Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

5 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yeah, that bit's cut to shreds. Cordel is knifed A LOT more times than appeared on the VHS version. Probably goes a bit over the score. BBFC prob got that right there. Fight before the knifing is longer too when he's tossing them about. I'm almost sure Cordell gets his throat slit too in the uncut version too before the blood goes down the sinkhole.

Yeah but it's been uncut for near twenty years now. Back in the 80s the BBFC were proper snip happy. They butchered practically everything.

29 minutes ago, DEF said:

Yeah but it's been uncut for near twenty years now. Back in the 80s the BBFC were proper snip happy. They butchered practically everything.

Yeah, the "Maniac Cop" Blu Ray is uncut isn't it? I don't think Cordell's throat was slashed, I think his whole face was slashed. I remember that bit.

3 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yeah, the "Maniac Cop" Blu Ray is uncut isn't it? I don't think Cordell's throat was slashed, I think his whole face was slashed. I remember that bit.

Yeah the Blu-ray is the Uncut theatrical version and the previous DVD was the uncut extended Japanese version.

9 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah we saw that last night too. I enjoyed it, but the final act felt along with certain other parts felt a bit rushed, which for a film that went 2hrs15 might sound like an oxymoron.

There weren’t many dry eyes in the cinema by the end when

Reveal hidden contents

Jackson commits suicide, even though it was foreshadowed within the first 5 minutes, and Charlie the dog (Cooper’s real life pet) pulled the ‘Seymour waiting for Fry’ spot

I didn’t think the songs were terrible, but didn’t think they were great either, even though they were performed well.

Needed more Sam Elliott though, all films need more Sam Elliott

I’m glad I thought ‘fuck it’ and read your spoiler tag there. I don’t think I could cope with that last bit. 

Any dog doing a Seymour is going to result in tears from me.

We almost went to A Star Is Born yesterday but the Vue in Edinburgh isn’t showing it for some reason, and because the other cinemas cost twice as much, we went to see Crazy Rich Asians instead. Which is great. Super charming and ridiculously good looking. May have made the right choice for my emotional well-being!

7 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Some of the Gaga pop numbers are surely disposable pants by design.

Yeah but they weren't even good disposable pants, though. Folk acting like she's hollering out some prime Wet Wet Wet.

I gripe about it mainly because the song at the end wasn't as good as it should have been.

1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yeah, that bit's cut to shreds (in the first film). Cordel is knifed A LOT more times than appeared on the VHS version. Probably goes a bit over the score. BBFC prob got that right there. Fight before the knifing is longer too when he's tossing them about. I'm almost sure Cordell gets his throat slit too in the uncut version too before the blood goes down the sinkhole.

Yeah the uncut version sees Cordell get stabbed in the back, then you get a scene from Cordells point of view of with them slashing his face. They give him a Chelsea smile, rather than cutting his throat. It's all cut on the VHS version but has been releases uncut since then. 

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

...we went to see Crazy Rich Asians instead. Which is great. Super charming and ridiculously good looking.

Isn't it just.  I've seen it twice now as I went once with the Mrs and then again with the whole family.  Universally loved in Chez JB.

Cousin Oliver steals it every time:

It's about time that someone stood up to Auntie Eleanor... but not me you understand.  She must never know that I was here!

7 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I’m glad I thought ‘fuck it’ and read your spoiler tag there. I don’t think I could cope with that last bit. 

Reveal hidden contents

Any dog doing a Seymour is going to result in tears from me.

We almost went to A Star Is Born yesterday but the Vue in Edinburgh isn’t showing it for some reason, and because the other cinemas cost twice as much, we went to see Crazy Rich Asians instead. Which is great. Super charming and ridiculously good looking. May have made the right choice for my emotional well-being!

It wasn’t showing at our Vue for some reason either, so we ended up going to Odeon which I haven’t been to since Transformers 2. It’s in the middle of a refurb but they’ve change all the chairs to lazy boys, and it’s possibly the comfiest trip to the cinema I’ve ever had and tickets were just under £6 which I didn’t think was too bad

8 hours ago, DEF said:

If I'm remembering correctly,  the then head of the BBFC had a real dislike of knives and sharp implements I believe.

While I'm at it, I'll recommend both Video Nasties The Difinitive Guide sets. Well worth picking up.

Stuck Netflix on and RoboCop 2 popped up.  As I'm home feeling poorly I thought, why not?

Mainly it looks much better than I remember the VHS looking in 1992, however, the final battle would not look out of place on MTV Celebrity Deathmatch.

I'm going to jump on YouTube now to look for a RoboCop series advert compilation.

Edit: there we go.

Edited by johnnyboy

8 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I'm almost sure Cordell gets his throat slit too in the uncut version too before the blood goes down the sinkhole.

8 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I don't think Cordell's throat was slashed, 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

If I'm remembering correctly,  the then head of the BBFC had a real dislike of knives and sharp implements I believe.

While I'm at it, I'll recommend both Video Nasties The Difinitive Guide sets. Well worth picking up.

James Ferman. He had a strong dislike against anything that could be imitated or was seen as illegal, so knives and, randomly nunchuks, which led to the editing of Michelangelo using sausages as a weapon in Turtles 2. He was an odd fella, went from a zealous crusade of censorship to being seen as not giving a shit towards the end of his role and calling for the legalisation of hardcore, while still defending his banning of films from years earlier. Channel 4 did some cracking documentaries about him, about 20 years ago which had some good talking head footage with him before he stepped down.

There's a bit about him on the Video Nasty documentaries as well if I remember rightly. Brilliant documentaries, by the way.