whether I was meant to root for any of them, and if I wasn't then I'm hardly likely to care whether they live or die. The progression of the main guy from mugger/rapist to saviour of mankind I didn't buy at all.

Still, overall a good production with some well-crafted set pieces.

Yeah, that's what I got from what I watched of it. I can get 'good effects', 'well-crafted set pieces', 'good production' and 'polished for a British film' from plenty of things where I do care whether the characters live or die (I just couldn't get over the mugger/rapist elements to their characters. Maybe that says more about my character than theirs, but if you introduce your protagonists by seeing them rob, assault and be one step away from gang-raping a defenceless woman, for what would appear to be no reason, I'm not likely to start empathising with them any time soon). And because, like you, I found the characters distinctly unlikeable, I couldn't justify watching the rest. I'll definitely conceded that it looked well-made, the design of the aliens was cool, and the premise was clearly interesting or I wouldn't have wanted to watch it at all. I just didn't realise what shits the characters were going to be!

Attack The Cul-de-Sac may have been more suitable for my delicate sensibilities.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I think in some ways it was a brave stab at doing something different with both genres but they were like oil and water here. I liked the John Carpenter references but this should have dispensed with the utter twattery of the main characters and just gone for horror comedy.