DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just went all the way to Sheffield to see The Guilty....

That's an interesting side topic. I wonder how far people have traveled to see a film in limited release. 16 year old me went to London to see Beyond The Mat which was about an hour away but I am sure people can top that

• Paid Members

I went from Cheltenham to London to watch a Troma triple bill. Didn't go all the way back the same night though. That's a fair old trip on the train. Probably 3hours or so including the tube.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, DEF said:

I went from Cheltenham to London to watch a Troma triple bill.

I'd go that far to avoid one.

Just watched The Night Comes for Us. Much better than Headshot and The Raid 2, and probably slightly better than The Raid. Iko Uwais is great, because he's also a pretty good actor. The meat locker scene was fucking terrific. Very much liked this.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'd go that far to avoid one.

Well yeah but you don't like Troma. Seems redundant.

I'm going to watch The Night Comes For Us tonight. How is Headshot? I just never got round to it. Are we talking The Raid 2 in so much it has cool fights but a ridiculously long and meandering plot?

• Paid Members
Just now, DEF said:

Well yeah but you don't like Troma. Seems redundant.

I'm going to watch The Night Comes For Us tonight. How is Headshot? I just never got round to it. Are we talking The Raid 2 in so much it has cool fights but a ridiculously long and meandering plot?

Yes, and Headshot has the additional problem that the fight scenes are so repetitive. Most people seemed to like it but the consensus is that The Night Comes for Us is a major improvement. It's much more varied and at least offsets its lengthiness by almost never stopping.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed First Man. Nothing revolutionary and I'll probably have forgotten about it by Monday but really well made and acted. Plus it upset loads of MAGA twats so that's a bonus.

Ryan Gosling needs a big box office hit though, doesn't he? Three of his last four have been big flops. And I'm still bitter about two of them.

Nah he's OK. He doesn't make Blockbusters, he makes award contenders, therefore the relatively low box office is offset by the amount of nominations he or the film are going to get which therefore raises the profile of said film and probably earns the money back in some way.

The Nice Guys though should have gone through the roof. Bitter that we're not getting a sequel to that. I still hold out hope though, but with the flop of The Predator, not sure Shane Black's bargaining juice has gone up any.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

La la land was so shit. I couldn't finish it. I like all the people involved, but it just is clearly not for me.

There's a bunch of people criticising Damien Chazelle for taking First Man after La La Land because the Neil Armstrong story "lacks ambition". Like La La Land was a cultural revolution.

4 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

Can anyone help? Does anyone know which Friday the 13th it is where someone comes out of the lake at the end. I think it happens twice in the first 4 or 5. Cheers.

I remember that Jason pops out of the lake at the end of the first film, because that was the whole catalyst to the sequels. The third film mimics the first film except wit Mrs Voorhees jumping out of the lake to drag someone out of a boat on the lake. Though that is just a dream.