DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Just been to see Overlord and it was really enjoyable. Works great as a horror film and a war action film. Wyatt Russell gets more like his dad with each passing film 😍

I reckon @Scott Malbranque will have to be dragged from the cinema at the end of this especially, but most people will enjoy it.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

Holy shit! I’ve never made the connection, and now I can’t unsee it!

In this, it *really* hits home who he is. His mannerisms and delivery are RJ MacReady all over.

• Paid Members

I hadn't read that, it's been given a wide release. Actually, it's great to see a studio giving such a big release to an 18 certificate horror in this day and age. But yeah, definitely one for the cinema.

• Paid Members
On 11/6/2018 at 10:30 AM, Factotum said:

Jack Lemmon is a true hero of mine. The Apartment is a masterclass in the 'every man' role which everyone has been trying to emulate since. He's my favorite part of SOME LIKE IT HOT and he steals THE ODD COUPLE as well, by being both utterly infuriating and endearing at the same time. I know people say this a lot, but they just do not make them like that anymore.

Jack Lemmon is bloody immense in that 80s drama film "Missing". Brilliant film. Really sad though. Vangelis does the music for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_(1982_film)

Jack Lemmon was up for an Oscar for it. Didn't win it unfortunately.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

On 11/5/2018 at 11:41 PM, johnnyboy said:

These 4k restorations of black and white films continue to look gorgeous.  Even without a lick of paint it's one of the best films ever made, but Lemmon's expressions and Monroe's jiggling sharpened up did add a little zing to it.  I'll be metaphorically first in line to buy a 4k Blu-ray copy of this of it if it is released to go along with my VHS, DVD, and OG Blu-ray copies.

No Betamax?  Bloody amateur.

I think Some Like It Hot might be in that rare category of perfect films.  I can't think of a single thing that could possibly make it better.  The best last line of any film as well.

• Paid Members
On 10/15/2018 at 4:01 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

I also saw it through illegal means and I'd prefer to be arrested than watch it again.

I watched Mandy tonight, because the trailer looked interesting. But have to agree here. Its not Rob Zombie horror shit, but I seemed to like the idea of it more than the actual film itself. Its quite slick for what they were going for with the 80s gimmick. And the soundtrack is awesome. But I found the film itself pretty dull. Which might be the perfect tribute to those 1980s grindhouse type releases in a way. The style and bells and whistles were usually better than the content.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I watched Mandy tonight, because the trailer looked interesting. But have to agree here. Its not Rob Zombie horror shit, but I seemed to like the idea of it more than the actual film itself. Its quite slick for what they were going for with the 80s gimmick. And the soundtrack is awesome. But I found the film itself pretty dull. Which might be the perfect tribute to those 1980s grindhouse type releases in a way. The style and bells and whistles were usually better than the content.

If it had been directed by someone who was interested in something actually happening rather than how it looked, it could have been great fun.

Just watched Outlaw King. Standard medieval epic, a real disappointment after High or High Water from David Mackenzie. Also, you barely even see Pine's plonker so there's no reason to even curiosity watch this.

• Paid Members

Apparently they cut 20 minutes off it from when it did the festivals, can't imagine how boring it must have been before then.

Just been to see The Grinch. The best bit was the Minions short on before it. There was only two of them though, didn't there used to be three main ones?