DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It's an industrial-looking sci-fi film, part of the point of it was to be a departure from the glossy sci-fi films you had generally seen made for decades. Effects aren't a big part of it anyway aside from one or two scenes.

• Paid Members

Alien is a masterpiece. I'm shocked anyone could think any different.

Watched Grabbers again last night. Fun little monster movie about alien bloodsuckers invading a small Irish island. Watching it on my projector I was impressed with the CGI considering it probably didn't have a butt load of budget. Holds up well.

• Paid Members

I will concour that Alien is great for tension. Though it would have been even better if the teenage twat sat next to me wouldn’t get her camera app on her phone out and get ready to take a picture every time an Alien was about to appear.

also the film itself had that 60/70’s look of a spaceship to it and those sets and the film still looked good in this restoration. It was most of the Alien effects that looked off. I think the Aliens in Aliens were better done. But I’m talking about a horror compared to an action film.

i will also say it was shot beautifully. Early Ridley Scott work is great visually (Blade Runner I still think is a visual masterpiece, possibly his finest in that regard). And I thought the casting was great.

also can anyone explain the Space Jockey to me? Again, beautiful to look at, but the size of it confused me.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

also can anyone explain the Space Jockey to me? Again, beautiful to look at, but the size of it confused me.

With the information you have to go on in just Alien, it appears an oversize human race crashed on LV-426. It became (or already was) impregnated by the xenomorph, and the resulting eggs waited in hibernation until the Nostromo appears. It followed the foreign language distress call started by presumably Space Jockey's race.

There's more detail on this in Prometheus*, but it's a bit 'midichlorians' retcon. Stick with whatever story makes sense in your head.

Oh and while the film is fresh in your mind, I recommend taking in the famous Cocoon deleted scene.

*Yes, I know it's not the same planet. The idea is the same.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Watched Buffalo Bill and the Indians (not one of Robert Altman's best, but still pretty good) last night. Wonder if Paul Newman had hair extensions like the real Buffalo Bill did. Either way, looks magnificent!

Image result for buffalo bill and the indians, or sitting bull's history lesson

• Paid Members

Spent a good 15 minutes flicking through Netflix last night before me and the missus settled on an old favourite of ours; The Mummy.

Yes, the Brendan Fraser CLASSIC (and I'll hear no words stating the contrary) still packs a joyful punch. It's so delightfully fun and everyone involved looks like they're having the best time making it.

Fraser was one of my fave actors in the late 90's/early 00's, and this film (and the incredibly underrated stone cold comedy classic George Of The Jungle) cemented that position. 

The one-liners come quick and fast, the set-pieces are marvelous, the characters bounce off each other like an episode of RAW from 2000, and there's loads of little details that really add to the richness to the film.

Yes, some of the exposition is rather clunky and it meanders slightly in the middle, but it's all quickly swept under the carpet by the time another brilliant bit of character work comes in. It's almost like the cast and crew set out to make the best film possible, with everyone chucking in ideas to make each scene memorable.

Have you seen Fraser lately? He showed up in the tremendous TV series The Affair that only I watch, playing a prison guard. I didn't recognise him until I imdb'd it. His performance in The Affair is top notch, bloody brilliant acting, going from sinister to avuncular without a noticeable gear change. I would gladly butter his parsnips.

evlovwxgdfjdiwcq5ipw.jpg

Edited by Brewster McCloud

I saw 'Leave No Trace' last night. Didn't really know what to expect but have heard it got some great reviews. It's definitely one of the films that keeps you watching as its focused on two characters and their journey so to speak, very well acted. 

Possible spoiler below

I was expecting some plot twist during the film or towards the end but credit where its due there is no real plot twist in this.

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Spent a good 15 minutes flicking through Netflix last night before me and the missus settled on an old favourite of ours; The Mummy.

Yeah, I think it's pretty under-appreciated, it's one of the better action-adventures of the 90s. Shame the Tom Cruise one didn't take more of a leaf out of its book.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

With the information you have to go on in just Alien, it appears an oversize human race crashed on LV-426. It became (or already was) impregnated by the xenomorph, and the resulting eggs waited in hibernation until the Nostromo appears. It followed the foreign language distress call started by presumably Space Jockey's race.

There's more detail on this in Prometheus*, but it's a bit 'midichlorians' retcon. Stick with whatever story makes sense in your head.

Oh and while the film is fresh in your mind, I recommend taking in the famous Cocoon deleted scene.

*Yes, I know it's not the same planet. The idea is the same.

Thank you. The oversized human race is what I was questioning really, but that makes sense. I heard it was featured in Prometheus but that clears it up a bit, thank you.

55 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Alien 3 isn't all that bad, really, is it?

No, not at all. I mean it is vastly different. I think the whole series is unusal as the style changes a fair bit. But I saw this one first as a scared 10 year old on video. I remember the advert for Alien War on it which has always facinated me as an attraction (which still gets brought back ocassionly on a smaller scale)

• Paid Members

There's currently a comic book adaptation of William Gibson's unfilmed script for Alien 3. Haven't read it yet, but it sounds interesting. It's currently at #4 of 5, so I'm waiting for it to finish before picking it up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

The problem with 3 is its start and killing off (OFF SCREEN) a character who was basically the entire heart of the second film. Its such a stupid thing to do.

But 3 has a lot going for it and is enjoyable to watch.

I have the directors cut, but not seen it. I wonder if that adds to that story at all?