DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

On the subject of Shyamalan and twisty endings, I watched Serenity the other day. Almost "so bad it's good" but doesn't quite go the whole hog. It starts off as an odd noir parody before going all Trueman Show. It's great if you want to see McConaughey doing a growly impression of Rust Cohle while frequently nude. Speaking of which, when did it become a thing that male leads have to be ripped, no matter what profession or bad habits their character has? Hollywood and I have different perspectives concerning the physiques of dissolute fishermen, I guess. He looked surprisingly short in this too, almost Cruisian levels of midgitery. Jason Clarke is good, though, playing a Frank Booth-like scumbag. Two and a quarter tins of tuna out of five.

Mandy was a bit of a disappointment. It seemed like totally my cup of tea, but it took ages to get going and the gore wasn't excessive enough for my liking - if you're going to pay homage to 80s exploitation then do it with a bit more oomph. Great Donovan style song ("Jeremiah Sand was a righteous man whose heart was full of love!"), but a case of all fur coat and nae drawers ultimately. 

Is M. Night a huge fraud, Devon? He's rather hit and miss, but I re-watched Unbreakable recently and I reckon it's a bit of a masterpiece. He's inconsistent, definitely, and he's a bit too obsessed with going "Ah ha! Didn't expect that, did you? Eh?" but he's very good at creating a sense of the uncanny and spookiness. The scene in Unbreakable with the kid and the gun is almost unbearably tense and it shows that he's a pretty damn good director when he wants to be. I still can't figure out if The Happening is supposed to be funny or not, though. I liked it more than Bird Box (another bloody zombie film in disguise) despite its weirdness. Cheese and crackers!

Edited by Brewster McCloud

An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn

A fun and odd movie from the guy who brought us the brilliantly strange Greasy Strangler. It could have done with being about 15-20 minutes shorter but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Also, the film has made me fall in love with Aubrey Plaza 😍

Alita: Battle Angel

Reviewers have been kind of harsh on this, I think most of them expected something clever or at least something attempting to be clever like Ghost In The Shell but Alita wasn't ever meant to go down that route. This is a full-on action flick with special effects and CGI galore, it's a hell of a looker and I really enjoyed it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The Maestro said:

An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn

A fun and odd movie from the guy who brought us the brilliantly strange Greasy Strangler. It could have done with being about 15-20 minutes shorter but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Also, the film has made me fall in love with Aubrey Plaza 😍

I'm only really interested in this for her but The Greasy Strangler was such utter shite that I don't expect to make it to the end.