DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
On 12/29/2018 at 10:55 PM, johnnyboy said:

Bumblebee

Easily the best Transformers film since Transformers: The Movie.  A little bit ET, a little bit Short Circuit, 80s to the radical max soundtrack, Big Man John Cena still not being as good as The Rock.  By keeping the combat and that relatively low key it wasn't as motion sickness inducing.  Decent.

It's definitely Short Circuit 3. One of the surprises of the year.

Just watched Midnight Run for the millionth time. Who doesn't like this film? Just asking so I can block you.

• Paid Members

Aye. Bumblebee is good and another surprise from Cena. I was sold the second Bigmouth Strikes Again came on, which surprisingly led to more Smiths jokes. It's a film that clearly nods to it's many influences, but because the film is such fun and well made it doesn't lead to nostalgia fatigue because they go a bit heavy and cheap with "remember Wham", which sinks many lesser nostalgia nods.

My only gripe was the inevitable crash-bang fighty bit at the end, which I was really bored with quick sharp. Thankfully it's not overly long. That and John Ortiz distracting face, looking like Bob Mortimer dressing up as Fred Armisen.

The Old Man & The Gun is all charm. I bloody love it. Tom Waits, again, steals the show with a couple of genuinely hilarious scenes.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

That and John Ortiz distracting face, looking like Bob Mortimer dressing up as Fred Armisen.

Seriously I couldn’t wait for the credits to role as I had honestly thought it was Fred in some dodgy make up. Glad I wasn’t alone in that.

finished 2018 by watching searching. Very cleverly filmed and in its execution. Kept me gripped and was really impressed

On 12/29/2018 at 10:55 PM, johnnyboy said:

Bumblebee

Easily the best Transformers film since Transformers: The Movie.  A little bit ET, a little bit Short Circuit, 80s to the radical max soundtrack, Big Man John Cena still not being as good as The Rock.  By keeping the combat and that relatively low key it wasn't as motion sickness inducing.  Decent.

Saw the trailer for this the other day on YouTube it looks alright and worth a punt tbh 

I watched the new Halloween film the other day after being so excited to watch it and it was so disappointing. Really did look so good on the trailers and for me just didn't hit the expectation I held for it. 

I don't stream or torrent films, as I'm old fashioned, so I either buy bootleg DVDs or use Youtube. During my recent xmas holiday, I watched a bunch of horror films on youtube. Off the top of me 'ead:

I Saw The Devil: quite well shot/directed, but the concept itself was rather silly. Why, if you're a moralist, would you let loads of other female victims get fucked up before you "rescue" them? I find Asian films in general often lack basic common sense, narratively. 

Hell High: a late 80s horror film about some rather odious kids taking revenge on their teacher. Quite shocking, this one, in the "me too" era. Rape being played almost for shits and giggles. I liked the death scenes but I neither shat nor giggled. Like rape was a normal thing to do as a prank back then. Panty raids, spying on women in the shower, LOL. What a fucking decade. Revenge of the Nerds also has blood on its hands.

Body Bags: I really liked this one. Some great cameos and each story was pretty cool. John Carpenter, you da man!

Severance: Danny Dyer's finest moment. It's a pretty good film, really. It also has a hilarious line about fnding a pie. 

Oh, and RV! It's pretty much National Lampoon's Vacation, but it really hit home how good an actor Robin Williams was. I much prefer him in comedy mode compared to the pretentious nonsense of Dead Poet's Society. RV is not a great film, but Williams is fucking gold in it. He can switch between quite emotional stuff about family and whatnot, to doing a total Bill Murray deadpan. You watch him, you sit back, and you realise that Robin Williams was just a pretty special guy. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud
Williams

• Paid Members

So I'm a traitor now because I went to see the Spider-Man cartoon and thought it was absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Honestly an incredible piece of work that felt like it wanted everyone to like it rather than just pimply Forbidden Planet dwellers.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

So I'm a traitor now because I went to see the Spider-Man cartoon and thought it was absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Honestly an incredible piece of work that felt like it wanted everyone to like it rather than just pimply Forbidden Planet dwellers.

When I watched it I was going to suggest you might enjoy it because I really thought you would if you gave it a chance but I thought better of it. I'm glad you enjoyed it man.

• Paid Members
Just now, Bellenda Carlisle said:

When I watched it I was going to suggest you might enjoy it because I really thought you would if you gave it a chance but I thought better of it. I'm glad you enjoyed it man.

It was everything that I have always said that comic book movies should be - first and foremost a film that sets out to appeal to everyone. I never felt lost with it, it didn't bore me with deep backgrounds, but it told me enough about everyone involved. Plus the animation is beyond anything I've ever seen. Loved it, and so did my daughter.