DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

33 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Favreau's biggest mis-step for me is Chef, I've said before on here that it's one of my all time worst films, it's dreadful. 

Aren't you the Wrong'un who had Watchmen as their all time best film though?

Chef is a wonderful film.

• Paid Members

Maybe a little off the point, but how refreshing is it that in a world where most film trailers pretty much give away the whole movie the trailer for Widows is 30 seconds establishing the premise and then is done? Unless there's some kind of trailer like that doing the rounds as well.

I can't decide whether it's because the movie is dogshit or because the studio has gone for a "less is more" approach to try and generate more interest in the film. 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Season 2 of The OC. Stone cold classic.

Yeah, she looks incredible in it. The only other decent thing I've seen her in is House. Every film I've seen that she's appeared in has been crap, although she wasn't necessarily the worst element in it. Case in point: Tron Legacy. I loved the original, so was massively disappointed by how boring and stilted Legacy was. Almost exactly the same storyline, with a badly-shoehorned-in Holocaust reference, with long stretches of boredom, punctuated only by Michael Sheen chewing the scenery. The Daft Punk soundtrack was great, and visually was stunning - one of the only films where 3D actually enhances, but ultimately, like the other notable example, Avatar, the visual spectacle just isn't enough to distract from the fact that it's just a bad movie.

• Paid Members

Procrastinating at work yesterday, and with it being the spooky season and all, I ended up reading a bunch of "Did You Know?" lists about the Halloween, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street franchises. 

Settling in last night, figured I'd treat myself to a horror movie before bed. For some reason, I opted for Halloween 6: The Curse Of Michael Myers.

I genuinely can't remember if I'd seen this one before or not. I'd definitely misremembered the ending - I thought it ended with a Loomis heel turn, joining the druid cult, but apparently that was only ever a proposed storyline that they never followed up on, so I must have read about that and got things wrong.

It's mostly shit, obviously. Paul Rudd is atrocious in it, and the story is meandering rubbish. But I still kind of liked it. I love a spooky cult, and I figure if you're going to try and give Michael Myers backstory, I'd rather it be bonkers cultists and men in black than Rob Zombie showing us extended scenes of him as a little kid. Donald Pleasence was good in it, too.

• Paid Members

Speaking of Michael Sheen, as Glenbomb was doing up there, he's certainly the best thing in Slaughterhouse Rulez. Fun little horror comedy but nothing more. Also, Hermione Corfield in a school uniform.

6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Speaking of Michael Sheen, as Glenbomb was doing up there, he's certainly the best thing in Slaughterhouse Rulez. Fun little horror comedy but nothing more. Also, Hermione Corfield in a school uniform.

Yeah, alright Boydy...

Watched Delivery Man last night for some reason.

It wasn't as awful as I expected but I refuse to believe that walking glazed Ham Vince Vaughn could bag actual angel Cobie Smulders....

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, she looks incredible in it. The only other decent thing I've seen her in is House. Every film I've seen that she's appeared in has been crap, although she wasn't necessarily the worst element in it. Case in point: Tron Legacy. I loved the original, so was massively disappointed by how boring and stilted Legacy was. Almost exactly the same storyline, with a badly-shoehorned-in Holocaust reference, with long stretches of boredom, punctuated only by Michael Sheen chewing the scenery. The Daft Punk soundtrack was great, and visually was stunning - one of the only films where 3D actually enhances, but ultimately, like the other notable example, Avatar, the visual spectacle just isn't enough to distract from the fact that it's just a bad movie.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

I love Tron Legacy even though in my heart of hearts its not a great movie, I love the visuals that much I over look the negatives. Including Garrett Hedlund. What a poor lead! Its probably in my top 50 list, probably top 30, even though it could have been better. I am gutted Tomorrowland bombed because Tron 3 was about to start production and was cancelled after the box office numbers arrived Monday. I think they could have made a better 3rd one.

Last I heard last year was a reboot with Jared Letto and i'd rather watch the greasy strangler on a loop then watch him be shit in a film I would have otherwise have been invested in.

Side note, I am another one who thought Chef was a lovely little film.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Sorry, no can do. I'm probably a little like you in that, if I like a franchise, there's always a chance that I'll enjoy a film from it even if it's bad; certainly, that was the case with the Green Lantern movie, which was pants, but I was just thrilled with finally seeing Green Lantern on the screen. 

However, there are some movies that are just so bad that even my love for the franchise won't help, and Tron Legacy is one of them. Same went for the third Spider-Man film, Star Trek V, and pretty much every DC Cinematic Universe (or whatever it's called) film going, with maybe the exception of Wonder Woman, but only because I haven't seen it yet.

• Awards Moderator
10 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Sorry, no can do. I'm probably a little like you in that, if I like a franchise, there's always a chance that I'll enjoy a film from it even if it's bad; certainly, that was the case with the Green Lantern movie, which was pants, but I was just thrilled with finally seeing Green Lantern on the screen. 

However, there are some movies that are just so bad that even my love for the franchise won't help, and Tron Legacy is one of them. Same went for the third Spider-Man film, Star Trek V, and pretty much every DC Cinematic Universe (or whatever it's called) film going, with maybe the exception of Wonder Woman, but only because I haven't seen it yet.

Without veering into Superhero Movie Thread territory, having filled the last gap in my DCEU knowledge by watching Justice League the other week, I can confirm that Wonder Woman is the only one that's not a load of shite. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Without veering into Superhero Movie Thread territory, having filled the last gap in my DCEU knowledge by watching Justice League the other week, I can confirm that Wonder Woman is the only one that's not a load of shite. 

I thought JL was better then it was looking like it could have been (I mean, it's still not great by any stretch) and thought Wonder Woman, while the best of the lot, was nowhere near the amazing movie it was being touted as in some circles.

I forgot but that Disney Nutcracker film comes out this weekend. Does anyone care? Who does it appeal to?

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

This perfectly explains my love for the 2007 Transformers movie. Me and my friends were drawn due to our love of the old TV show. This was way before every toy line and cartoon was getting a modern reboot, so it felt special. We counted down the days from the trailer all the way to release day. We sat in the front row the day after to finally watch this magnus opus, and despite it's MANY flaws, we all looked past them because it was fucking Transformers. I vividly remember me and my mate shaking hands in a "Yes, we made it!" way when Optimus Prime first appeared on-screen.

Looking back now, it's mental how absolutely terrible the movie is. But I'll always have a soft spot for it. All the others are absolute gash though, without question.