DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

16 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

I'm such a philistine, I can't watch black and white films. The only one I can tolerate at all is Night of the Living Dead, and even then only if it's playing on a TV for a few seconds in another film.

Why's that? If it's a rainy Sunday afternoon it doesn't get much better than watching some film noir and sinking into the smoky world of private detectives, femme fatales and snappy dialogue. 

Searching

Thought the story lacked a bit as I could see every twist and turn from a mile away but it was a well executed movie and probably the best one I've seen in the kinda "found footage" style of filming. I read afterwards that it was completed animated from scratch and for the German, Spanish, French, Russian and Portugese versions they recreated every website/phone/TV for that respective language as well as every typing sequence, keystroke for keystroke.

If it was set on my piece of shit laptop then the movie would have probably lasted about 8 hours.

13 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Why's that? If it's a rainy Sunday afternoon it doesn't get much better than watching some film noir and sinking into the smoky world of private detectives, femme fatales and snappy dialogue. 

I find it hard to suspend disbelief. The performances are quite theatrical, as are the sets. And the writing. I've just no appreciation for the style of the era. I like stuff with naturalistic dialogue and/or grand spectacle, and I don't find much of either in the black and white times. There may well be lots of black and white films I'd like, but I've found no sign of them yet.

I also hate all Wes Anderson films that I've seen.

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

I find it hard to suspend disbelief. The performances are quite theatrical, as are the sets.

Without meaning to sound like the ponce I am, this is why I prefer reading Shakespeare as I can't stand the enunciation when seeing it performed (With the exception of Maxine Peake playing Hamlet).  This could be why the best film adaptation of Shakespeare is Kurosawa's Throne Of Blood as I don't understand what the fuck they're saying anyway.

11 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

I find it hard to suspend disbelief. The performances are quite theatrical, as are the sets. And the writing. I've just no appreciation for the style of the era. I like stuff with naturalistic dialogue and/or grand spectacle, and I don't find much of either in the black and white times. There may well be lots of black and white films I'd like, but I've found no sign of them yet.

What about Clerks? Ah, "naturalistic dialogue". I can't stand Wes Anderson either, the oh-so-quirky nincompoop. There's a great Saturday Night Live parody of him - The Midnight Coterie of Sinister Intruders - that tickled me.

I watched Close last night, on Netflix with Noomi Rapace.  I really enjoyed it - a straight up actioner but written, directed by and starring women.

Good taught script, good performances and some nice set pieces.  Plus they keep it to an hour and a half which is perfect length.

Thumbs up - and Netflix movies are getting a LOT NXT better.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

I understand where you're coming from, actually. There's a noticeable difference in style between older era films and today, and I think it can be an acquired taste to a certain extent. It's only when the Hays Code started to disintegrate that you started seeing a more realistic style coming in. So I do know what you mean.

@Loki - Yes, it's a lot of fun. Rapace was also in a fun actioner a couple of years ago called Unlocked which is on Netflix, it was also largely ignored. I always look forward to a new Netflix action or horror film, it's like the new DTV and I mean that in a good way.

• Paid Members

Green Book is wonderful. It's filled with some great formulaic 80/90s-esque turns and what not, which works well because they all stick and build goodwill with the two leads. Clearly owes a lot to Planes, Trains and Automobiles with the way the two character play off one another.

Whenever a film is over 2 hours I always have a mild sense of dread because if the film isn't hitting the marks then, bloody hell, does it drag in. Thankfully it was a rare effort where you are so charmed (and horrified, of course) by the world created by all involved that you are very happy for it to continue.