DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

EDtv

This was really good, with some excellent Woody Harrelson acting, and I always enjoy McConaughey and Ellen Degeneres in most things. 

Bit too long by half an hour, and it probably got overshadowed by The Truman Show, and quite rightfully so.

Still generally quite good fun though.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Anyone seen Eighth Grade? Some cracking acting and interesting insight into how teenage anxiety has been affected by social media. Was not what I was expecting and can’t believe there was no Oscar buzz

I can believe it, because it's a film I actually want to see and those two things are usually mutually exclusive.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I can believe it, because it's a film I actually want to see and those two things are usually mutually exclusive.

I just found out it's due for release here in April. 8 Months after the states. It's like John Wick all over again! Anyway, it's out now in the states, so I recommend seeking it out.

• Paid Members

Cold Pursuit was really good. I slightly prefer the original, In Order of Disappearance (think it might be on Netflix) but I liked the way it kept the same offbeat humour and didn't just settle for being another Liam Neeson actioner.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Anyone seen Eighth Grade? Some cracking acting and interesting insight into how teenage anxiety has been affected by social media. Was not what I was expecting and can’t believe there was no Oscar buzz

Yeah, great film. Elsie Fisher is one to watch, what a performance 

220px-Class_of_nineteen_eighty_four.jpg

"When a group of students led by a psychopath (Timothy Van Patten) terrorizes an inner-city high school, the new music teacher (Perry King) decides on violence as the final measure of discipline"

This was excellent, a real cult classic. Perry King is great in the role as the main teacher who the gang targets and terrorizes and when they target his wife, it leads to the inevitable bloody revenge. Roddy McDowell is also great as the other teacher wrapped up in this and there's a powerful scene where the gang stage a horrific scene in his classroom involving his animals. Van Patten is so well casted as the sadistic and narcissistic leader of the gang. That piano scene perfectly sums him up and is a wonderful and quite powerful scene.

A gem of a movie.

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I caught it a few months back, seems like it was uploaded early or something. I thought it was wonderfully done, it's not often a teen drama feels so real.