DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

220px-Class_of_1999.jpg

"In the sequel to the same director's Class of 1984, a futuristic high-school principal (Malcolm McDowell) employs android teachers to enforce discipline at an inner-city school embroiled with gang activity."

More of a remake than a sequel to Class Of '84 as this movie turns the tables and makes the gangs the anti hero's going against android teachers. Tons of cheesy fun in this one too. Pam Greer being one of the robot teachers. It follows some of the same formulas and settings as '84, but in a more futuristic sense with robots and making them the bad guys this time. Another gem that I really enjoyed.

It also introduced me to the rather tremendous Midge Ure tune 'Come The Day.

Edited by zep81

• Paid Members

I did the exact same double yesterday.

Fighting with my Family is enjoyable enough. Not exactly a classic (it has it's flaws), but despite it the charm of the performances carry it. Florence Pugh is fantastic.

I walked into Alien regretting bothering because I was shattered, but that vanished 30 minutes in. I've not watched the film in a good 5 years, which helped, but it's still tense. I forgot how claustrophobic the film is and genuinely started to get a little anxious because  of it. Also funnier than I remember.

• Paid Members

I saw MI Fallout again yesterday as part of Cineworld’s IMAX day. The film is still as great as the first time I saw it, but only 2 scenes were formatted to IMAX which was disappointing.

im seeing Alien on Tuesday as some how I’ve seen Aliens and Alien 3 but have never seen the original. Figure the best way to watch a film like this is on the big screen

268x0w.jpg

Not much to say about this one apart from I still fucking love it. Cheesy, funny and just a blast from start to finish. Frank remains one of my favorite characters in a horror movie lol. Superb soundtrack to boot.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

Considering bar the first Deadpool, the two Tim Burton Batman's and Dick Tracy I think superhero movies are fucking wank, I bloody loved this. I was always a big fan of superhero cartoons but never live action stuff. I hated how they always tried to make it realistic when the basic premise is so unrealistic. Like in cartoons, they embraced the ridiculousness of it all and went all in with the over the top characters, action sequences and general style.

All superhero movies should be made like this.

Lords Of Chaos

I don’t really know the story, or am a fan of the music (Slayers about as heavy as I go), but this was quite entertaining, with a decent turn by Rory Culkin. The lad who plays Varg alternates between chilling and cheesy which is a bit odd, but then the whole scene is a bit cringey to be honest.

Warning: it is fairly graphic, with some scenes of self harm/suicide being particularly grim.

Isnt It Romantic?

This was terrible. A film pulling apart romcom tropes could’ve been fairly decent. Not even Rebel Wilson could save it. Stars ugliest man in Hollywood Adam DeVine as well. Fuck him. And fuck this film.

Delirious

A John Candy film is always a treat, and I really enjoyed this. He plays a soap opera writer who finds himself trapped in the soap, having to write his way out and it’s really good fun. Well worth a watch 

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Lords Of Chaos

I don’t really know the story, or am a fan of the music (Slayers about as heavy as I go), but this was quite entertaining, with a decent turn by Rory Culkin. The lad who plays Varg alternates between chilling and cheesy which is a bit odd, but then the whole scene is a bit cringey to be honest.

Warning: it is fairly graphic, with some scenes of self harm/suicide being particularly grim.

Ah yeah, I was meaning to post about this. I used to be a huge fan of that era of metal, hell, I still listen to a good bit of Darkthrone and had some on earlier. I found it pretty entertaining too and liked that they didn't glamourise a bunch of nerdy teens living off their parents as being anything other than that, but that's pissed off a fair few musicians in the scene as it's basically the same as someone exposing the wrestling business.

Black Metal is all a work, brother.

Yeah I thought it was pretty standard but watchable enough. Not as clever as it tried to be but had enough heart to carry it through.

I watched Edge of Tomorrow again. It's so good and deserves way more love than it got. Best part is the 700 shots of Blunt holding that cat stretch.

• Paid Members

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

love Peter Cushing's Frankenstein movies, and Hammer in general, but had never seen this one before last night. I tended to buy into the received wisdom that it's part of Hammer Horror's death throes, and one of their weaker films - as they moved into the '70s, they tended to rely more on gore, tits and shock value in an attempt to compete with American studios, at the expense of atmosphere and decent writing.

I actually really enjoyed this, though. I really enjoy how Cushing portrays Frankenstein across all of his films - he's not the insane, cackling mad scientist of Universal's monster movies or every pop culture Frankenstein you've ever seen, but a dignified, urbane, society figure who happens to be fanatically driven. There are points throughout the series where he almost feels like a sympathetic character before you're reminded who he is. There's a point in this movie where he says to his assistant, "I'm not a murderer", that's delivered with such understated disappointment by Cushing that it becomes chilling - the idea that Frankenstein has a strict moral code, but within his work is just so blinded by ambition that he doesn't recognise it, makes him far scarier than the standard depiction.

The plot of this one is about a student doctor, Simon Helder, who is arrested for "sorcery" when it's discovered that he has been graverobbing and attempting to replicate Baron Frankenstein's experiments. He's committed to an asylum, where the Baron himself was sentenced but, via machinations that become clear over the course of the film, has managed to become appointed the doctor in residence. 

Helder was played for the most part as cold and emotionally distant, and the Baron at times with something approaching warmth, that I spent much of it wondering who would eventually "break" - whether Helder, exposed to the real Frankenstein, would realise the true horror of what he was meddling in, or if Frankenstein would be eclipsed by someone equally driven but with fewer moral hang-ups, and have a Frankenstein face turn. I won't say which happens.

The monster is pretty goofy - it's a David Prowse-played hairy beast man thing. I admire Hammer's insistence on never presenting any of their Frankenstein creations as the Universal style bolt-neck monster, but given that this one was just supposed to be a hodgepodge of human body parts, I don't think there was any explanation why he looked the way he did. 

• Paid Members

Finally sat down and watched Get Out on the weekend.

Really enjoyed it! Hit all the right marks for intensity and executing a concept with equal amounts style and substance. It was restrained too, and that really surprised me considering that it's a modern horror.

Some stuff felt a bit off (why would the family willingly invite a professional photographer? Who made noise in the cubbby hole?) but not enough to bring the film down as a whole. 

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

The monster is pretty goofy - it's a David Prowse-played hairy beast man thing. I admire Hammer's insistence on never presenting any of their Frankenstein creations as the Universal style bolt-neck monster, but given that this one was just supposed to be a hodgepodge of human body parts, I don't think there was any explanation why he looked the way he did. 

They couldn't. Universal were militant about their copyright of their version of the character by that point. I'm surprised Hammer managed to get away with the Christopher Lee look as the Monster because of a couple of the similarities.

From what I understand Hammer actually had to rewrite a couple of the earlier Frankenstein films to remove elements that were in the Universal movies.