DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Well this is what we're left with in the absence of downvotes.

I’d rather an actual debate, but fair enough. Not sure whether you have actually seen it yet, but I just feel everything that was done right with Get Out has been forgotten with Us. I’m gutted I feel this way because I loved Get Out and was really looking forward to this, but I’m not a fan of films with so many plot holes and lose ends. I’m sure if you were discussing this with some friends afterwards it’s a good film to try and analyse.  But even ignoring the deeper meanings and messages it (does or doesn’t contain), the film failed for me as being scary. And the reactions to events going on felt off. It was well shot, great casting and acting, but it fell well short of my expectations. Yet I’m still going to rewatch, see if a second watch makes me feel differently and also eager to see his next film

14 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

It was a preview screening @Hannibal Scorch so I'm guessing it's due for a wider release.

Has been around on the Watch and 123 sites for ages. Well worth it.

Think I’ve spoken about it before but it was incredibly authentic, and the soundtrack is spot on. Dude clearly loves his hip hop, and it shows.

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s weird. As like Eighth Grade this came out so long ago in the states they have been out on physical and digital release for a while now.

It's been happening a fair bit where we've gotten films looong after the US showings. Sorry To Bother You couldn't get an international distributor for ages and Suspiria still hasn't had a proper release here outside of a month on Mubi.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It's been happening a fair bit where we've gotten films looong after the US showings. Sorry To Bother You couldn't get an international distributor for ages and Suspiria still hasn't had a proper release here outside of a month on Mubi.

True. I ended up streaming STBY. I know it does happen. I’ve mentioned before we got John Wick about 6 months late: Weirder still, I’m sure Suspiria is an Amazon studios release like The Big Sick was. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I forgot to add, about 6 people left my screening of Us. All after the first hour. Why you would leave halfway through a film is beyond me. I have a 30 minute window, after that I’ll stick it out even if it’s a bit shit

More than double that left during the excellent The VVitch. I assume they walked in expecting jump scares and tits, going by the trailer.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

More than double that left during the excellent The VVitch. I assume they walked in expecting jump scares and tits, going by the trailer.

I’ll absolutely admit I thought from the trailer of Us it was going to be scarier then Get Out, but it wasn’t at all. Not for me anyway

You're all wrong about Us. It's fucking ace. It's scary, has deep refernces, loads of relevant commentary and Winston Duke, whilst playing second fiddle to the outstanding Luipita Nyongo is bloody great. I particularly loved how he

Let's the Mrs get on with it because he's got a bad leg, none of this male bravado shite

England Is Mine

This was pretty decent, and serves as a bit of a Morrissey Hour and a Half, rather than a minute (TM @Keith Houchen), the performances are fine, but do not expect The Smiths:The Biopic as this is absolutely not that at all. Seems like the sort of thing that would be a BBC2 drama, but that's no bad thing.

The Mummy

Fucking HELL. Why I have never seen this before, I will never ever know. This was a superb romp, just really delightful. Despite being distracted by Rachel Weisz's eyebrows in the first 10 minutes (until they clearly watched the dailies and someone had a word), this was relentless fun throughout. Fraser is excellent, Weisz is great, Hannah's great, they're all great. Maybe if I watch all of these over the years, I'll never have to watch Indiana Jones and the Crystal Bollocks ever again.

Mental that I've spent the last 20 years thinking Billy Zane played The Mummy though. Can't wait to watch the other two, but may not bother with The Scorpion King.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

The Mummy

Mental that I've spent the last 20 years thinking Billy Zane played The Mummy though. Can't wait to watch the other two, but may not bother with The Scorpion King.

I know what you mean. I was adamant it was him until I looked it up on IMDB. I’ve seen Returns and Scorpion King, both are good, but never to the levels of the first. I’ve caught bits of the third one TV but no Weisz, no dice

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The Mummy

Fucking HELL. Why I have never seen this before, I will never ever know. This was a superb romp, just really delightful. Despite being distracted by Rachel Weisz's eyebrows in the first 10 minutes (until they clearly watched the dailies and someone had a word), this was relentless fun throughout. Fraser is excellent, Weisz is great, Hannah's great, they're all great. Maybe if I watch all of these over the years, I'll never have to watch Indiana Jones and the Crystal Bollocks ever again.

Love that this movie is still getting the love it deserves. The second one suffers from 'annoying child syndrome' though in the form of Rick and Evelyn's kid son, and he's enough to distract from all the genuine fun to be had.