DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The only part I really guffawed at during Pineapple Express was when Franco tries to kick out the front window of the car and gets his foot stuck. I really thought it was genius, but also clearly remember thinking "I wish Shane Black had thought of that setpiece first for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"

Get Out is shit.

I watched Running Scared (2006) again last night. It's outrageously tense, fast paced and disturbing and my pots do be absolutely smashed up - still to this day - when

Vera Farmiga finds 'that' lair

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Get Out is shit - neither funny nor scary. But the last time I said that people shouted at me. I thought it was going to be like a South Parkian take on race relations, but it was just incredibly bland. His new one looks better from the trailer, though, like he's remembered it's supposed to be a horror film. I might watch it.

It Follows had a couple of creepy bits - like when the guy enters through the broken window - but I couldn't get over how silly the whole premise was. Why not just fly to another town so "it" couldn't possibly follow you? And stop mining the 80s for atmosphere and lack of mobile phones, FFS. 

Speaking of which... the remake of IT. It's very poor, isn't it? The child actors are good, but it's just cashing in on the Stranger Things nostalgia "vibe" without offering anything new. Kids on bikes, 80s film posters. Pennywise is a rubbish villain: he scares the kids but doesn't expend any effort to actually kill them, like a shit Bond villain. At least Freddy and Jason fucked them up. Tim Curry was much better. And both versions have ignored the most interesting character: Patrick Hockstetter. Bah!

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I watched Running Scared (2006) again last night.

I didn't really like this when I watched it.

Its 1980s namesake on the other hand - I watch it at least once a year.

• Paid Members

A big chunk of The Omen's more disturbing scenes happen during the day too. Still one of the scariest horror films for me. The enemy that you can't see, can't fight, and can't escape.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

A big chunk of The Omen's more disturbing scenes happen during the day too. Still one of the scariest horror films for me. The enemy that you can't see, can't fight, and can't escape.

giphy.gif

Still freaks me out

I'm not usually one for posting in this thread, but a movie I loved back in the day has been given the ol' cleanup and BluRay release, so I gave it another watch. It didn't disappoint.

Class of 1999 is so bad that's it's good. Stacy Keach puts in a stellar performance of what a proper education security expert should have looked like in 1999, and Malcolm McDowell does a good job as the school head teacher.

Original trailer below. Fantastic stuff.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I haven't seen The Omen since I was a kid, I should pop it back on again.

Original still holds up really well, except the David Warner scene (ironically because the effect doesn't stand up to being shot in bright daylight and could have done with some smoke and mirrors)

Gregory Peck was ace, wasn't he

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Gregory Peck was ace, wasn't he

Yeah, I've seen a lot of his films in the last couple of years. Even in piss like I Walk the Line he was great. Roman's Holiday and Twelve O'Clock High are both brilliant in very different ways.