DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
45 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I forgot but that Disney Nutcracker film comes out this weekend. Does anyone care? Who does it appeal to?

My dancing-crazed daughter is desperate to see it. It has a "mums and daughters" cinema trip to it. And it'll be gifted to aspiring dancers forever more.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

My dancing-crazed daughter is desperate to see it. It has a "mums and daughters" cinema trip to it. And it'll be gifted to aspiring dancers forever more.

I hope I’m wrong. But what was the last live action Disney film that did well that wasn’t based on a theme park attraction or animated film? Marvel and Star Wars normally are huge, but their live action output for years has been woeful

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

I don't think that the first Transformers movie is that bad, nothing special but not awful. The sequels are where the series really goes down the pan.

This is my take. The first one is worth a watch. It's even really quite good for the first hour but goes to pot abit when they start mishandling the Autobots.

The sequels very nearly killed my love of Transformers though. They just bummed me out like you wouldn't believe. Particularly how they clearly didn't understand the Optimus Prime I grew up with. I think it's the third one where he gleefully executed a Decepticon at the end. He's supposed to be a hero to little kids like he was in the 80s. Proper saddened me that they could get him so wrong.

Not to mention they are also bloody awful in nearly every other way.

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I hope I’m wrong. But what was the last live action Disney film that did well that wasn’t based on a theme park attraction or animated film? Marvel and Star Wars normally are huge, but their live action output for years has been woeful

It'll gently flop in the cinema. But home viewings will be evergreen for gifts, dance schools and school projects. And as it's Christmas themed it gains an excuse to be wheeled out every December. 

• Paid Members

My 11 year old daughter hasn't even hinted at wanting to see it, which is a massive relief to me because it looks like hell and I hate Disney.

She did watch Halloween with me last night and loved it, especially the music. She seems genuinely interested in John Carpenter when I talked about his music and other films. I've never felt prouder as a parent.

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don't know if it did very well at the box office, but Queen Of Katwe a couple of years ago was pretty decent.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I don't know if it did very well at the box office, but Queen Of Katwe a couple of years ago was pretty decent.

No, it was one of their low budget releases. Tomorrowland and John Carter I both really enjoyed, and they were huge bombs. Tron Legacy did $400 million worldwide but they were expecting Avatar numbers (god knows why). Oz was probably their last big hit at just shy of $500 million, though it was a kind of prequel to the original and it sucked. A Wrinkle in Time was supposed to be huge and did less then $130 million worldwide and cost more to make then it grossed. At least John Carter and Lone Ranger made more then the production costs, even if they too also lost a lot of money

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

John Carter is a fun film. The hate it got always makes me think someone at Disney really wanted to make that Star Wars deal so tanked that film to show the money men it was needed.

Didn't help that the source material "inspired" films like Flash Gordon and almost the entire 3rd act of Attack of the Clones, so there was a case of Deja Vu. 

Again though, picked the wrong leads to save some money. 

• Paid Members

Just went all the way to Sheffield to see The Guilty, a Danish thriller which has been getting rave reviews. I'll be amazed if this isn't remade by the end of next year. Doesn't obsess itself with the one location gimmick and concentrates on the story, which is superb. Loved it.