DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Working my way through the Friday the 13th films. Is it ever explained how Jason goes from child in lake, to teenager in a pillowcase to hench monster in overalls and hockey mask? 

• Paid Members

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is easily the most I've enjoyed a Coen Brothers film since True Grit. It definitely helped that I found it to be their funniest effort in ages, with most of the jokes making me chuckle like a Bond villain. I agree that some of the stories are better than others, but nonetheless, it holds your interest and, importantly, Tom Waits plays a gold prospector.

As Devon pointed out, Cam really is excellent. Similarly, I was worried the overall message of the film was going to be about camwork = bad, but I found it more damning on the evils of internet privacy and data etc. Anyway, it gets a little fucked up and Madeline Brewer is very good throughout.

1 hour ago, Louch said:

Working my way through the Friday the 13th films. Is it ever explained how Jason goes from child in lake, to teenager in a pillowcase to hench monster in overalls and hockey mask? 

I Think a novel expanded on it a bit and that Jason didn't drown and ended up living off the land around camp crystal lake in the shack that's in part 2. He witnesses his mother death years later and take the machete and her head back and makes a shrine to her. He then kills anyone who transpasses on the land. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is easily the most I've enjoyed a Coen Brothers film since True Grit. It definitely helped that I found it to be their funniest effort in ages, with most of the jokes making me chuckle like a Bond villain. I agree that some of the stories are better than others, but nonetheless, it holds your interest and, importantly, Tom Waits plays a gold prospector.

As Devon pointed out, Cam really is excellent. Similarly, I was worried the overall message of the film was going to be about camwork = bad, but I found it more damning on the evils of internet privacy and data etc. Anyway, it gets a little fucked up and Madeline Brewer is very good throughout.

The only Coens films I've ever really disliked are Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers and Burn After Reading. But this definitely felt a level above anything since True Grit.

As for Cam, I hope Isa Mazzei goes on to write other stuff in this field and this isn't a one-off. I reckon this might have done good business at the box office if it did some cinema time. I think Netflix need to look at that side of their originals.

• Paid Members

I didn't realise just how many films Tom Waits has done. I only recognised him in Bram Stoker's Dracula after someone told me it was him (he was actually quite good as Renfield, even if the rest of the film was dodgy), and I don't remember seeing him in Mystery Men.

• Paid Members

Pleasingly, he's in a couple more films coming out soon-ish that look really good - The Old Man & The Gun (with Robert Redford) and The Dead Don't Die (with Adam "100% fresh" Driver).

I'm not a massive fan of the film but he's very good in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus as the Devil. 

Still, 7 years since Bad As Me. Get on with it, mate.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

He's great in Book of Eli, and it's astonishing it took people that long to cast Tom Waits as a post-apocalyptic mechanic. That said, when Imaginarium was announced it struck me as amazing that it had taken anyone, let alone Terry Gilliam, so long to get around to casting Tom Waits as a vaudeville devil.

"Down By Law" and "Wristcutters" are my favourite bits of Tom Waits acting, though, for both for different reasons.