DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I can't watch anything to do with the divvil. Genuinely not able for that kind of carry on, at all.
When The Exorcist was re-released in 1998, I sat in the seat with my hands underneath my button down Umbro tracksuit bottoms, gripping both sides of my boxers and wedgying myself with absolute nerve shredded terror, resulting in me standing up and walking out when she started ramming the effigy up her lad.

I walked into the Truman Show next door (where my mates' girlfriend was) for a bit of levity and mirth, but I couldn't get any scene from "You're all going to die up there" onwards out of my head.

When I got home, I sprinted up the stairs, afraid to pull my t-shirt over my head in case Captain Doody - or whatever the shite he was called - got me when I wasn't looking, so I tried to read an issue of Zzap 64 and put my Road Runner and Wile E Coyote video on and stayed awake with the lights on.

I was 18 years old.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I tried to read an issue of Zzap 64 and put my Road Runner and Wile E Coyote video on and stayed awake with the lights on.

You were the other one who bought Zzap 64!

26 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I can't watch anything to do with the divvil. Genuinely not able for that kind of carry on, at all.
When The Exorcist was re-released in 1998, I sat in the seat with my hands underneath my button down Umbro tracksuit bottoms, gripping both sides of my boxers and wedgying myself with absolute nerve shredded terror, resulting in me standing up and walking out when she started ramming the effigy up her lad.

I walked into the Truman Show next door (where my mates' girlfriend was) for a bit of levity and mirth, but I couldn't get any scene from "You're all going to die up there" onwards out of my head.

When I got home, I sprinted up the stairs, afraid to pull my t-shirt over my head in case Captain Doody - or whatever the shite he was called - got me when I wasn't looking, so I tried to read an issue of Zzap 64 and put my Road Runner and Wile E Coyote video on and stayed awake with the lights on.

I was 18 years old.

Interesting. As an atheist since the age of about 10, the Satanic part of the Exorcist was never going to bother me at all, but when I watched the re-released version in '98, for the first time, it actually shat me up in the cinema. I think it was the combination of the soundtrack and the fact that something horrible was happening in that upstairs bedroom and I really didn't want to see what it was... there was just a creeping sense of dread that really freaked me out. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members

I wrote to the Rowlands brothers/Apex via Phil King in Zzap 64 and the Rowlands sent me a Creatures 2 poster signed by Clyde Radcliffe.

It's one of those things that the whereabouts of which really, really annoys me as I know it's in my da's gaff somewhere and I'll look for it periodically along with the Millhouse Mixtape (Millhouse and Bart - Fart) I made on a double deck cassette player in 1994 by stopping, rewinding, recording/remixing a multitude of farts me and my mate made with a dictaphone throughout the course of a day.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'll look for it periodically along with the Millhouse Mixtape (Millhouse and Bart - Fart) I made on a double deck cassette player in 1994 by stopping, rewinding, recording/remixing a multitude of farts me and my mate made with a dictaphone throughout the course of a day.

I'm sure I speak for most on the UKFF when I say that I urge you to look harder for this tape.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

A big chunk of The Omen's more disturbing scenes happen during the day too. Still one of the scariest horror films for me. The enemy that you can't see, can't fight, and can't escape.

You say that, but the scene with the dogs was one of the most scary bits

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You say that, but the scene with the dogs was one of the most scary bits

It was terrifying, no doubt at all about that, but I found the "accidents" prophesied by the photographs to be the most harrowing bits.

There's something about religious horror that I find instils a much more visceral horror, the kind that goes right through to the core. Even though I'm an atheist now, I was raised religious, and there's a sense of something monolithic, for want of a better word, as regards religious mythos, probably because we're conditioned to understand it as a commentary on the very basis of existence. When God and Satan are involved, the story is that there's nowhere to go to get away from it, because their presences cast a shadow over the entirety of creation, and you're always under their gaze. Chills me right to the bone.

• Paid Members

Crash magazine 4 life biatches.

Anyhoo, I remember just before The Omen came out the stories in the sunday papers about the film being cursed.  All the tales of spooky goings on scared me more than the film did,

• Awards Moderator

Can we ban Hannibal from the thread please? This is a disgraceful opinion. 

Alien is a masterclass in tension, body horror and inescapable terror. And it has Harry Dean Stanton in it!