DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Dumplin

Wasn’t expecting much from this but it was very good. Jennifer Aniston is an ex beauty pageant queen who is still very involved in the scene and her daughter Willowdean is not the beauty pageant type, who is obsessed with Dolly Parton, something she inherited from her aunt, who she was very close to.

That sounds pretty shit, but it’s a very good film, pretty concise, doesn’t outstay it’s welcome and the performances of Aniston (best since A Good Girl probably), Danielle MacDonald, who follows up a great turn in Patticakes with this, and Odeya Rush...good god...Odeya Rush, are excellent. 

It gets a bit schmaltzy, but really enjoyed that. Oh, and good cameo from Harold Perrineau too.

• Paid Members

I don't think I'd even seen a film set in Oakland before this autumn, but in the last couple of months we've had Blindspotting and now Sorry to Bother You. They're both two of the year's best films too.

Almost impossible to describe what this is but it works, like Blindspotting does, as a brilliant satire and a smart piece of entertainment. Lakeith Stanfield is such a good actor but Tessa Thompson steals it. Loved this.

• Paid Members

He was also in The Girl in the Spider's Web recently and was excellent in that in a pretty limited role. Just saw Short Term 12 recently too and he was the best thing in that. He's doing Rian Johnson's next film as well.

20 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

What a show full of talent Atlanta is. @SuperBaconloves a bit of Netflix YA action. You'll be as happy as my 13 year old daughter that To All the Boys I've Loved Before has had sequels ordered.

Yeah, me and my eldest enjoyed that. As long as that dreamy Noah Centino is in them, I’m happy. Netflix has done well with YA this year tbh.

And yeah, Atlanta is full of incredible talent. Zazie Beets...❤️

• Paid Members

It's a real shame First Reformed only got a minute cinema release because it's really quite a brilliant film. It's always a relief when you watch something that's received as much praise as this and it really is that good.

The Breadwinner is also excellent. I have a lot of time for these animated films that don't 'have' to be animated, and this is a gorgeous film.

I've been waiting to see Sorry To Bother You for bloody ages, put off downloading a pirate copy as I really wanted to support it and it was ace. Was it just me or was there some low key digs at your white anarchist types throughout? They got a chuckle out of me.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I've been waiting to see Sorry To Bother You for bloody ages, put off downloading a pirate copy as I really wanted to support it and it was ace. Was it just me or was there some low key digs at your white anarchist types throughout? They got a chuckle out of me.

Absolutely. Amazing how Riley managed to keep it subtle considering some of the things in it!

Watched a zombie film called The Cured last night, starring Astro's ex Ellen Page. One of the most surprisingly good films I've seen this year and a zombie film with actual different ideas in it.

Molly's Game wasn't very good, just 140 minutes of exhausting dialogue and poker and Jessica Chastain doing Acting. Kevin Costner and Idris Elba were great though. I don't think I like Aaron Sorkin.

Love, Simon was terrific but I do love a high school comedy. Stretches out its ending a bit too far but it's really funny in places and great fun. Almost on a par with The Edge of Seventeen as recent high school films go.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

138 minutes of Chastain's decolletage so it's not all bad.

Aquaman

I saw it in the screenx 270 degree showing.  They put someone in the screening to announce at the beginning that not all of the film uses all 3 sides of the auditorium.  That coming in and out on different scenes was quite fun and worth the extra £3 to give it a whirl.  I'll stick to IMAX our Super Screen for premium viewing in the future though.

Roman Reigns the movie, not so great.  Iron Man landing, Samoan carry, and he may have cocked his fist for a punch.  About an hour in I thought we must be near the end... it's nearly two and a half hours.

Some scene setting scenes (!) have the creepiest digital de-ageing I've seen.  It made the actor look like an NPC in a non-AAA RPG.

Having said that, probably top 4 in the DCU just down to Amber Heard in a red wig and Big Jase being really super-heroey.

It wasn’t awful but it was a mess. Amber Heard is pretty but an awful actress. The film didn’t know if it was a superhero movie, Romancing the Stone style romp on tron. Fight scenes often looked liked the only action film the director watched for reference was The Matrix. Well overlong and made me tired during Spider-Man which was 100x more fun

• Paid Members

Finally saw The Meg yesterday and it was nearly everything I hoped for. It's probably a little to long, hugely cliched and yeah it has an appropriate amount of dodgy dialogue/ropey acting but it's the Stath Vs a prehistoric giant shark!

Damn entertaining in my view. My only real criticism is that the Stath didn't call the shark 'Meglocunt' and then punch it in the eye. Missed opportunity.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, DEF said:

My only real criticism is that the Stath didn't call the shark 'Meglocunt' and then punch it in the eye. Missed opportunity.

Might not have got away with that in a 12A!

I watched the new Death Wish last night and it's actually not too bad. Still pretty bad, especially in its first half before it becomes a cartoon violence action thriller in the second, and Bruce Willis reminded me of "Death Wish 9" / "I wish I was dead, oy!" But it might actually have been decent if Joe Carnahan had directed it.

Phantom Thread made me so glad I didn't pay to see it though. Looks like we've lost PTA for good, what a shame.