DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The Night Comes For Us has absolutely insane and awesome fight scenes but the story made very little sense to me whatsoever and I didn't give a shit about any of the characters and I never felt like there was any sense of tension at all so for that reason I would put it below The Raid. But the action is genuinely nuts and worth watching for that reason alone. There's a bit with a finger that really made my stomach turn.

46 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Matt Holness' Possum is the film of the year for me. It's unrelentingly grim and sickly, and got the look and feel of a 1970's Public Information Film, so basically my idea of heaven.

First I've heard of this. I love Darkplace and Holness hasn't done anything for an eternity so will definitely keep an eye out for it.

Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

I watched both Magic Mike films today, but are great fun, clearly elevated by Big Sexy in both of them. Ridiculously snubbed by the Oscars as expected.

I love that Big Kev offered to take off his knee brace to join in more on the dancing, but they told him to keep it on because it was funnier. Guy can't even offer to put on his working boots. #oscarssosexy

Jack Lemmon is a true hero of mine. The Apartment is a masterclass in the 'every man' role which everyone has been trying to emulate since. He's my favorite part of SOME LIKE IT HOT and he steals THE ODD COUPLE as well, by being both utterly infuriating and endearing at the same time. I know people say this a lot, but they just do not make them like that anymore.

• Paid Members

I love The Apartment, great little movie. Naif of me to be surprised, but I was nevertheless at the discussion of subjects I just didn't think Hollywood would look at in a mainstream film during that time - affairs, suicide, etc. Be that as it may, a funny, enjoyable, and eventually heartwarming film.

Also loved Jack Lemmon in Glengarry Glen Ross - probably the MVP of that film, in which there were several great performances. Al Pacino was a bit hoo-hah, but he still showed some of the old magic, I felt.

Speaking of Jack Lemmon, my brother once worked at the Box Office in The Strand theatre.  Jack Lemmon was performing in a play there, he seemed down to earth but kept himself to himself.  Out of respect, everyone let him carry on being himself and never bothered him.  One day, this was a few weeks into the run, he asked where the usual doorman was as he hadn't seen him for a few days.  Apparently all he did was wish him a good morning/afternoon as he held the door open for him.  He was told that his mother had passed away so he was having a few days off.

When the doorman returned to work a few days later, Jack Lemmon took the guy into his dressing room and talked about when his own mother died, the doorman didn't go into detail about what exactly was said as it was a very private and personal moment, but he did say that Jack helped him massively in how to approach and deal with his personal grief.

I think that was a beautiful thing to do.

• Paid Members

My top 10 Jack Lemmon performances are:-

1. The Prisoner of Second Avenue

2. Glengarry Glen Ross

3. Days of Wine and Roses

4. The Apartment

5. The Odd Couple

6. The China Syndrome

7. Missing

8. Short Cuts

9. The Out-of-Towners

10. JFK

One of my favourites of all time. They're all great films too.

Saw Widows today. Cracking crime thriller but not the modern crime masterpiece it's already being made out to be. The cast is incredible though and despite a few faults, I really enjoyed it. It was plotted a bit like a western, I thought, but that might just be me.