DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The Suspiria 2018 follow-up:

I loved every minute of it, I was initially worried about how different it would be to the original and the 2 and a half hour runtime leaving me bored but the pacing was perfect and I was fully engaged all throughout. It's a complete reinterpretation that stands on its own but there are a few lovely little references there to Argentos work in general, even keeping some of the lore made in subsequent films which has me hoping for future "remakes".

• Paid Members

Wet Hot American Summer is possibly the unfunniest film I've ever seen. Absolutely deserved to be ignored when it was released, and should have stayed that way.

[H7OV0SD.jpg

One thing you can't deny; Jackie Chan plays a might fine drunk. One of the most enjoyable films of this ilk you'll likely to find. The fights are incredible, none more so than the fight fight with Ken Lo. The speed is mesmorising and you struggle to believe the techniques used. The axe gang fight is also another highlight and this is Chan at his apex. Some of the humour also lands very well too IMO and Anita Mui, who plays Chan's stepmother, plays her character and the comedy element so well and is a joy to watch.

Edited by zep81

• Paid Members

Fair to say that Us lives up to its trailer. I'll be genuinely sad when Jordan Peele decides to make a non-horror film. The last two-thirds of this are totally relentless. I'm going again next week.

I've booked to see it tonight. I got to lead my good lady a merry dance as we did a "I've booked for Us tonight" "What are seeing though?" back and forth until she clocked on. This coupled with The OA second series should make a great weekends viewing.

I know nothing of Motley Crue really. Obviously I know of them and the members and that they were debauched, but I’m not arsed about them or the genre at all. 

The Dirt though, is a load of fun. Is it a good film? I don’t know. It’s a bit of a sprint and the editing seems a bit...erratic, but I was never bored at any point. It’s directed by Jeff Tremaine of Jackass fame. Huh, how about that?

Iwan Rheon is great, following up a superb turn in Hurricane, but the star is Machine Gun Kelly as Tommy Lee. Yes, really. 

Worth watching, and well worth watching if you’re a fan of them.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Dragged Across Concrete was even better on second viewing. Just gloriously, unapologetically brutal 

I'm sure there's a good film in there, but fuck me, I don't think I've ever sat through something so needlessly overlong. 2hrs 40m that could (and should) have been 1hr 40. I loved Zahler's other work, and usually dig the slow burn, but filling every scene with extra bits of silence and nothing, with every character doing everything realllllly slowly, does not make for compelling storytelling. There's just a baffling level of extraneous shit. "Here's a 15 minute origin story about a background character!"

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Objectively, The Dirt is bad. It fucks with the timeline of events massively and misses a lot of stuff out for the sake of a cleaner narrative, but it was a breezy watch for a film stuffed with the things it does cover. It doesn't paint Motley Crue as saints, far from it, but they do come across as sanitised.

I almost wish it had been done as a mini series rather than a movie although I am aware that it would descend into nothing more than a catalogue of morally reprehensible acts.