DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

If Beale Street Could Talk, in the end, is a very good film. Initially, I found it to be weighed down completely by some really unconvincing performances by the support cast - with some ropey dialogue, creating an Eastenders in the Vic vibe.

However, the two leads take over for the last two thirds and it saves the film.

Bit of the old rumpy pumpy too; lovely bit of tit and cock.

Probably hoping there’s still some folk in town from seeing The Room last weekend

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Since it was mentioned either in this thread or another, there's a Neil Breen film on at the Prince Charles cinema in Leicester Square this evening. So I'll probably regret checking that out.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

Is ironically watching Neil Breen films a big thing now? 

Unfortunately yes.

The Lego Movie 2 is absolutely great. I enjoyed it slightly more than the original, making the Lego universe code - Batman / Lego Movie 2 / Lego Movie / Ninjago.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:59 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

I've seen enough to conclude he's a huge fraud.

I think he's probably a fantastic DoP - the cinematography in his films is always beautiful, particularly the lighting.  Combine that with a couple of very well written scripts and good casts and he's probably batted above his grade.

I still think he's made great films.  Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, The Village (which I really liked) and Split are all worthy.   The problem is, when he's bad he's TERRIBLE - Lady In The Water and The Happening, back to back no less, is unforgivable.

A Star Is Born

Through all the hype I was able to stay away from spoilers.

I’m glad I did and went in blind, having not seen many trailers or reviews so unaware what to expect.

The two leads are brilliant, the soundtrack excellent and packs a punch in the final third.

• Paid Members

I don't think it has as much scope for a follow-up on the Netflix romcom stakes as To All the Boys I've Loved Before, but Set It Up was still way better than expected. Zoey Deutch is great but even Lucy Liu was really good and she often isn't. Really good stuff.

Glass was a solid enough film if you ignore the fact he

completely ruins the film by having the near invincible protagonist drown in a fucking puddle! All he had to do was let them have an epic fight across the city and the boring as shit middle would have been somewhat forgiven. A fucking secret society of people who don't want people to know about super hero's is stupid and if the payoff is people seeing it all on the internet then I wonder if M. Night Shymalen has ever been on the internet