Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Jumped on the Upgrade ship today thanks to Amazon's cheap movie week deals.  Hilariously, I have to thank the picture in the thumbnail looking like Jamie Dornan out of Fifty Shades for the Mrs' quick agreement to watching it.  By the time it had started it was too late.  The good news is that we both really enjoyed it.  Yay.

Saw A Dog's Way Home. Pretty much as you'd expect but sure to make alt-rights and homophobes (largely the same thing anyway) furious so I'm glad it exists.

We went to see Mary Queen of Scots this afternoon. It's fine - nothing particularly special though Saoirse Ronan is typically excellent. I was frequently distracted by expecting her half-brother Lord Moray to start busting out Black Mass kicks.

5c09434a5930f81095082e57.png

That's the only picture Google had to offer me, and it's not the best, but I swear, most of the time he's on screen you'd be forgiven for thinking Aleister Black had decided to give acting a go.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

We went to see Mary Queen of Scots this afternoon. It's fine - nothing particularly special though Saoirse Ronan is typically excellent. I was frequently distracted by expecting her half-brother Lord Moray to start busting out Black Mass kicks.

5c09434a5930f81095082e57.png

That's the only picture Google had to offer me, and it's not the best, but I swear, most of the time he's on screen you'd be forgiven for thinking Aleister Black had decided to give acting a go.

First time for everything I suppose

The Mule

Bah God, that's Bradley Cooper's music.  Surprisingly tender, given the subject matter.  Some nice light and shade, but maybe not quite dark enough given that although he was a doddery old bloke he was still shifting tonnes of coke.

Glad I went to see it.

Aye, Polar would have been ace if it was just Mads being a retired hit man in Northern Exposure instead of having that spliced with Little Britain outtakes.

If Beale Street Could Talk

A young black couple in love get fucked by the system in 60s America.  Some incredible look acting, where the leads are just smoldering at each other.  Bonus Poirot interlude.

Beautifully filmed, but quite a heavy subject so maybe not one for a popcorn date night.

Green Book

Loved it. Both were ace in it and anything with Linda Cardellini is worth a watch in my book. 

Didnt realise until after that the guy Viggo plays in the movie was Carmine Lupertazzi from The Sopranos. 

Can You Ever Forgive Me? is a wonderful film, one of the better ones about being a struggling writer that I've ever seen. Melissa McCarthy is brilliant as well. Not bad for a fat lass from bad comedies.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:39 AM, johnnyboy said:

This is the new one at the cinema.  Oddly there have been about 50 films called Escape Room released in the last few years.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/escape_room_2019

In fairness, the room(s) themselves are pretty cool and Karen out of Daredevil is in it but what killed it for me is...

(Massive Spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

The epilogue ending felt more tacked on than pretty much any tacked on ending you've ever seen.  Like they'd finished the film and then got an ok for a series or at least a sequel and had to stick an extra ten/fifteen minutes on to bridge to it.

I was meaning escape plan not room my screw up haha. But yeah escape plan good film I really enjoyed it 

I watched Escape Room today too and thought it was shite aside from Deborah Ann Woll.

Velvet Buzzsaw is really weird. I like Dan Gilroy but I'm not quite sure what he was going for with this. I still liked it, but perhaps more for the cast than anything. 

Re-watched Robocop 2 last night.

To be honest, for the first 2/3 it's a pretty good sequel - some nice satire, some ultra violence, although Kershner is nowhere near the director Verhoeven is.  But the last third is a really awful stop-motion sequence that goes on way too long.

One nice thing I spotted - Bobby Ashley's hype man Lio Rush is channeling the fictional Mayor of Detroit Marvin Kuzack.   

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

But the last third is a really awful stop-motion sequence that goes on way too long.

It's does go a bit Celebrity Deathmatch.

Bohemian Rhapsody

Didn't mind it. Got a bit sick of the overly cheesey "that's a cool riff, let's see where it goes" then cue montage of them practicing the track in the studio which then seamlessly transitions into them performing it on some big stage. Repeat about 10 times.

I did enjoy it though. Rami was brilliant as Freddie. Although loses a star for not including either "Fat Bottomed Girls" or "Bicycle Race".

EDIT: According to my girlfriend, they did play "Fat Bottomed Girls" in it but I must have missed it. I fell asleep briefly at one point due to how gripping the movie was so it must have been then.

Edited by wordsfromlee