DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

17 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'm seemingly still the only cunt who thought Get Out wasn't as clever and amazing as it - and everyone else - thought it to be.

I've given it two shots and I still think it's barely alright, so I'll chalk this one alongside the likes of Goodfellas, Forrest Gump, The Pianist and BlacKkKlansman in the Shrug section of my celluloid memories.

I watched 15 Minutes with DeNiro and Edward Burns and I actually really wish I didn't.  What in the bollocks was that?? 

What was the last good movie De Niro made - Ronin?  It's like as soon as we hit the new millennium he decided to spend the rest of his life undermining his reputation as the greatest screen actor of his age.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I've given it two shots and I still think it's barely alright, so I'll chalk this one alongside the likes of Goodfellas, Forrest Gump, The Pianist and BlacKkKlansman in the Shrug section of my celluloid memories.

These *are* both shit though.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Good subject, this. You could also throw in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes and Long Weekend off the top of my head.

A good amount of Wake In Fright is in searing sunlight and I found that film to be terrifying at parts.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

A good amount of Wake In Fright is in searing sunlight and I found that film to be terrifying at parts.

Oh yeah, it's a definite horror film. Especially that one scene, although that's set at night.

6 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Haha, most of this stuff I thought of when driving to work this morning! Proper "Oh fuck!" moments. 

I'm really itching to re-watch too, so I can seek out more of these details. I told a chap at work about this, and he mentioned that his favourite clue is

Reveal hidden contents

Rose almost calling the groundskeeper her grandfather when she's driving into the property at the start. Apparently, she says "Grands-Keeper", like she is quickly correcting herself in the process.

Just watched this again and your mate is chatting balls.

she says "the grounds keeper" it maybe sounds a little like "grand" but only due to her accent. Otherwise why would she say "the" unless her grandad had a massive ego and referred to himself in the third person all the time. "Thats the grandpa , do you smell what the grandpa is cooking?" Myth busted!

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

though their ultimate sketch for me is this

I had no idea he was part of that!  Used to work with a lad called Aaron who, when he made a small error, was met with "You done messed up, Ay Ay Ronn" from everyone.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I had no idea he was part of that!  Used to work with a lad called Aaron who, when he made a small error, was met with "You done messed up, Ay Ay Ronn" from everyone.

Yeah, he only pops up at the end of that sketch, but it was from Key and Peele. There was talk of a movie spin off around the time they were looking to remake Police Academy together, but all that is done now he has a serious career.

Daylight horror films...

Last House on the Left: written off as a trashy video nasty, but highly artistic, affecting and brutal. Incredible performance by David Hess as the horrid Krug - named after the same childhood bully of Craven's who inspired his more famous creation - and the soundtrack is wonderfully incongruous. Hasn't lost any of its power after nearly 40 years. 

Cannibal Holocaust (and most of the Italian cannibal films of the 70s/80s): let's not dwell on the animal stuff, it's a great pioneer of the found footage genre, and has a rather nifty film-within-a-film structure, a strange, haunting soundtrack, terrible acting, and some unforgettable imagery. The Grindhouse Releasing DVD has a rather amusing commentary with an unrepentant, sardonic Ruggero Deodato and a rather more ashamed Robert Kerman.

Witchfinder General: almost a companion piece to The Wicker Man, as Vincent Price delivers lines like "You will each be tied in the prescribed fashion and cast into the moat!" while embodying the evils of mindless superstition. Matthew Hopkins and Lord Summerisle have much in common. Throw in Blood On Satan's Claw and you'd have a heck of a great evening of folksy British sunlit horror. 

The Birds, of course. Would have been rather difficult to do in the dark, mind, unless the avian tormentors were mostly owls. I doubt Tippi Hedren would have tolerated Hitch chucking them at her, though. 

Speaking of the Wicker Man, I like Christopher Lee a lot, but he doesn't half come across as an old grump on the commentary track, constantly moaning about his scenes being cut. Less is actually more with Summerisle. I actually prefer the cut down version as it drops Howie straight out of water and doesn't waste time with his backstory. You do miss out on the great "Gently Johnny" scene, however. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members

Watched Pineapple Express last night, every bit as awful as I expected it to be, with Craig Robinson the only one who emerged with any credit.

Also watched a great old noir yesterday called They Won't Believe Me. Doesn't get spoken about much at all and is largely regarded as a minor classic noir but I reckon it's one of the better ones I've seen. It's been doing the rounds on Movies4Men recently.

I can remember nothing about Pineapple Express apart from the plot that involved drugs, which probably says enough. It's one of those films that I watched at the time, like The Mechanic and some others, that I have absolutely no memory of whatsoever. Superbad, on the other hand, is sweet and funny and stands up to a repeat viewing. Bill Hader is just brilliant. See also: Adventureland. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Pineapple Express is an overlong mess but I wouldn't say it's completely without merit. 

Neither did I - Craig Robinson!