DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Isn't Tom Waits in Polar Express playing songs on top of the train? My Mum loves that film and its always a nice surprise that he pops up in it.

That's not him - that character is voiced by Tom Hanks, but seems clearly modeled on Waits.

I'm convinced the accent Heath Ledger used for The Joker comes from a young Tom Waits as well; it has the same kind of drawn out, slightly gravelly Californian drawl. I remember watching the film in the cinema, spending the first half of the movie trying to work out who the voice reminded me of, and the second half going, "no, it couldn't possibly be that, why would it be?". I mentioned it to my then-girlfriend, and she thought I was an idiot, but I still reckon he was a big influence on that performance.

• Paid Members

The Wolf of Wall Street is pretty shit unless you want to watch what felt like 17 years of complete cunts getting high and fucking. I'm sick of seeing Shea Whigham only get about two minutes in films as well, he deserves better than this.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Is it another Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow in.... performance?

Absolutely not. Completely rained in. Probably his best acting performance in at least a decade. Shows what happens when a director actually directs him and not lets him run wild. Both him and Law were better then expected 

• Awards Moderator
48 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Is it another Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow in.... performance?

I'd describe it as 'not as distracting as in the first one, but nothing that couldn't have been done as well or better by loads of other actors who don't have the Depp baggage'. He didn't ruin the film for me but I'm still not sold.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I quite liked him. As Hannibal mentioned, he was directed in this and not just allowed to do what he wants. He did seem to be doing a Bowie in Labyrinth impression at times but I am ok with that. I think a lot of people were willing to hate him in this film and he was one of the better things about it in my opinion.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

I agree, Jude Law was spot on in the role.

It does.  The novel only existing in note form would explain a lot.

Hardcore Potterheads might weigh in on this a bit more... (Massive spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

If it's true and Credence isn't being manipulated then timelines and established history don't exactly support it being true according to some nerd research.  If it is true maybe it'll be magically explained how he never appeared in family mirror visions due to a curse or something.

Here is my take

Unless I have misunderstood, the blood pact means that Grindlewald and Dumbledore cannot kill each other, so he needs Creedence to do his dirty work via manipulation

• Awards Moderator
22 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

But...

Hide contents

Is he really a Dumbledore?  E.g. Towards the end of this -

http://collider.com/fantastic-beasts-2-dumbledore-brother-explained

I’d have leant towards it being Grindelwald manipulating him because he knows the power + emotional impact of an Obscurus could defeat Dumbledore - whose power, to be honest, you wouldn’t know about if you didn’t already know him from Potter but I guess that’s a moot point.

But there’s the Phoenix. I’m not satisfied by that article’s explanation of ‘Grindelwald could have just conjured it’ - it seemed like all those hints were being dropped about Dumbledores and phoenixes and that scene with Credence and the baby bird who I presume was the same Phoenix so that we didnt just assume the revelation was Grindelwald manipulating him.

I dunno. But it makes me want to see what happens next, so job done I guess.

• Paid Members

Can't believe they're doing a sequel to Den of Thieves because it really is a pile of shit. I love O'Shea Jackson and I'll already watch anything with him in but he's slumming it in shite like this.