Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Tin Tin was everything that the last Indians Jones should have been.

A Quiet Place was as dumb as most other horror films where all peril can be avoided in a simple way.

5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I liked Bird Box about as much as I liked A Quiet Place. I also really liked Ready Player One. They're all fun films.

I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall today and I'm going to have to stop watching Kristen Bell films now because I certainly don't need another mid-life crush ruining my already fragile sense of worth. Funny film though.

Just like with Brie Larson, I’ll watch any old shit with her in it. Bad Moms, The Lifeguard, Like Father...I’ll sit through them all.

She is utterly charming.

Yeah I enjoyed A Quiet Place, which was tonight's viewing.  Not going all nit picky but the reason why the doors were all open is because the aliens/monsters would have heard them being closed thus would have been alerted to the people in the house.

10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Just like with Brie Larson, I’ll watch any old shit with her in it. Bad Moms, The Lifeguard, Like Father...I’ll sit through them all.

She is utterly charming.

How was Like Father? I was going to watch it just because it was her and Kelsey Grammar.

14 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

How was Like Father? I was going to watch it just because it was her and Kelsey Grammar.

Watchable. The story is formulaic, but the performances are all decent as you would expect. There’s worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

I saw Vice yesterday and loved it. Christian Bale is a stud. When I saw the first trailer I honestly couldn't tell it was him, his metabolism must be nuts.

The fake ending mid-film had me cackling as if only that really happened. The stinger at the real end was a bit ham-fisted and obvious, though. As was the implication that Cheney would willingly let his daughter get thrown under the bus for politics, there's no indication he was really behind it.

Edited by seph

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Really good age old story of down on their luck biographer turning to forgery to pay the bills.  Richard E Grant has a cracking turn as Jack with his rapscallion meter turned all the way up to 11 and Melissa McCarthy can really act when she's given the opportunity and isn't chasing wanking puppets.

Tiny spoiler

There is one scene that had me the closest to wretching in a cinema I've been since the gangrene fingers in The Shape of Water.

10 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Hide contents

There is one scene that had me the closest to wretching in a cinema I've been since the gangrene fingers in The Shape of Water.

Does it involve when they're cleaning her apartment?

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Does it involve when they're cleaning her apartment?

🤮 I could smell it.

I'm no M. Night Shyamalan fan anyway but Branquey is right about Glass. Shyamalan really ballsed it up badly in that final third. I've seen enough to conclude he's a huge fraud.

On the subject of Shyamalan and twisty endings, I watched Serenity the other day. Almost "so bad it's good" but doesn't quite go the whole hog. It starts off as an odd noir parody before going all Trueman Show. It's great if you want to see McConaughey doing a growly impression of Rust Cohle while frequently nude. Speaking of which, when did it become a thing that male leads have to be ripped, no matter what profession or bad habits their character has? Hollywood and I have different perspectives concerning the physiques of dissolute fishermen, I guess. He looked surprisingly short in this too, almost Cruisian levels of midgitery. Jason Clarke is good, though, playing a Frank Booth-like scumbag. Two and a quarter tins of tuna out of five.

Mandy was a bit of a disappointment. It seemed like totally my cup of tea, but it took ages to get going and the gore wasn't excessive enough for my liking - if you're going to pay homage to 80s exploitation then do it with a bit more oomph. Great Donovan style song ("Jeremiah Sand was a righteous man whose heart was full of love!"), but a case of all fur coat and nae drawers ultimately. 

Is M. Night a huge fraud, Devon? He's rather hit and miss, but I re-watched Unbreakable recently and I reckon it's a bit of a masterpiece. He's inconsistent, definitely, and he's a bit too obsessed with going "Ah ha! Didn't expect that, did you? Eh?" but he's very good at creating a sense of the uncanny and spookiness. The scene in Unbreakable with the kid and the gun is almost unbearably tense and it shows that he's a pretty damn good director when he wants to be. I still can't figure out if The Happening is supposed to be funny or not, though. I liked it more than Bird Box (another bloody zombie film in disguise) despite its weirdness. Cheese and crackers!

Edited by Brewster McCloud

2 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Is M. Night a huge fraud, Devon?

12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've seen enough to conclude he's a huge fraud.