Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Has anyone ever seen Nick of Time with Johnny Depp?

If you haven't and you think "Ooooh, Hitchockian,  eh? I might pop this on", don't. It's the celluloid equivalent of Steps. Although,  Faye...

Also, I think I'm the only person I know who really loved Venom. It was absolutely bonkers. Reminiscent of The Mask. I loved it. It's my new Hudson Hawk by the looks of it.

I’ve managed to avoid pretty much everything he’s ever been in as the lead apart from Public Enemies which me & my wife saw on an early date. Think they only other things I’ve seen him in are Nightmare on Elm Street and Platoon, which you can barely even call a bit part from I remember 

16 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Also, I think I'm the only person I know who really loved Venom. It was absolutely bonkers. Reminiscent of The Mask. I loved it. It's my new Hudson Hawk by the looks of it. 

Ah crap, now I have to go see it. I'll go see it with my brother next week as he is visiting. He is the one that introduced me to Hudson Hawk, after all. I'm blaming you if it's shite, Scotty

A Star Is Born has some heat to it. I was very impressed with Lady Gaga's performance and her chemistry with the Coops is golden.

The songs are mostly shite, though, even if they're performed impressively. It ruined the ending a bit.

Yeah we saw that last night too. I enjoyed it, but the final act felt along with certain other parts felt a bit rushed, which for a film that went 2hrs15 might sound like an oxymoron.

There weren’t many dry eyes in the cinema by the end when

Jackson commits suicide, even though it was foreshadowed within the first 5 minutes, and Charlie the dog (Cooper’s real life pet) pulled the ‘Seymour waiting for Fry’ spot

I didn’t think the songs were terrible, but didn’t think they were great either, even though they were performed well.

Needed more Sam Elliott though, all films need more Sam Elliott

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I really don't get the appeal of Bradley Cooper at all. He must be the dullest A-lister of his generation and perhaps most others.

9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I really don't get the appeal of Bradley Cooper at all. He must be the dullest A-lister of his generation and perhaps most others.

I agree. I didn't even realise for the first few episodes of Wet Hot American Summer season 2 that he'd been replaced by Adam Scott.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Just watched Maniac Cop 2 and 3. The second one is the best of the series, there's a fire stunt in there which is legitimately one of the most lunatic things I've ever seen. It's great fun.

The third one's a bit of a mess in terms of its plot and makes no sense at times but again it's pretty good fun and has a bizarrely talented cast for a slasher sequel.

I fucking love Maniac Cop. The 2nd is defo the best, but all are good. 3 had potential to be the best, the initial plot is quite good, but it's messy, you can tell watching it that it had a troubled production.

Ahhhhhh I just love Maniac Cop. As you say, the cast is great in all 3 films. Bruce Campbell, Robert Davi, Tom Atkins, Laurene Landon, Robert Z'Dar, Shaft, Jake Lamotta, James Earl Jones' dad. There's a crew.

Best part is the flashback scene in the first one (I think you get chopped down version in all 3 films.) It's the scene with Cordell up in court and getting jumped in prison.

I once had a night in my flat with my mates, we got steamin and watched the 3 Maniac Cops in a row, then watched Stepfather from 1987 (another personal favourite.) It was great.

Edited by LEGIT

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ah crap, now I have to go see it. I'll go see it with my brother next week as he is visiting. He is the one that introduced me to Hudson Hawk, after all. I'm blaming you if it's shite, Scotty

I went in expecting absolute diatribe and I found myself laughing and thoroughly enjoying the movie. I think the gutter expectations worked in my favour on this. 

It's a bit all over the place but it's the right kind of disjointed mess, if that makes sense. I defy anyone to hold in a smile during

the restaurant scene

I'll give you a free shot at hitting me a dead arm, if you hate it Chest, but I really think you might like it. Particularly if you're partial to the Hudson Hawks of the world.

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

The songs are mostly shite, though, even if they're performed impressively.

The Jackson numbers penned by Jason Isbell and that are proper quality, which make Jackson even more real.  Some of the Gaga pop numbers are surely disposable pants by design.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I really don't get the appeal of Bradley Cooper at all.

Gorgeous, believeable in his roles, just directed a really good film at his first attempt.  That said, I don't think he necessarily carries a film by himself for me.  I wouldn't go and see any film just to see him if I was on the fence about seeing it anyway.

The Hate U Give

It tries.  It's heart is in the right place, but it's really ham-fisted.  When I same ham-fisted, it was actually like having a gammon joint forced up my hoop.  I've never seen a film repeatedly explain its title so many times, like 2PAC said.  Some of the scenes look like they were filmed on a budget of £4 and the teenage boyfriend has a Diego Costa face.  Apparently he's only 21 in reality.

Brads Status

I really bloody enjoyed this. Nothing ground-breaking, but I love a mid life crisis picture. Reminded me of an Alexander Payne film, and whilst I genuinely like Ben Stiller as an actor, I think he`s really good in this. 

I finally caught up with Ghost Stories tonight. Really enjoyed it. Couldn't shake the feeling that it was an extended version of Inside No. 9, but that's no bad thing at all. Some of the jump scares really got me.

8 hours ago, LEGIT said:

Best part is the flashback scene in the first one (I think you get chopped down version in all 3 films.) It's the scene with Cordell up in court and getting jumped in prison.

Yeah, that bit's cut to shreds (in the first film). Cordel is knifed A LOT more times than appeared on the VHS version. Probably goes a bit over the score. BBFC prob got that right there. Fight before the knifing is longer too when he's tossing them about. I'm almost sure Cordell gets his throat slit too in the uncut version too before the blood goes down the sinkhole.

Edited by bAzTNM#1