DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

What We Do In The Shadows. I've never watched Flight Of The Conchords but hopefully it's better than this.  A few little chuckles here and there but it wasn't very good at all.

No, that film is much better that Flight of Conchords. I loved that film though...

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

ffs Branquey you double up on your Jordan Peele hatred and you've seen Dragged Across Concrete two times more than me. Divorce!

This is nothing that a double bill of Aliens and Event Horizon with a nice dinner and some Toblerone cheesecake won't iron out,  D-Mal. Don't you dare give up on me...

I don't know what it is about Peele's movies that I don't like. It could well be my brain irrationally rebelling against itself because the whole world is telling me I should love Jordan Peele and I subsequently sulk about it. 

It could also be as I approach 40, I'm getting grumpier and bitterer, because I used to love everything really and was always a 'glass half full' kind of chap but now I seem to have a permanent furrow that says "hurrrnuuhhrnunnnnmmpphh".

8 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I'm sure there's a good film in there, but fuck me, I don't think I've ever sat through something so needlessly overlong. 2hrs 40m that could (and should) have been 1hr 40. I loved Zahler's other work, and usually dig the slow burn, but filling every scene with extra bits of silence and nothing, with every character doing everything realllllly slowly, does not make for compelling storytelling. There's just a baffling level of extraneous shit. "Here's a 15 minute origin story about a background character!"

It is absolutely, unnecessarily overlong and sometimes the camera lingers far longer than it should after a piece of dialogue, almost uncomfortably like Zahler was waiting for the actor to elaborate and finish his point but I love that, for some bizarre reason. 

When I went to a screening of it in early January, my mate thought it was poxy - one of the worst films he ever had to sit through - and I came out wanting to go back in and go into that world again. Like the way the yanks felt about Avatar.

I just personally love the unapologetic, nihilistic rawness of the world(s) that Zahler creates, and I like spending as much time as possible in them. 

There's a chap on the Fanedit forums already working on an improved pacing/reduced runtime edit, so I'm very interested in seeing that, particularly as this chaps fanedit made Blair Witch 2 quite a decent movie. 

In saying all that above, you're dealing with someone here who thinks Hudson Hawk is a masterpiece, so I'm really not sure anything I ever say holds any weight or validity. 

• Paid Members

I liked Us. As Devon mentioned, the pacing of the film means the two hours go by quickly. I appreciated that it doesn't take itself too seriously and took the piss out of the mad plot, without fully turning it into a goof, which is a real skill.

My only big criticism is the voice Lupita does sounded like Jim Norton's Edgar Mellencamp character. I spent the time wondering when she was going to bring up her dry teeth. I started thinking Peele told her to listen to the compilation below.

410D0YOaMtL._SY445_.jpg

"A 21st-century genius seeks revenge on the woman who fired him, with a killing machine that senses fear."

Never heard of this before picking it up after randomly coming across it online. Man this was fucking awesome stuff. Brad Douriff is the bad guy and you can tell he's having a blast here as he's so enjoyable to watch. The Death Machine is a wonderful creation and looks great, esp as the film is quite low bugdet I think. The film had that Alien vibe, with the tension and claustrophobic feel. You even get a turn away and you'll miss it Rachel Weisz cameo in it too, which I assume in one of her earlier roles. Great stuff.

• Paid Members

If the Dirt really told the story of the band, I suspect 90% of the film would be Nikki Sixx lying in a puddle of his own shit and piss. I'm sure it was an exciting lifestyle when they werent passed out, beating up women or suffering for degenerative bone disease. I've always wanted to be a pretencious cunt and say the following line ... I prefered the book.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I always thought that I’d go to the grave with The Matrix Revolutions being the worst film I’d ever seen.

But The Break-Up is 100% the worst film I have ever seen and likely to ever see. 

I don’t know why I watched it, because I absolutely despise Vince Vaughn in everything. He is awful, and he looks like a walking pork chop.

At least Aniston looks good and I got to see her half naked (although it was probably a body double).

Just the worst thing ever. I always watch things the whole way through as some sort of sado-masochist, but I’m annoyed at myself for carrying on with this past 20 minutes.

15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I Feel Pretty

Could have explored a few ideas in a new way, but didn't and was quite shitty.

Yeah, I watched this recently and it was really fucking awful apart from Busy Phillips, as I bloody love her.

Also, if you were unconscious in a hot shower confined for quite a long time, wouldn’t you be really ill? Or am I overreacting?

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

I had fun with this. There's some obvious gore that you'd expect, but it wasn't that over the top and it didn't really harm the movie imo. The infected looked good with the special effects and I liked the male lead soldier in the role as the overall hero of the group. It doesn't break any mold, but it's still a p.fun ride.

Edited by zep81

Overlord was decent. Thought they could have done a lot more with it and I was amused when my lady finally clicked it wasn't 'that' kind of war film but it was alright like.

I think I'm a fully paid up member of the Jordan Peele fan club as I adored Us and I seem to be the only person who didn't mind

the aforementioned twist, maybe we're all shades of grey maaaaan.

I heard some dweeb in the cinema saying it was too comedic and was nowhere near as scary as Get Out but the main scary bit that's played out in all the trailers is up there with Haneke for tension.

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah, I watched this recently and it was really fucking awful apart from Busy Phillips, as I bloody love her.

Also, if you were unconscious in a hot shower confined for quite a long time, wouldn’t you be really ill? Or am I overreacting?

I also watched this yesterday (Mrs Loki's choice) and it really was terrible, with an appallingly misjudged message.   Felt particularly left-footed compared to the positivity of Captain Marvel.

Two films watched today with the other half.

First off was Captain Marvel at the cinema. I found it to be a better-than-average MCU film, with some really enjoyable performances from Jackson and Larsen, who I thought grew into her character well in a way which coincided with the story of the film. The film doesn't try and be subtle with the themes demonstrated throughout, but it feels more genuine than in Wonder Woman, for example. It still lacked some identity though, with the battle sequences feeling formulaic and not wholly satisfying, and the usual Marvel tropes of humour were littered throughout, but still a very enjoyable film. 

Following that, for the first time was Fellowship of the Ring. I went into this one completely blind, with absolutely no knowledge of the world or environment surrounding the plot. That said, I thought it was excellent. The settings demonstrated were all completely varied and immersive, the acting performances from the majority were entirely convincing, and the plot never felt too laboured despite the massive run-time. That said, the passages of time throughout the film were all over the show, and fucking Frodo, whether as a character or an actor was insufferable. Impossible to root for.

Onto the Two Towers next.